PDA

View Full Version : Old School Essentials Stand Alone ruleset!

bayne7400
August 27th, 2021, 23:15
What is OSE? OSE is a BX clone. it plays just like the 1981 Basic and Expert Rules as the creators intended.

Read more about BX here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Basic_Set

All of the B and X modules I developed for the FG store can open in this ruleset using Universal Module extension( Thank you Damned). I am in the process of retagging them all so the extension is not required. The monsters in those modules were converted to 2e ruleset so they will have to be redone if you use FG store adventures.

JollyGm and I would like to share the latest ruleset we developed under our Rulesets For the People moniker. Old School Essentials. With the blessing from Necrotic Gnome this ruleset is for FREE on the Forge. Together we easily have over 100 hours into this ruleset and we did with no expectation of financial reward. GMJolly has already started our next ruleset which is going to be a generic d6 ( like Star Wars). Together with our patrons we will be selecting which ruleset will follow.

Please see the videos below. After watching the videos and you still don't understand feel free to ask below. Just please start with " I watched your stupid video but.." and we will be happy to provide an answer.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/199/view

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy7kGA4xYlPUy1tG_naUVIbNBm3mPcYpv

Notes

1. Full targeting implemented. Including dragging dice onto token or results from chat.
2. The following effects are implemented: AC: DMG: SAVE: ATK:
3. Before you enter NPCs watch video 4 for the string parser(will save you loads of time)
4. This file is located in DATA, so knock yourself out just don't make fun of my coding :)

AlterZwerg
August 28th, 2021, 00:05
Thank you guys for doing this!

I´ve taken the liberty of starting a conversion of the Old School Essentials SRD (https://oldschoolessentials.necroticgnome.com/srd/index.php/Main_Page)
Classes, Items, Spells, NPCs - everything you need to get going.
It´s free, so check it out if you like

edit:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/200/view

damned
August 28th, 2021, 02:00
Boom! Well done guys.

ChrisRevocateur
August 28th, 2021, 15:42
I think there are two really important features that aren't getting enough attention when it comes to this new ruleset. First is already mentioned in Bayne's original post, but is just mentioned in a note. The other isn't mentioned anywhere here yet.

1. There is a text parser for NPCs! Watch the video!
2. You can load Classic D&D modules in the ruleset and it will get the vast majority of data transferred. AC and attacks don't come across quite right and need to be edited, but base AC and the amount of damage a lot of weapons are different between AD&D and basic so that's to be expected. This means you can play all the Basic modules that have been released in their intended ruleset as well as in AD&D.

bayne7400
August 31st, 2021, 17:57
Update being pushed on the Forge soon.

1. Recoded all rollers for ability scores, skills checks, and percentile ability rolls. There was a bug where tower rolls were not being shown.
2. Increased font size for output messages in chat
3. Fixed issue where weapon selector would reset and it would not remember ammo if you equipped/unequipped weapon.
4. For 6 sided die skill rolls it will now display your "x in 6" chance of success.
5. Players can now edit their bonus XP field.
6. Fixed an error that resulted when a player achieved max level.
7. Current HP total (vice only maxhp) will now update when you level. Any wounds will still remain.

edit: Added a Spell sort function into spell window. Also added support for Dolemwood Spells

vegaserik
September 1st, 2021, 08:43
After running a game of this Sunday evening, I have to say it's a blast. Fast combat, deadly combat, quick character creation ... it is simple to DM. Almost every attack could have meant a pc death, and would have if not for a weird run of 1's on damage rolls! If you're looking for a system that gets out of the way and just lets you play and role play this is it.

hawkwind
September 5th, 2021, 12:43
nice ruleset, i was able to create the NPC's for the module Hole in the Oak relatively easily. The module uses a "x" in the damage string rather than the "×" it was expecting.

