PDA

View Full Version : Drag & Drop often not working (for e.g. draging a note, or dice from within a sheet)

masterqgj
September 4th, 2021, 17:59
Hi,

i noticed a bug quite often in the past few weeks and was unable to find it in the boards yet.

It happens quite often that i want to drag and drop an item in FGU, for e.g. a note into the Chat, an item from an item list, a dice (and add a few more dice using the rightclick) from a skill attack and such and it happens so often that, instead of dragging the "item", the game recognizes as if i clicked it and instead opens the data sheet, or rolls the dice immediately. I found out, that this does not only happen to me, but another gamemaster i'm playing with too.

I was unable to reproduce it for 100%, but it happens in like 50% of all cases and it can get somewhat cumbersome over the time.

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2021, 18:56
For what ruleset?

Are you using any extensions? Have you tested in a new campaign without extensions?

I'm not able to reproduce any of the issues you are finding.

masterqgj
September 4th, 2021, 19:06
Both D&D 5e and Starfinder.

Actually, yes, we're using few extensions, i gonna give it a try later today and check it out without them. I'm not sure if the issue has to do with them though since it occurs on both - players side (no extensions loaded) and gamemaster side (extensions loaded) - but who knows - better to check it out. I'll post the result here later. Thanks for giving me the hint - i didn't even think about that.

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2021, 19:18
If the DM has an extension loaded then so do the players.

If it's happening in two Core based rulesets then I'd look at an extension that works in Core.

masterqgj
September 4th, 2021, 22:52
FGU Launcher: 4.1.0 (2021-05-27)
FGU: 4.1.5 (2021-08-26)

I have now tested the issue without any extensons or modules in a basic D&D 5e SRD testgame and i can reproduce the issue as following:

1. drag an image from "Images" (use the "Shield" icon to drag it for e.g. onto the empty field)
2. the image will open
3. close the image (using rightclick --> close window)
4. drag the same or another image from the list the same way as in step 1
5. the "shield" icon is not dragged, instead the picture immediately opens when you stop pressing the left mousebutton.

The game behaves the same way when you try to drag the "shield" icon from for e.g. character abilities.

Another way (affecting the rolls for e.g. damagedie / hit rolls in the actions tab:

1. drag a shield icon from a weapon or feat into the empty field
2. the description opens
3. close the window
4. try to drag a hit die or damage die from the actions tab (for e.g. the 1d6 dmg for a weapon)
5. instead of dragging the die it does get immediately rolled

The same behaviour occurs in starfinder SRD. If you add for e.g. a spell with an heal effect, you cannot drag the "heal" die after you opened and close the spells description window. I can confirm, that it is enough to simply open a picture, you do not have to "drag" it at all. Open/Close --> issue appears

The good news is: The issue only appears one time after opening/closing an image/description - the 2nd try each time worked as expected and it seems that the issue does not occur if you keep the image/descprition window open. But it's a little bit annoying when you have a target locked in and the damage die are rolled before you were able to adjust the number of die

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2021, 00:41
What is this empty field you are dragging to?

If I drag an image to chat for example it creates a link in the chat window, same if I drag it to a story entry it creates a link. The image will open if I click and not hold the left mouse button down but holding the left mouse button down drags it.

Are you using a mouse or some other input device? Do you have any overlays on or some software which is intercepting mouse clicks?

masterqgj
September 5th, 2021, 11:19
The empty, "leatherlike" background, where the decal is shown. Like "the background" - the image, or datasheet or whatever you drag opens now. I'm not sure how else i could describe it. :(

Actually: You do not have to "drag" the image / description at all - it is enough to just open it and close it again.

- i'm using a mouse
- Logitech G600
- standard profile (only colors are adjusted, mousebuttons are as usuall, left, right, middle)
- i have no overlays (i use FGU without steam for e.g.) activated

I double checked it: If i drag the image / description into the Chat it creates a link - no window pops up and the issue here does NOT appear to happen!

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2021, 11:57
Ok, I think we may be talking at cross purposes or are misunderstanding what each of us thinks the problem is.

