PDA

View Full Version : possible issue with sharing map

lousilver
September 1st, 2021, 05:51
Hi,

Today I updated fantasy grounds, had all my players update (so I guess version 4.1.5). I shared a map/image I had briefly shared last week, but they changed plans and went to another map, and then returned to this map today. Last week the map worked fine (LOS, lighting). Today, all the players saw was completely black map. It was only when i disabled LOS & lighting were they able to see anything (unfortunately the whole map at that point). I tried redrawing the map LOS from scratch, but it would only work with LOS disabled. I thought maybe there was an image version conflict (their copy vs mine). But after we were done with that map when moved onto another that they had never seen before, this time 4 of the five players saw it fine, but the fifth player had the same issue (no lighting this time, just LOS and could only see with LOS disabled). As GM I was also unable to drag NPC actions onto PC tokens for attack or damage, but players could drag onto NPCs. After the game session ended, i clicked revert changes on the first offending map (because I was messing with LOS during the game), loaded a second instance of FG as a player. I made a new character, and the map worked perfectly for the new character (albeit on my computer via a second instance). LOS and lighting worked perfectly. I was also able to roll NPC actions on to the new test character. I did not reset/reload the campaign as GM between the game session and the test trial.

Did i do something wrong? Did the patch introduce something wonky (guessing not with all the other sessions I saw active)? but i haven't had this problem before. was it because the players had some old version of the map, but my test character being brand new didn't? if the last, how do i resolve that without asking players to go into folders to delete images and restarting FG.

Moon Wizard
September 1st, 2021, 14:57
It could be a combination of factors. There were quite a few changes in the latest release. We haven't heard of this as a general issue; so an example of the issue would be best.

If this ever happens in the future, can you type /save, and immediately make a copy of the campaign folder? (To get to campaign folder, you can start second copy of FG, click folder button to get to data folder, then exit second copy. It would be under "campaigns".)

If you can provide a copy of campaign now, and as much information as possible to reproduce (which windows open, which player/PC affected, which map exactly).

From your description, I can't think of why the LoS/lighting wouldn't work at all; and why redrawing would still not work for player #5. I'm hoping that something left in the campaign may help let us recreate the issue and give a clue.

Regards,
JPG

lousilver
September 2nd, 2021, 05:24
Thank-you. I've always been so impressed by the frequency of updates and content, and the positivity/support of the community.

I didn't know whether to to use '/save' now, so i simply copied the campaign folder without loading FG, unchanged from yesterday's session. I also included a small adventure module (that i made) that has the actual maps, etc. I use two extensions, one-click-druid, and another that shows whether first/second dice is dropped for (dis)advantage rolls.

August 24:
The players went to Map: Wizard Cave, spent about 1 minute there outside the cave, which appeared to be working fine (they could see it with LOS enabled), and then decided to go to Map: Owlbear Cave instead of exploring the inside of the wizard cave. The owlbear cave map didn't work: background jpg failed to load, red X in middle of image, which I'm fairly certain was for reasons entirely of my own doing and I was able to fix it on the fly. This was late in the game session, so we ended shortly after finishing that brief map.

In between sessions i fixed the owlbear cave in the module campaign, and I may have played with lighting on the wizard cave as I can't remember if I had already adding lighting prior to August 24 or not. I think i may have, but i suspect i tweaked it by adding a lightsource on top of the ambient lighting. I then re-exported the module so it could be used in the player campaign.

August 31:
wizard cave fails miserably. completely black for all players, though they very faintly see the snow effect (but not the terrain/background tiles itself), which i was able to observe through shared screen (video chat). I know that with lighting turned off and LOS turned on, all the players saw was black. I don't remember about the reverse, I vaguely recall something strange (like players could see in exposed ambient light, but just pure black in masked ambient light even with vision), but i became obsessed with fixing the LOS and just left lighting off. During the game session, while the map was unshared, i selected all of the LOS and deleted it. I created a new LOS layer and quickly drew in what i needed. Resharing the map, i stilll have the same problem. completely black unless i turn LOS off. So we play with LOS (and lighting) off. Then we go to the map: avernus portal, and four of the players see it fine (only LOS, no lighting). The fifth player (ilerian, ranger elf) sees only black. Disabling LOS solves that problem. After the players leave, but without closing down the game session and starting up again, i click revert changes on the wizard cave map (to original module settings), open a second instance of FG on the same computer, character wizard a new PC then combat tracker and add to map (wizard cave). It worked perfectly with LOS and lighting enabled, darkvision 60ft working perfectly.

That is the state of the campaign folder as I left it, and included in the attached. Nor have i further modified the module.

lousilver
September 2nd, 2021, 05:30
Hmm. I clicked manage attachment on the previous post and added a compressed file (zip) (campaign+module), but i can't see it in the post. trying again here.