PDA

View Full Version : player can see every token on map

sfcspencer
August 18th, 2021, 18:59
what am I doing wrong here. I did LOS and that worked but the players could still see enemy tokens that were outside the building, on the other side of the wall. There light or vision was blocked but they could still see the token on the other side.

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2021, 19:30
We'll need more information and possibly some screenshots. Obvious things to check are did you switch on LoS and Lighting on the map? Were the tokens correctly placed on the map via the CT?

sfcspencer
August 18th, 2021, 20:07
I did LOS and that worked but the players could still see enemy tokens that were outside the building, on the other side of the wall. There light or vision was blocked but they could still see the token on the other side.

Token settings: Player vision and movement set to "off"

Tokens from encounter to CT, from CT to Map. Add players to map. Open map, players see what they are supposed to see LOD working perfectly. Half of players enter room that has creatures, make creature token visible on map and CT. Now here is where the problem occurs. Players in the room see the creature token while players outside the room can also see the creature token, with no party vision, thru the walls.

Hope that helps

LordEntrails
August 18th, 2021, 21:45
Are you using "darkness" lights? Those are experimental and known to have problems in this build. Hopefully fixed in the next build, but not something you want to use (probably) right now.

Extensions? Please see if you can replicate with no extensions enabled. Ruleset? Screenshots including the image data control panel displayed.

Lo Zeno
August 19th, 2021, 10:00
Half of players enter room that has creatures, make creature token visible on map and CT. Now here is where the problem occurs. Players in the room see the creature token while players outside the room can also see the creature token, with no party vision, thru the walls.

How did you make the enemy token visible? Did you right-click on the enemy tokens and select "Mask Sensitive Visibility", or did you choose "Set Always Visible"?
If you chose the second option, they will always be visible even when they are in areas "hidden" by walls or outside of the sight of the characters.

sfcspencer
August 19th, 2021, 16:01
thank you Lo Zeno finally an answer that i can use. You are correct is was using Set Always visible, next week i will use Mask Sensitive. I will post again

Lo Zeno
August 19th, 2021, 16:14
I made that mistake once in the past, not realising that "Mask Sensitive Visibility" should actually be "Mask And Line-Of-Sight Sensitive Visibility". The name of that option predates the LOS and Lighting features, as far as I can tell.

It would probably be a good idea to suggest the devs to change the name so that it's more obvious that THAT is the visibility option to use with Line Of Sight.

sfcspencer
August 19th, 2021, 16:33
Why is that not the default setting for token visibility? That's a no brainer when LOS was introduced.

Moon Wizard
August 19th, 2021, 16:42
The defaults are controlled by the combat tracker (assuming you added the tokens from the combat tracker to the map). Friendly units are set to either always visible (owned) or mask-sensitive (unowned); and non-friendly units are set to either mask-sensitive (visible flag on in CT) or invisible (visible flag off in CT).

Regards,
JPG

Lo Zeno
August 19th, 2021, 16:45
Probably because when you (as the DM) drop an enemy token in the map you might want to:
- keep it hidden because it's actually hidden behind a crate or something
- keep it invisible because you will use it only if the enemies are dying too quickly when they fight the PCs
- keep it invisible until you'll decide it's actual position on the map, if said position is dependent on some other condition or actions taken by the PCs
- etc

Also, when you drop all the enemies from the CT to the map using the red helmet symbol, they are placed in a diagonal line automatically, so they definitely are not in the position you want them to be - if they were automatically mask-sensitive visible they'd be seen by the characters (if they are already on the map) before you place them in the right place.

It's particularly useful to have them invisible by default if you're adding enemies in the middle of the fight: reinforcements, magically summoned monsters, and the like.

At least, from my perspective - I'm not one of the devs.

sfcspencer
August 19th, 2021, 18:51
I understand what you guys are saying. This is the process i use now.
Build Encounter.
Open Map.
Select down arrow on encounter to place creatures in CT.
Drag from CT to map and preplace.
Clear CT.

So what i understand is that there is a way to set non-friendly units to mask-sensitive before they are added to CT, or after they are on the map?

And i would like to thank you guys for all the great help!

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2021, 18:55
When you are building the encounter, drag the token instance (below the NPC line, shows multiple if you have multiple NPCs) to the desired map before play. Then when you use the down arrow to place on the CT, it will also place the tokens in the locations you previously specified.

Note that if you do this pre-placement while players are connected and the map is shared with them, they will see you pre-place the tokens before you add them to the CT (bad habit of mine!)

They will then be marked invisible, both on the CT and map. Then on the CT (not the map) use the eyeball icon to mark them (mask sensitive) Visible. They will then show on the CT, and then on the map if within LOS and mask.

For reference, I NEVER use the set visibility on the token itself, I always do it from the CT. Though their are use cases for using it, I just have never had the need.

sfcspencer
August 19th, 2021, 19:07
the eyeball makes visible, is that (mask sensitive) Visible or always visible?, or is there another setting to tell the eyeball what visibility to use?

sfcspencer
August 19th, 2021, 19:21
I think I got it now, I would like to thank all you guys for the quick response and the GREAT assistance! Well done the thanks again

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2021, 19:29
the eyeball makes visible, is that (mask sensitive) Visible or always visible?, or is there another setting to tell the eyeball what visibility to use?
Mask, see post #9 for details; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70127-player-can-see-every-token-on-map&p=616196&viewfull=1#post616196