PDA

View Full Version : Intense lag issues

MrSir
September 1st, 2021, 13:59
Played a session Last Sunday night with myself as GM, and my wife connecting as a PC on local lan, and 3 others connecting remotely.

Before the start of the campaign, I worked in FGU for a few hours on game prep, and had no issues.

Once everyone connected, we had horrible lag issues. This could have possibly been my internet connection, though we've been playing like this for a year using FGU and have never experienced these lag issues for everyone at the same time, including me. I've had players have connection or individual lag issues before, but I've never had it lag my GM side, or anyone on LAN. Because even my wife who was connected on LAN had the same intense lag issue, I was wondering if it was related to the update.

I had ONE extension running, for auto npc turn pass.

I did shut down FGU and restart, and everyone rejoined. Once we restarted it seemed fine for about 30 minutes, until we changed to a new map, and then the lag issue started again.

I also had an issue where I would "pickup" a token and move it, and the token would show up in a ghosted position approx 3 or 4 grid spaces away from where I picked it up and would not accurately move or set until I released it and attempted to move it again to adjust position. All of this was happening only when the lag issues were present.

My PC IS connected using a wifi card, and I will upgrade that to a hard line to our LAN soon to see if that helps. Again, however, weve not had these issues for the past year and they have shown up only after this last update.

correlation is not always causation though.

Thanks!

Trenloe
September 1st, 2021, 15:19
See if any of the info in this FG Wiki article will help: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1638006786/Reducing+GPU+Usage

Option #2 is something to try when you're in game and have issues like you describe.

Moon Wizard
September 1st, 2021, 15:21
I'm not sure what might be causing the issue.

* Was there anything in particular that happened right before the lagging started?

Any other details that you can remember that would help:
* What module/map were you using?
* Were there any actions taken in the game that seemed to precede the issue?
* Was either you as the GM or any of the players using CTRL+Z to undo image actions (token movement, etc.)?

We refactored the Undo behavior completely in images, so I'm going to see if perhaps that might be where the issue is but may need more info to recreate.

Regards,
JPG

ColinBuckler
September 2nd, 2021, 09:26
I had terrible lag - but managed to resolve it. Mine manifested in both myself and my players not being able to drag tokens around on the map.

My campaign has been running weekly for about 18 months - I created a new campaign, exported the characters from the old one into the new one.

I can not guarentee it will work for you - but it may.

The reasoniong is the database was becomming "clogged" with now redundant stuff and the auto backup was triggering timed delays. Having a good clean out seemd to have worked for me.

There does seem to be a number of these lag issues still echo'ing around the forums. If migrating to a new campaign resolves it - I wonder if SW could create a generic export all characters + combat tracker + party sheet + options, and then an import into a new campaign? Or maybe a "cleanup" routine the GM could run to remove unwanted items from the database.

Moon Wizard
September 2nd, 2021, 14:35
As far as I know, the size of the database wouldn’t have an impact on persistent lagging; which is why we always ask for a copy of the campaign.

We assume that it is related to an unexpected loop or high activity condition (relate to image data (FoW, LoS, etc); ruleset database interaction loops; network loops; or something like that). It is not related to saving data unless it also only happens at exactly five minute intervals and no other time.

This is why we ask for a snapshot save and copy of the campaign as close to the time that the issue is happening, as well as any details of what was being done by GM and players.

This does not appear to be a general issue based on reports so far; but related to some specific combination of data/actions.

Thanks,
JPG