PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 1 or 2 (in Terms of FGU)

Xeonen
August 18th, 2021, 10:02
Hello,

I've been GMing in Savage Worlds. Recently, Pathfinder caught my interest due to the Savage Pathfinder implementation. I want to start GMing Pathfinder and incorporate it in our group as a drop-in drop-out game where our bigger group can join and leave between the adventures. I will be GMing mostly pre-made adventures.

Since our group (15~ people) live in different parts of the country, we will be using Fantasy Grounds all the way so picking up the ruleset means picking up the modules off the Smiteworks.

Right now, I'm undecided if I should start with PF 1 or PF 2. In one hand PF 1 has a lot of modules and on the other hand PF 2 will become the new norm. I have no clue which one to pick and start.

I hope this is the right place to ask such as question.

Kind regards

Trenloe
August 18th, 2021, 10:09
Like you say - there is a lot of material available for PF1 - with its nearly 15 years of publication. PF2 is the relatively new version - but already with over 50 official Paizo products converted to Fantasy Grounds and 4+ active community developers producing those products; along with new ruleset functionality being constantly developed. Whereas the 3.5E ruleset, which PF1 is based on, doesn't get much new functionality.

Beyond that, I don't know how to answer your question really. PF1 is essentially D&D 3.75. If you and your players are familiar with that and like it, that might be the way to go.

Ultimately, as the GM you need to want to play. So maybe look at some of the adventures and run the ones that you want to play. There are some standalone adventures for PF2 - probably take around 10 sessions, depending on your gaming style. And there are now three complete 6 part adventure paths, and one three part adventure path. If you and your group like dungeon crawls, look at PF2 Abomination Vaults, for example.

Weissrolf
August 18th, 2021, 11:53
Pathfinder 2 is easier to get into for your players and has more modern rules. And Trenloe does a great job at making the PF2 ruleset more and more comfortable to work with in terms of VTT specific features like automations.

Xeonen
August 18th, 2021, 11:55
Like you say - there is a lot of material available for PF1 - with its nearly 15 years of publication. PF2 is the relatively new version - but already with over 50 official Paizo products converted to Fantasy Grounds and 4+ active community developers producing those products; along with new ruleset functionality being constantly developed. Whereas the 3.5E ruleset, which PF1 is based on, doesn't get much new functionality.

Beyond that, I don't know how to answer your question really. PF1 is essentially D&D 3.75. If you and your players are familiar with that and like it, that might be the way to go.

Ultimately, as the GM you need to want to play. So maybe look at some of the adventures and run the ones that you want to play. There are some standalone adventures for PF2 - probably take around 10 sessions, depending on your gaming style. And there are now three complete 6 part adventure paths, and one three part adventure path. If you and your group like dungeon crawls, look at PF2 Abomination Vaults, for example.

Thank you for the direction. I got the core rules and bestiary 1 for the Pathfinder 2. I can't wait to go over the rules and have the session 1!

myyra
August 19th, 2021, 15:24
Thank you for the direction. I got the core rules and bestiary 1 for the Pathfinder 2. I can't wait to go over the rules and have the session 1!

I don't know if this is completely obvious, but all pathfinder 1 and 2 rules (including expansions and monster manuals) are freely available online at Archives of Nethys https://2e.aonprd.com/Default.aspx
It's also arguably easier to read than the actual rule book.

sciencephile
August 19th, 2021, 17:35
I don't know if this is completely obvious, but all pathfinder 1 and 2 rules (including expansions and monster manuals) are freely available online at Archives of Nethys https://2e.aonprd.com/Default.aspx

I agree - when not running a session, that is. When I run a session, I personally like to stick within Fantasy Grounds without jumping to different windows. Just easier for me to stay self-contained.

Just a bit of advice as a fellow GM to Xeonen (or whoever wants it) ...

Pathfinder has a lot of rules. If there are rules that I need to bring up for reference in the game, I often put the link to the most common ones I need on a hot key for easy retrieval. I have been known to create a GM Cheat Sheet story node (with rules I frequently look up linked on that page) that I can bring up, as well. It is an electronic way of having an old school GM screen with all the important stuff at my fingertips. It's a lot easier than searching for a specific rule while trying to run a session.

Farnaby
August 21st, 2021, 08:27
Also, if I may suggest as a fellow DM, I have run the Plaguestone module 3 times for players new to PF 2 and it is brilliant for introducing the new rules, especially the differences to other systems.
All 3 groups were very pleased with the adventure.

Xeonen
August 21st, 2021, 16:33
Also, if I may suggest as a fellow DM, I have run the Plaguestone module 3 times for players new to PF 2 and it is brilliant for introducing the new rules, especially the differences to other systems.
All 3 groups were very pleased with the adventure.

I got the module, I guess it will be my starter module both for players and me.

This looks like a handy tool! If not for me, then for my players. A reference site is always welcome.

I agree - when not running a session, that is. When I run a session, I personally like to stick within Fantasy Grounds without jumping to different windows. Just easier for me to stay self-contained.

Just a bit of advice as a fellow GM to Xeonen (or whoever wants it) ...

Pathfinder has a lot of rules. If there are rules that I need to bring up for reference in the game, I often put the link to the most common ones I need on a hot key for easy retrieval. I have been known to create a GM Cheat Sheet story node (with rules I frequently look up linked on that page) that I can bring up, as well. It is an electronic way of having an old school GM screen with all the important stuff at my fingertips. It's a lot easier than searching for a specific rule while trying to run a session.

I'll keep this in mind! I used to do it for SWADE as well but it is a rules light system so I didn't need to use it a lot. It looks like I will need to devote a healthy amount of space for it.

ShadeRaven
August 23rd, 2021, 12:37
A few other things I want to point out.

1st) Trenloe has done an amazing job of adding additional "look-up" features to the game. So when someone has Sickness: 1 on the CT or Enfeebled: 1, you can now double-click those highlighted entries to pull up their details. Same for traits, etc. I am sure there's more to come in future releases.

2nd) I personally like to use the Actions Tab to create a new Spell Group to contain various effects and features to reference (especially ones that get used often, hence my Drag n Drop series). So if a character in the campaign is going to be using Demoralize a lot or Trip, or they are using Sudden Charge or similar Class Feature, having a quick reference (with, often, automation associated) comes in handy.

That's not to say that Archives isn't an amazing site (it is! I use it often), just that anything that reduces the need to slow down the game to look up things for the GM or players helps promote a smoother gameplay and more familiarity with their characters and the rules.

myyra
August 24th, 2021, 12:35
A few other things I want to point out.

1st) Trenloe has done an amazing job of adding additional "look-up" features to the game. So when someone has Sickness: 1 on the CT or Enfeebled: 1, you can now double-click those highlighted entries to pull up their details. Same for traits, etc. I am sure there's more to come in future releases.

2nd) I personally like to use the Actions Tab to create a new Spell Group to contain various effects and features to reference (especially ones that get used often, hence my Drag n Drop series). So if a character in the campaign is going to be using Demoralize a lot or Trip, or they are using Sudden Charge or similar Class Feature, having a quick reference (with, often, automation associated) comes in handy.

That's not to say that Archives isn't an amazing site (it is! I use it often), just that anything that reduces the need to slow down the game to look up things for the GM or players helps promote a smoother gameplay and more familiarity with their characters and the rules.
I definitely appreciate having commonly used actions easily accessible like this.

What I use Nethys for, is looking up rules. I also like it for exploring my options when deciding what feats to take or what monsters to throw at my players. I feel like it is much easier to search for stuff there than within FG.