What is the purpose of the client button on the combat tracker?

bayne7400
September 5th, 2021, 13:41
It let's the gm see the client side of the CT. Yeah I used the tomes as a guide for the parser. You will always need to double check the attacks. If the monster has wierd special attacks it won't parse it correctly. As it is it is a time saver for sure.

bayne7400
September 9th, 2021, 19:24
New Update on the forge.

1. Cleaned up a ton of code. All of which having to do with race/class and leveling. When I added the advanced options there ended up being duplication so I streamlined into to two scripts.
2. Advanced Class spells slots auto populate as players level.
3. Please note Three Vision types are in this Ruleset. "Darkvision 60" (just like 5e), "Infravision 90" which is a heat vision for Drow et al., and finally normal 10 for humans. This lets humans see other tokens immediately adjacent to them but everything else is otherwise black.

Xorn
September 14th, 2021, 06:00
I'm interested in fleshing out a BECMI extension for this ruleset, but I don't know what I'm doing really. If the framework for the adjustments interested in making were there I could probably flesh out what's missing.

Character Sheet:
- Main: Level Up button needs to work up to 36
- Abilities: Spell Slots/Level need to go up to 9

NPC:
- BECMI monsters have a field for Intelligence (can be put on Notes tab, not critical)

Spells:
- BECMI spells all have an Effect: field before the description, just need a 1 line text field. It's usually describing the area of effect. (not critical, could be start of description)

Skills:
- General Skills (non-Thief abilities) roll 1d20 vs Ability Score (non-critical though, can just convert the d20 target to a % I suppose).

So the priority for me would be Level 36 > Spell Slots to 9th > Spells Effect field > NPC Intelligence field > Skills toggle between % & 1d20 /rollunder

Ruleset is fantastic though, I've already started converting my MoreCore w/ OSE Ext Rules Cyclopedia into a reference module for the Ruleset.

bayne7400
September 14th, 2021, 12:12
For spells I would put it with the range in the string field.
For spells slots you just need to edit char_abilities xml.
For npc intelligence you might need to use notes tab as I'm not sure it's going to add any automation.
For skills a change to the code or an extension will be required. I might change the ruleset code. There are some OSE optional rules that use custom dice rollers.
For levels the code goes to max 14 but you can level manually if needed.

Xorn
September 14th, 2021, 16:47
I'm looking for someone to make this extension, because I can barely tinker with an existing extension, let along make my own.

Spell Effect: Range field is too small to include it in my opinion. Example: https://puu.sh/Ibj00/5a6a1d48fd.png. Is it possible to add the field with an extension? Like I said it can go at the top of the description worst case.
Spell Slots: No idea how to do this, I'm looking for someone that can do this?
NPC Intelligence: No automation, just looking to have the field added. Is it a big deal to do that?
Skills: If this change was made to the ruleset that would be super awesome.
Levels: How do I manually change the 14? It won't let me type. If it's not going to adjust the HP/THACO/Saves (and hide the XP Needed field)... that's a real drawback. Can it be raised with an Extension?

Dang I suck. I tried to make an Extension to just change to spell type cycler to only have Clerical|Druidic|Magical and I can't even figure that out LOL

Xorn
September 15th, 2021, 18:47
Holy ****! I did it! Through sheer brute force, and very little understanding, I tinkered with it till I finally made a working BECMI extension! All it does is make the Level Up button work up to max level for whatever class, expand the spell slots to 9 levels with tooltips, and update the class list and spell tables to Cleric, Fighter, Magic User, Thief, Dwarf, Elf, Halfing, Druid, and Mystic. The Dwarf can go to 22 (12 + Attack Rank), Elf to 20, Halfling to 18, and Mystic to 16. Druid is what Clerics can switch to at 9, and goes up to 36.

