PDA

View Full Version : More Resource Allocation?

Sage of Souls
August 21st, 2021, 14:14
Is it possible for me to allocate more resources from my computer to FGU? I'm finding that when making large maps with lots of things on them (such as large cities), the game starts to become less and less responsive and slows down drastically.

LordEntrails
August 21st, 2021, 20:51
Generally no. You operating system will allocate resources to all the programs you have running. The best way to allow FG to use more resources it to not run other programs.

Depending upon your operating system, you can assign various threads higher priority, but unless you have other intensive programs running at the same time, your O/S will already prioritize things pretty well and will give FG the maximum amount of resources your computer has. You can check your resource monitor to see if FG is using more RAM that what you have installed, and then upgrade your RAM, but that is obviously an expense and a hardware change.

What you want to do is to manage your performance with the application itself by managing how large of maps you use, how many LOS occluders you are defining, how many modules you have loaded, and how many assets you allow FG to have access to.

Sage of Souls
August 22nd, 2021, 21:12
I can assure you that my rig isn't the problem.

Are you telling me that I should be using less of your program in order to get better performance? All I have up is literally one map and the assets folder. I made a map with a square wall and a N,S,E,W crossroad at the center. The very first building I started putting down was lagging like mad. I don't run anything other than Discord and Fantasy Grounds and my rig is plenty strong to be able to handle what I'm doing. Why should I not be using what all FGU has to offer?

Weissrolf
August 22nd, 2021, 22:11
Forget about this. The bottleneck is FGU's Lua engine only running on a single CPU and often getting overloaded with seemingly inefficiently coded stuff. The only benefit of running less applications would be that this may keep your CPU from downclocking due to more cores being used concurrently. But in the end even a few hundred MHz will not make so much a difference when FGU slows to a crawl.

Sage of Souls
August 22nd, 2021, 22:45
That's really concerning...

Weissrolf
August 22nd, 2021, 22:54
Just moving the PF2 "Feats by Trait" window drops my GPU output from 2600 fps to 16 fps, completely being bottlenecked by the Lua CPU thread and whatever strange way this window (output) is coded.

Moon Wizard
August 22nd, 2021, 23:09
@Weissrolf,
Please stop spreading misinformation, the program requires single threading for the majority of the operations in order to ensure data consistency across the application for all the object and database interactions, as well as limitations within the Unity engine itself on the GUI objects available. It has very little to do with Lua, and I appreciate if you would stop spreading that misinformation. You do not have any insight into the engine, and I am telling you as one of the main developers that your assumption is incorrect. This can even be seen by the fact that the LuaJIT engine you proposed, and I tried, does not increase the speed at all.

@Sage of Souls,
If you are having an issue with a specific scenario, we ask that you please provide an example campaign showing the issue along with steps to see it.
Please take any ancillary feedback from non-moderator users as community commentary only.

Regards,
JPG

Weissrolf
August 22nd, 2021, 23:34
Frankly, I don't trust your responses very much after various replies, including the latest where you claimed that select token images are "not assets" even though they reside in a file that is literally named "resource.assets".

And since LuaJIT did not work for you out of the box I assume that you never tried using its JustInTime part of compiling the code (just in time) instead of running everything on an interpreter? I am sorry that LuaJIT did not work that way, though, and understand that after testing its compatibility you did not choose to invest further into it. It would have been nice for SW and its users if it was fully Lua 5.1 compatible, a performance increase and easy replacement. Now we seem to be stuck in the past of Lua 5.1 forever where it comes to FGU.

Concerning me spreading misinformation: My information was that the bottleneck is with the Lua engine and/or code. The correct information about that being single-threaded was an addition to clarify that all the CPU cores in the world will not speed up any of this.

And do you mean to say that non Lua parts of the Unity engine is bottlenecking FGU's performance when certain text lists views are used like the "Feats by Trait" list in my example? Something that cannot be fixed by SW then, but has to be fixed by Unity?

Moon Wizard
August 23rd, 2021, 00:13
I refuse to respond to you further when you throw veiled personal attacks at myself and others about their abilities compared to yours, based on your assumptions of how things work. Please do not hijack threads of other users with your posts about your "positions" on various topics; or I will need to take further actions to remove those posts. I suggest you consider how you come across to others before you make your posts.

Closing this thread for now.

For the original poster, my apologies for the hijacking and debate. If you continue to see this issue, please Contact Support via the menu at the top of the site, with an example campaign folder zipped up as well as the steps to see the issue.

Regards,
JPG