PDA

View Full Version : FGU disappeared?

Vegard
September 3rd, 2021, 21:53
Hi, I encountered a very strange problem just now. I have been using FGU for about a year now and clocked 374 hours. Now I was about to open it to do some things (I am a DM). When I opened the program it asked me to update. I did. Then FGU disappeared. I use Steam-version, and in Steam it appeared to still be installed, but the icon disappeared from my screen outside of steam. When I tried to restart it from Steam I was guided to install it. Well, I needed to get in, so I reinstalled it (even though I never deleted it in the first place), but it gets stuck on the screen that gives the question "Would you like to create Desktop or Star Menu shortcuts?". The "finish" button doesn't work.

In short: I updated FGU, the update somehow deleted FGU and now I can't reinstall it. Any tips here?

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2021, 22:08
Sounds like your anti virus got involved somewhere along the line. Check that it hasn't quarantined FGU and make sure you have an exception in place for the entire FGU installation folder.

Vegard
September 3rd, 2021, 22:18
I don't have antivirus and I have disabled the firewall from windows, so that is unlikely to be the problem

FyreM
September 3rd, 2021, 22:23
"I don't have antivirus"..... i hope to AO that you mean you dont have anything other than Microsoft Defender

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2021, 22:41
Have you checked your FG installation and Data directories? What is in them? Can you post screen shots showing us what they contain?

Vegard
September 3rd, 2021, 22:52
I remembered last time I encountered a very weird problem I couldn't find any info on, and that somehow solved itself by just turning the computer off and on again. Did it now, and now I could install it. Can't find any reason why it deleted itself in the first place, but at least now it's working again.

(I only visit like 4 webpages and I trust them all, so I can't really see why having no antivirus should be a problem. Actually, the antivirus was causing way more inconvenience and issues for me than just taking the "risk" of not having one)

Lo Zeno
September 6th, 2021, 10:17
(I only visit like 4 webpages and I trust them all, so I can't really see why having no antivirus should be a problem. Actually, the antivirus was causing way more inconvenience and issues for me than just taking the "risk" of not having one)

Let me preface by saying that I'm not calling you a liar; but in my experience, every time I have been called to work on some strange issue on a computer, like programs that "disappear" misteriously, any person who "only visits those four webpages that they trust" usually either forgot about "that one time that they opened an attachment from an email, but I swear it's an email from my boss/sibling/partner" or turns out that one of the four webpage they visit that they trust does not deserve to be trusted at all.
This to say, surfing the web is like driving on the road: you can be the best driver around, following all the rules of the road and never even getting a speed ticket, but if some drunk ******* decides not to stop at a red light you're ****ed. Same with emails you get from your trusted addresses, same with webpages that you trust that get compromised by some criminal. Modern malwares are not like the computer viruses of 1980s and 1990s, they don't make your screen "rain letters" like in The Matrix, nor they show popups and scary messages: if one gets in, it tries not to show itself until it has done the damage.
You don't need to have an antivirus constantly running in your machine if you don't want it, but it's always a good idea, when something looks odd, to install one, run a full scan once, then uninstall it, just to confirm that there's no malware present - at the very least you'll be able to tell the developer "I have already confirmed that there is no malware in my computer", which will save time for them in tracking down the cause of the issue.