The files I modified in the OSE2 ruleset are:
strings_OSE2.xml
campaign\class_detail.xml
campaign\character_sheet_abilities.xml
campaign\spells.xml
campaign\sub_main.xml
campaign\scripts\manager_char.lua

I started off just changing one number in Class Detail and see what it broke, then checked that file to figure out what it was referencing, and just kept doing that till I got it working. Can't believe I managed to stumble through this. Anyway here's the final extension:

EDIT: Continued to tweak. Reduced the spell type cycler to "Clerical|Druidic|Magical" and totally re-did the Item Type/Subtypes to fit the Rules Cyclopedia items better.

49642 Link updated 10/24/2021

bayne7400
September 15th, 2021, 19:11
Good job man.

Xorn
September 15th, 2021, 20:50
Good job man.

Thanks! Now I'm racing through trying to get the Rules Cyclopedia module converted. The story entries transfer right over of course. Copy-pasta'd the spell text over wasn't too bad, same with the skills. Items & NPCs will take a little longer but some of it is retained. Then it's just updating links.

bayne7400
September 17th, 2021, 13:00
Small update pushed. Cleaned up more code around inventory management this time. Please let me know if anyone is seeing any errors. I test new builds but you never know!

Xorn
September 17th, 2021, 15:44
Do you keep a changelog of what files changed? I should see if those are in my extension I assume.

bayne7400
September 17th, 2021, 16:30
I actually thought about you when I pushed this. You should be good to go. As people are building stuff I'm trying to be very careful with what I change.

Xorn
September 17th, 2021, 18:51
I actually thought about you when I pushed this. You should be good to go. As people are building stuff I'm trying to be very careful with what I change.

Cool. I'm curious is it hard to change the tab-order of a sheet? I'd like to adjust the NPC window so it tabs through the fields better.

bayne7400
September 17th, 2021, 21:31
Does the NPC parser not work on your monsters?

bayne7400
September 17th, 2021, 23:43
Cool. I'm curious is it hard to change the tab-order of a sheet? I'd like to adjust the NPC window so it tabs through the fields better.

Send me the tab order you want. I'll set it for you. I have an update coming next week. This allows dragging dice from chat onto the CT. Damage is done, I just need to reconfigure attack.

Xorn
September 18th, 2021, 04:51
1. Non-ID Name
2. Armour Class
3. Hit Dice
4. Hit Points
5. THACO
6. Movement
7. Size
10. Attacks Window (Weapon, ATK, DMG, Type)
11. Spells
12. Saves (D, W, P, B, S)
13. Morale
14. XP
15. Alignment
16. Number Appearing
17. Treasure Type

Currently the tab order is wacky and jumps all over. Even adding attacks it goes Weapon, ATK, Type, DMG.

As far as the parser, this is what I'm working with for cut-n-paste: https://puu.sh/Ic95O/cc6d0711f3.png

bayne7400
September 18th, 2021, 12:26
Copy that stat block into your computer clipboard paste it in notepad and send it to me on discord please. Most of that should parse out.

Xorn
September 18th, 2021, 18:29
I figured out how to fix the tab order, if you don't want to worry about it.

Carrion Crawler
Armor Class:
Hit Dice:
Move:
Attacks:
Damage:
No. Appearing:
Save As:
Morale:
Treasure Type:
Intelligence:
Alignment:
XP Value:
3 + l*(L)
120' (40')
8 tentacles or 1 bite
Paralysis or 1 point
Id4 (0)
F2
B0
Neutral
Monster Type: Lowlife (Common).
This scavenger is a 9'-long, 3'-high manylegged
worm. It can move equally well on a
floor, wall, or ceiling. Its small mouth is surrounded
by eight tentacles, each 2' long, which
can paralyze on a successful hit unless a saving
throw vs. paralysis is made. A tentacle hit does
no actual damage.
Carrion crawlers are known as scavengers, eating
the remains of slain animals. But they are also
willing to go after fresh meat. They will attack
small parties of travelers, paralyzing their prey,
and will eat paralyzed victims in three turns unless
except when the carrion crawlers are being
attacked. Unless magically cured, the paralysis
will wear off in 2d4 turns.
Terrain: Cavern, Ruins.

