PDA

View Full Version : LFP 5E Icewind Dale/Rime of the Frostmaiden (UTC-7/MST)

DMLars
September 5th, 2021, 06:39
FG License: Ultimate License (players only need demo)
Game System: D&D 5E
Timezone: MST (UTC -7)
Day of week and time: Wednesday, 6:30 to 10:30-11 PM
New game, planned start date: Session Zero, September 15th
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4-4.5 Hour session, Bi-Weekly
Term: Long term (Approximately 2 yrs)
Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No
Roleplay & Combat mix: I strive for an equal split of Combat/Exploration/Roleplay
Number of Players in game & needed: 5
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level with predetermined gold based on class, equipment is then purchased from PHB. Standard gold and misc. equipment based on background is taken at character creation.
Character restrictions: Most WOTC published races and classes are allowed.
PHB/DMG Variant Rules: Variant Encumbrance, Lingering Injuries, Slow Natural Healing, Feats, Multi-Classing, System Shock, Flanking, Fear/Horror checks, DMG Combat Maneuvers.
House Rules: Random Initiative each round, Variant Critical Hit (max damage on the first dice of doubled dice), Stricter Cold Weather, more difficult Medicine checks.

5E Icewind Dale/Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign
Night has fallen upon Icewind Dale. Starting gradually over the last few years the sun's rays have been seen less and less. Now, the sun no longer rises and the frozen north’s thin connection to the Sword Coast has been cut off and the people of Ten Towns and the Reghed tribes must fend for themselves. A divine force has locked the land in frozen night. Rumors whisper of shadowy figures forging a devastating weapon in the mountains. Remnants of ancient power awaken deep beneath the ice.
Cut off from the outside world, the people of Ten Towns must rely on themselves to face the dangers upon and below the frozen tundra. The characters are people of Ten Towns, either natives of the land or travelers who arrived prior to the long night. You and the rest of the people of Ten Towns have been hardened by the brutal cold of the land but the eternal night eats away at everyone. No heroes are coming from the Sword Coast to save the people of Ten Towns. Only you can save yourselves. (I am no expert on Forgotten Realms and this campaign may stray from canon and the campaign book a little. I will use The Icewind Dale Trilogy, Legacy of the Crystal Shard, and 5E campaign books as the main references.)

DM Style: I enjoy running adventures with heroic characters who have to deal with combating evil forces, but not every situation is straight forward combat. I do love a good combat session but I also enjoy introducing struggles dealing with limited items, bad weather, and a lack of rest. The requirement that strategic planning of resources is required to defeat the enemy is always part of my campaigns. I'd like to think that I'm a pretty fair DM. I value story and in particular including the pc's backgrounds into the campaign whenever I can. The rules are important, but they are not a crutch. I do ask my players for input on rulings, but in the end I will make the decision that I think is best for the overall story. I also like to know each player's earthly mundane name (for example, I go by Lars).

Additional Player Info:
Knowledge of the Forgotten Realms is not needed! All players are welcome, new players as well as veterans but must be 18+. If this is your first 5E game, then you will be introduced to many variant rules from the DMG. Rules will be consistent 5E, other than the upfront variants you will know about before character creation. No unexpected rules from the DM that will nerf your character after they are made. Character creation will be during Session Zero. Each player will be given a “character secret” to slightly shape their character throughout the game and during character creation. Players will be required to make a character that has story potential as someone in Icewind Dale (or arrived within the last year) and one who can work with the group. A backstory is required. The most important requirement though is YOUR commitment to the group. What I mean by this is: if you feel you cannot consistently make the sessions, please do not respond. I do understand that real-life situations come up, but if a player “no shows” or cancels at the last minute more than twice, that player will be asked to step out of the game as their life is just too busy at this time.

About me: I first played D&D in the late 80’s and in the early 90’s (High School) I started running my first campaign using D&D 2E. As you often hear about gaming, everyone went their separate ways and I was only able to enjoy D&D through video games until 5E came out in 2014. I ran a few sessions for my family and then started actively running a campaign. I have consistently run 5E campaigns using FG since 2018. I have run three 5E campaigns to 15th level, typically over the course of 2 years per campaign.

If interested, please first read the attached campaign document. Then DM me the following.
1. What is your experience with D&D?:
2. What are your favorite parts about D&D?:
3. What are your least favorite parts about D&D?:
4. What is one thing that you want to accomplish in D&D but haven't?:
5. What are you looking for in this campaign?:
6. How would you describe your play style?:
7. Tell me about the character or type of character you'd like to play in this game?:
8. Please share a bit about yourself and your personality. (Only what you are comfortable with):
9. Fantasy Grounds experience?:
10. Any questions you may have?:

wogle
September 5th, 2021, 18:30
I'd be interested in this. Sending you a message with the requested info shortly.

deer_buster
September 10th, 2021, 04:39
Sent PM

DMLars
September 11th, 2021, 01:10
Group is full. Thanks to all who applied.