Let's take images first. If I open the images list and drag the link icon (the little button on the left of the image) and drop that onto the background then it will open the image. This is standard behaviour and has always been the case. If you drop the image on something - chat, story, note, another image etc then it creates a link when you drop it. All this is working for me and I see no hitches at all as far as any of this is concerned. Is this what you are seeing and just don't realise that dropping an image on the background opens it?

Now look at dice. If I drag an attack dice and drop that into the chat then it will roll an attack roll provided that I have a target selected. If I drop it onto a token that I have targeted on the map or onto an NPC on the CT then that rolls an attack when I release the drag. If I drop the dice onto the background nothing happens. This is standard behaviour and I'm not seeing any issues with any of this. If I drag a skill roll and drop that onto the chat it rolls a skill roll. If I drag and drop it onto the background nothing happens. This is all standard behaviour and I'm not seeing any issues with any of that.

Let's look at items. If I drag the link icon from an item on the item list I can drop it onto a players inventory and it adds it to the inventory. I can add it to a treasure parcel by doing the same thing. I can drop it on a story entry or note and it creates a link. If I drop it onto the background it opens the item. All of this is standard behaviour and I'm not seeing any issues with any of that.

So what is it that I'm not doing that will replicate what you are seeing?

masterqgj
September 5th, 2021, 12:03
Yea, sorry that we're "talking at cross purposes" - english is not my native language and it's kinda hard to make clear what i mean :(. I'm really sorry.

You described it, as if there are two problems - but that's not the case. The one behaviour leads to the other problem. So try it as follows:

Let's take images first. If I open the images list and drag the link icon (the little button on the left of the image) and drop that onto the background then it will open the image. This is standard behaviour and has always been the case. If you drop the image on something - chat, story, note, another image etc then it creates a link when you drop it. All this is working for me and I see no hitches at all as far as any of this is concerned. Is this what you are seeing and just don't realise that dropping an image on the background opens it?
--> i know, that it is standard behaviour that an image gets opened if you drop it on the background - but exactly that leads to my issue in the following steps. So: Drag and drop an image, or note or whatever you can drag and drop to the background to open the corresponding window --> and CLOSE that window again

Now look at dice. If I drag an attack dice and drop that into the chat then it will roll an attack roll provided that I have a target selected. If I drop it onto a token that I have targeted on the map or onto an NPC on the CT then that rolls an attack when I release the drag. If I drop the dice onto the background nothing happens. This is standard behaviour and I'm not seeing any issues with any of this. If I drag a skill roll and drop that onto the chat it rolls a skill roll. If I drag and drop it onto the background nothing happens. This is all standard behaviour and I'm not seeing any issues with any of that.
--> after you dropped the link from the previous step and closed the window try to DRAG and DROP ANY diceroll from within a characters sheet (for e.g. an attack or damage-roll) AS IF you want to add another dice (you can right click, once you start dragging a roll, but in this case it won't work!)

Do you have any idea on how i could upload several pictures to the thread without having to upload them to like imgur or smth. like that? I could make several images to give a better description, but i haven't foudn a good way to upload them yet.

Trying to upload the images (Steps 1, 2, 3)

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2021, 12:32
You are limited to how many attachments you can have on each post.

Now, I'm not very familiar with the SF ruleset so I could be doing this incorrectly. But I set up a heal and followed your steps and I'm not seeing any issue. I tried it with the 5e ruleset as well and I can't replicate it there either. So I'm a little baffled as to what exactly is going on for you.

Edit: I made a short video showing what I'm doing https://youtu.be/1s1fewQCaVc

masterqgj
September 5th, 2021, 12:44
Mhmm strange, since i have it happening in both, SF and D&D 5e and can reproduce it each and every time - but i have no idea why it behaves that way nor when it started. I know that it didn't happen in the first few weeks / month of using FGU - at least i didn't notice that behaviour.

Dammit....okay, i gonna try to get a player of mine to setup a demo campaign and let them check if they can reproducie the issue themselfs too, or if it (for whatsoever reason) happens only on my PC.

DCrumb
September 5th, 2021, 19:43
@Zacchaeus Instead of closing the sub-window using the X in the top right corner, check to see if the problem occurs after using the right click menu to close the sub-window, as that is one of the steps that the OP used.

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2021, 19:56
I tried both methods but didn't find any difference.