That's how it's going to paste in so it does terrible. It's not a big deal, I don't mind just rebuilding their combat stats anyway. The only thing that would matter is if it auto-populated THACO based on the HD, or if it had a Save As field that would populate the 5 saving throw fields. (The OSE Essential extension did, but it's not critical.)

The tab order has been the only soul-draining issue for me, because I have to mouse click on every field while updating the NPCs.

Here's an example of me updating the module. I've got two FGUs open, the left is the OSE ruleset, the right is the old MoreCore. I can fill in the stuff on the left quickly just looking on the right, but without the tab order working it's a ton of clicking. Now I can just rip through it, then add the attacks and on to the next one. https://puu.sh/Ichrz/6a15c04051.png

bayne7400
September 18th, 2021, 21:11
OK new build on Forge:

1. You can now DRAG from CHAT window onto Tokens! This works for attacks, damage, and heals. Thank you Moon Wizard and Super Teddy.
2. Fixed attack roll so a natural 20 is always a hit.
3. Adjusted tab target on NPC sheet.
4. Building in shields was causing some confusion. The Modifier box will now be hidden unless subtype selected is "Magic". Shields are already hard coded as a 1 reduction to AC.

I also organized a lot of code and tried to eliminate duplicate code where I can. I may add additional effects in the future. As of right now AC ATK DMG and SAVE are the only effects working. Please let me know if you encounter any bugs. Here or on Discord.

Talen
September 20th, 2021, 14:10
A couple questions from one who's interest has been piqued. Can you use the OSE ruleset to play basic modules (specifically keep on the borderlands in this case) roughly as originally written? Will OSE open KOTB or will u need a universal extension?

bayne7400
September 20th, 2021, 14:20
Hey so I developed several B modules X1 and X2 for the store and I can tell yes it absolutely works. Few caveats. Npcs and encounter have to be remade. Weapons and armor will need to be edited. Also weights since 2e doesn't use coin weights. I have run B11 and U1 in this ruleset. You can use the universal module extension to open the adventures in the OSE ruleset.

Those B modules are BX so the ones in the store had their monster stats /items converted to 2e. OSE is a bx clone so change those back and your running it the author intended.

Talen
September 20th, 2021, 14:29
Thanks for the quick response! Are there any modules in the store programmed for BECMI or have they all been covered to 2e as that has the official support?

bayne7400
September 20th, 2021, 14:35
Pretty much everything has been converted to be compatible with 2e. Although when I did X1 I did not use 2e stat blocks for some of the monsters. If I did it would result in a TPK.
You have several options. For 2e there is a 1e extension and EOTB has done a lot of OSRIC work. Also Xorn wrote an extension with OSE to work with BECMI. The 2e Ruleset does so much you end up not using a lot of it to play just a BX game. Also my computer sucks(im upgrading it now) and load times are a lot longer for me in 2e versus this ruleset. When I load OSRIC it is really bad. That is not their issue its an issue with my machine.

bayne7400
September 22nd, 2021, 22:58
Small update:
1. Fixed a bug where NPCs were rolling on PC attack matrix.
2. NPC record: Fixed movement field. It is now a string field. Also updated parser so it will copy all forms of movement into block. I did this in such a way you will not get an error but will need to update the movement field.
3. Made some cosmetic tweeks to number of records.
4. Cleaned up more code, combined many more functions.

