PDA

View Full Version : Failed to launch Fantasy Grounds

Gryffe
September 1st, 2021, 22:18
I recently bought Fantasy Grounds Unity on steam and messed around with it for a while. It worked fine on the first day and I was looking forward to returning the day after (which by now is yesterday).

However, since the first day of using the program, I haven't been able to launch it. I open the FGUpdaterEngine and press "Launch Fantasy Grounds". I then get the message "Failed to launch Fantasy Grounds" immediately as if it didn't even attempt to launch it. Looking in the directory where the FGUpdaterEngine was located, the only other executable is the UnityCrashHandler64. I could swear that on the day the program worked, there was another executable that was just Fantasy Grounds.

So I try pressing Update. I get the following:

Beginning Update
Getting products...
Found 19 products
Getting purchases...
No purchases found
Checking for Forge subscriptions...
No Forge subscriptions found
Checking for updates...
Updating Program Files
Checking package FantasyGroundsUpdater for updates
Checking package FantasyGrounds for updates
FantasyGrounds Updating
FantasyGrounds Decompressing
HandleFile: Unable to save file
(FantasyGrounds.exe)
FantasyGrounds Update Complete
Validating packages...
19 products checked
1 product updated
18 products up to date

So yeah, seems like it's having trouble saving the FantasyGrounds.exe file. I have no clue how to fix this. I've tried rebooting the app, reinstalling it, and rebooting the PC, and nothing has worked. Any help would be appreciated.

Moon Wizard
September 1st, 2021, 22:27
If you go to the folder where Fantasy Grounds is installed,
(usually C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\)

Try deleting FantasyGrounds.exe; then running FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe from there and running a new Check For Updates.

If that doesn't work, check your security software to make sure that there is nothing quarantining the software.

Regards,
JPG

Gryffe
September 1st, 2021, 22:30
Hi, thanks for responding so quickly

Like I said in the post, the FantasyGrounds.exe file doesn't exist. It definitely did when I first bought the program and played around with it, but it doesn't appear in the install directory, regardless of how many times I run the updater engine.

According to the log it seems it's having trouble "saving" the file.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2021, 22:54
Check your anti-virus/security software. It sounds like it is trying to protect you by removing and quarantining the fantasygrounds.exe file.

Gryffe
September 1st, 2021, 22:59
Yes, I have managed to locate the issue and it was indeed the antivirus. Thanks to both of you! :D