Talen
September 25th, 2021, 21:49
Thank you for this ruleset! Your work also convinced me to buy the OSE rulebook - looking forward to running keep on the borderlands with my son to show him what got me hooked back in the day!

bayne7400
September 25th, 2021, 21:52
Great. I'm converting the content to FG now. I need people to ping NG on discord so they can sell their content on FG. So if you think you might like to buy their content please message them.

dpezet
September 28th, 2021, 03:53
I would absolutely buy all of the OSE modules Gavin has put out. What should I ask him? Have you been in contact with him and offered to convert his content ("Please let Bayne convert your content"), or is this more of a cold request ("Please make your content available on Fantasy Grounds")?

bayne7400
September 28th, 2021, 13:02
So it looks like he wants to move forward on this. We have been talking off and on the last few months. He told me he emailed Doug so we shall see what happens. I'd like him to open a forge account and sell his content on there. I know FG will support this as I have already spoken to DD about this. He doesn't want wormzines converted but everything else is on the table.

bayne7400
October 6th, 2021, 22:59
OK new .pak file on the forge. There was an error in the roller that occurred with some spells. I fixed the roller and added code to prevent errors if the spell is not properly built in. I also changed the die field to a string field. So instead of dropping die you will type "1d6" etc. Damage and heal spells will need to be updated. I forwarded the changes to AlterZwerg who created the SRD.

Second. You may notice a new button for NPC effects on the NPC record. The following damage types are in the game. Acid, cold, fire, electrical, poison, chlorine, psychic, radiant, mundane, magic and silver. The following effect types are in game: IMMUNE RESIST, VULN, ATK, DMG, AC, SAVE.

An example would be IMMUNE: poison or AC:1. This is a work in progress. When you input the text into the NPC it automatically populates the Combat Tracker. For now only ATK DMG , AC and SAVE are coded to automate. The rest are coming in updates as I add fields to both spells and weapons and code the scripts.

To code this on an NPC just type the damage type in the appropriate box. If the monster has mundane damage immunity use: "can only be harmed by silvered or magical weapons" or "from nonmagical attacks". For the one monster that has damage reduction by half you can use : "All damage reduced by half". Use commas to separate any damage types.

For example: "poison, fire, and can only be harmed by silvered or magical weapons"

Should yield : IMMUNE: poison,fire,mundane, !silver,!magic.

gaijin1885
October 8th, 2021, 18:29
Am I mistaken or are there no cones and no spell areas?

bayne7400
October 8th, 2021, 20:06
I don't understand your question please be more specific.

gaijin1885
October 8th, 2021, 20:10
I mean the figures for measuring the area that hits fireball-type spells

bayne7400
October 8th, 2021, 21:23
Oh I see right click on the map and draw the cone shape. It will give you distance as long as your grid is setup. Are you new to FG?

gaijin1885
October 8th, 2021, 22:03
Unfortunately I've already tried this but I don't know why the cone is not among the options, in fg classic I didn't have the problem but with unity I do.

damned
October 8th, 2021, 22:10
Hos many AoE do you have already? have you just run out of slots on the radial menu?

bayne7400
October 8th, 2021, 22:33
Unfortunately I've already tried this but I don't know why the cone is not among the options, in fg classic I didn't have the problem but with unity I do.

On the image right click---> select the arrow----> select the cone. Its says "Draw Cone" When you hover over it. I just made a new campaign and I verified it is there.49409

gaijin1885
October 8th, 2021, 23:41
My fault for sure, I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you for now. Is there any news on any agreements to make the ruleset official?

bayne7400
October 8th, 2021, 23:53
There is lots going on regard that. This ruleset has the blessing of NG and hopefully we can announce some products for the forge very soon. The reference tomes are ready to go and lots of people are asking to develop adventures. If you want a better answer ping Gavin over at Necrotic Gnome discord.

Talen
October 9th, 2021, 12:05
In coding a new Thief 3 NPC with a +6 to attack and +2 damage, I am adding a "6" in the ATK box and "2d6+2" in the damage string box - but it appears the damage roll is adding both the ATK and DMG bonuses. Am I doing it wrong or is there glitch perhaps?

bayne7400
October 9th, 2021, 13:45
So the attack box is for weapon mod . So if the weapon is plus one it goes in that box otherwise that box is always zero. The attack bonus automatically takes into account strength or dex bonuses. If the thier has some other bonus to attack give him the effect ATK:6 on the combat tracker.

How are you getting the plus six to attack? By the way damage also takes into account str modifiers to damage. You only need to put weapon base damage into that block.

Edit: I am on my phone and just saw this is an npc. Post the npcs stat block here so I can look at it. All of what's above applies to PCs. Thanks

Talen
October 9th, 2021, 14:38
Edit: I am on my phone and just saw this is an npc. Post the npcs stat block here so I can look at it. All of what's above applies to PCs. Thanks

What I entered is in the image above - the stat block is:

3rd level thief, AC 4 due to leather armor, ring of protection +1 and Dexterity 17, hp 15, AT 1 at +2, D 3-8, ML 10). The hermit has a 30% chance to move silently and a 20% chance to hide in shadows. His madness gives him a +2 bonus to hit and a +2 bonus on damage (thus the bonus for striking from behind is +6 to hit, and double normal damage +2 points.)

bayne7400
October 9th, 2021, 14:50
Ok thanks. I've put in over 200 monsters but let me rethink the npc weapons block. This needs to work with all OSE and BX monsters. I'll work on it tonight. It won't break anything but I think I'll change how that atk blocks works for npcs in the roller. Thank you for the feedback

Normally I would say you use the mod box for the attack behind and ATK:2 for the permanent madness ability. So you could code it with a 2 in the box ATK:2 and use modifier for attack behind

bayne7400
October 9th, 2021, 20:15
What I entered is in the image above - the stat block is:

3rd level thief, AC 4 due to leather armor, ring of protection +1 and Dexterity 17, hp 15, AT 1 at +2, D 3-8, ML 10). The hermit has a 30% chance to move silently and a 20% chance to hide in shadows. His madness gives him a +2 bonus to hit and a +2 bonus on damage (thus the bonus for striking from behind is +6 to hit, and double normal damage +2 points.)

So reading that stat block his attack is +2 and his damage is 1d6 +2 (3-8). Both plus 2(s) are from madness. The other plus two is when he attacks from behind. For that you would use the modifier box in the bottom right.

I forgot I disabled the ability to drop weapons onto the NPC record. So doing it your way is more intuitive.[/B]

Edit: I updated the pak file, you can try it now. This only effects NPCs. PCs and all weapons did not change how they function. Good feedback thanks

Talen
October 9th, 2021, 22:48
Thank you for the response and explanation! I can work with this.

bayne7400
October 16th, 2021, 23:43
Small update today.

Some players try to add a second race or class. They are now in for quite a shock!
Updated fonts to ref-b for saves
Fix an error on spell rollers for spells that were 1d6 x level.

Please if you see a bug, no matter how minor let me know on this thread.

bayne7400
October 18th, 2021, 13:29
This mornings update.

1.) Added the option for d6 thief skills to the character sheet!
2.) Add Mental Powers to type cycler for spell.

This is all to support publishing of the carcass crawler on the forge!

Talen
October 18th, 2021, 13:58
Great to hear. Looking forward to it.

gaijin1885
October 18th, 2021, 15:07
Is it possible to choose to allocate only 50% of exp and gold to pc retainers?

bayne7400
October 18th, 2021, 23:22
Hmm can you do that on other rulesets? I'll have to think about how to do this. Good feedback thanks!

bayne7400
October 19th, 2021, 13:45
-Fixed issue where Controls were not stacking on CT. This manifested itself as a huge gap between weapon attacks and spells.
-Tweaked the code on spell heals to allow coding a regen heal. It was not working as intended. To code a fix heal you leave the die field blank and adjust the modifier control in the spell window.

gaijin1885
October 19th, 2021, 15:22
Also I was thinking if there is a way to categorize spells by level

bayne7400
October 19th, 2021, 17:23

I will add it to the list. Thanks for the feedback.

gaijin1885
October 19th, 2021, 17:58
There seems to be an error with the exp in the tabs. For example, if I click on the button to add the exp to a PG, the total is replaced with the exp that is given at that moment.

bayne7400
October 19th, 2021, 18:15
Ok took me a second. Yeah its displaying the total earned THAT HAS NOT been applied (only granted). So what it is supposed to show is session xp. After each session you assign it on the character sheet and it zeros out.

It is not supposed to show you total character xp.

bayne7400
October 20th, 2021, 20:45

So I went to look at this and I had already done this. On the spells menu you can sort by level. Is this what you were referring to? on the charactersheet they auto sort.

gaijin1885
October 20th, 2021, 20:48
Yes it was my mistake, sorry

bayne7400
October 20th, 2021, 20:48
I had forgotten i did it myself lol.

damned
October 20th, 2021, 21:06
Bayne and Shotgun well done this is a great ruleset!

bayne7400
October 20th, 2021, 21:52
Yeah Necrotic Gnome is posting Official Content for this ruleset on the Forge. He is just waiting on FG to approve his post, so its about to get even better. I am still working on this thing as well . I'm going to improve effects a bit, add the effects to spells and revamp the spell window on the character sheet. The problem is time!

gaijin1885
October 20th, 2021, 21:53
Yeah Necrotic Gnome is posting Official Content for this ruleset on the Forge. He is just waiting on FG to approve his post, so its about to get even better. I am still working on this thing as well . I'm going to improve effects a bit, add the effects to spells and revamp the spell window on the character sheet. The problem is time!

Good news

bayne7400
October 22nd, 2021, 13:58
Small update today.

1. Added stealth as a skill to front of character sheet (ranger). I also set up stacking so the controls once selected will fill in the gaps.

2, The Spell window now has a string field for effects. This currently does not do anything but in the future it will integrate with your spells on character sheet and perform like other commercial rulesets.

3. Updated the NPC Parser (Thanks Oso Buho) . It should now do marginally better at capturing weapons. It is still not perfect.

4. Update frame offsets so the ruleset is compatible with the awesome Winter Theme you can buy on FG store. It looks really good. I am going to update the decal so you can use the OSE decal in that theme. (Thanks Oso Buho for the pro tip on this theme)

5. The cartoon DM icon has been replaced by some sort of Scary Gnome for Gm rolls. Its quite disturbing!

bayne7400
October 22nd, 2021, 17:22
The two Tomes are up.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/312/view

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/308/view

dpezet
October 22nd, 2021, 20:04
Woohoo! Insta-buy.

Guillermo
October 23rd, 2021, 17:13
Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks for the amazing ruleset. I was playing around creating some characthers and i think i may have found a bug. Not sure if it is related to this extension or the Old School Essentials Classic Fantasy SRD by AlterZwerg.

It looks like when you add a shield to a PC, it is lowering the AC by 2 and not 1.

Here is my AC using a Chainmail. As soon as I equip the shield the following thing happens:

I think the new AC should be 4 instead of 3, as my AC should be going one step lower.

bayne7400
October 23rd, 2021, 17:37
Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks for the amazing ruleset. I was playing around creating some characthers and i think i may have found a bug. Not sure if it is related to this extension or the Old School Essentials Classic Fantasy SRD by AlterZwerg.

It looks like when you add a shield to a PC, it is lowering the AC by 2 and not 1.

Here is my AC using a Chainmail. As soon as I equip the shield the following thing happens:

I think the new AC should be 4 instead of 3, as my AC should be going one step lower.

If you are using the SRD shields are coded wrong. For non magic shields the modifier box should be 0. If you can not see the modifier box then take subtype to magic and reset it!.

Guillermo
October 23rd, 2021, 17:41
Awesome. I actually noticed that if I created a custom shield it would work properly. I could not find a forum for the SRD but looks like you are already aware of the issue.

I will test your suggestion shortly.

Regards

AlterZwerg
October 23rd, 2021, 17:49
There was an issue with shields some time ago, but I thought I fixed that in the SRD.
The AC Bonus of 1 for shields is coded into the Ruleset so the shield should provide AC +1
If there is still a mod of 1 on the shield item that should only be there if the shield is magical.
Normally that should be 0. I’ll check that later…
bayne has been pushing so many updates recently, I haven‘t been able to keep up with that ;)

bayne7400
October 23rd, 2021, 17:54
How it was set up originally was not intuitive. I made the box disappear unless "magic" was selected to subtype. Thanks for letting us know.

Guillermo
October 23rd, 2021, 18:45
If you are using the SRD shields are coded wrong. For non magic shields the modifier box should be 0. If you can not see the modifier box then take subtype to magic and reset it!.

That did the trick.

AlterZwerg
October 23rd, 2021, 19:24
I just pushed a fix. Seems like something was still stuck somewhere in the DB.
Deleting the shield completely and creating it anew did the trick. So if there are issues with existing characters, delete the shield and drag a new one over from "Items".
Also one of the recent updates broke the "Movement" field on existing NPCs. I´ve fixed them up to "K", but it may take me a while to get to all of them. (SRD!)

bayne7400
October 23rd, 2021, 23:18
hotfix today.

Strength modifier was being applied to non targeting damage rolls for ranged weapons

Xorn
October 25th, 2021, 00:19
Woof. Looks like pretty much every file the BECMI extension touches was changed. I've got to start over to get all my changed in. Will edit this message when I've done it.

EDIT: Thanks mostly to the wonderful Compare plugin for N++, I've updated the BECMI_OSE2 extension for the latest version of the ruleset.

49642 updated 10/24/2021

As a side note, the fields don't line up horizontally on the NPC main tab at the top. Feels like Armour Class & THAC0 should be on the same vertical pixel, same for Hit Dice / Movement. (Hit Points & Size are lined up.) The movement string field is too high as well. I was going to fix it in the extension, but since that's literally the only thing I'd be changing in the file, probably better to just ask if you want to fix them before I mess with it. Especially as npc_main.xml seems like a prime candidate for more tweaks in the future.

https://puu.sh/IkAwq/d4f2605ecc.png

Xorn
October 25th, 2021, 18:43
OK new .pak file on the forge. There was an error in the roller that occurred with some spells. I fixed the roller and added code to prevent errors if the spell is not properly built in. I also changed the die field to a string field. So instead of dropping die you will type "1d6" etc. Damage and heal spells will need to be updated. I forwarded the changes to AlterZwerg who created the SRD.

Second. You may notice a new button for NPC effects on the NPC record. The following damage types are in the game. Acid, cold, fire, electrical, poison, chlorine, psychic, radiant, mundane, magic and silver. The following effect types are in game: IMMUNE RESIST, VULN, ATK, DMG, AC, SAVE.

An example would be IMMUNE: poison or AC:1. This is a work in progress. When you input the text into the NPC it automatically populates the Combat Tracker. For now only ATK DMG , AC and SAVE are coded to automate. The rest are coming in updates as I add fields to both spells and weapons and code the scripts.

To code this on an NPC just type the damage type in the appropriate box. If the monster has mundane damage immunity use: "can only be harmed by silvered or magical weapons" or "from nonmagical attacks". For the one monster that has damage reduction by half you can use : "All damage reduced by half". Use commas to separate any damage types.

For example: "poison, fire, and can only be harmed by silvered or magical weapons"

Should yield : IMMUNE: poison,fire,mundane, !silver,!magic.

Can we just put in "IMMUNE: poison, fire, mundane, !silver, !magic" instead of the full text? Actually looks like you can just put "poison, fire, mundane, except silver or magic"

bayne7400
October 25th, 2021, 18:54
I did it that way so you can literally copy an paste from the OSE pdf.

You can just type this.

poison, fire, cold

We are going to close this thread and start a new one on the OSE forum.