PDA

View Full Version : More than one GM in the group

Bwoerth
August 16th, 2021, 16:30
Is there a way to have more than one GM in the group, without having to purchase two licenses and two of every book that is being used?

Right now, I am running Age of Ashes. I have purchased the unity license and most of the pathfinder 2e books. As we finish up, I would like to pass off GMing to another player. But, does this mean that he has to buy everything that I have already purchased? Is there a way for us to use my books in the campaign? Or do they have to be owned by the gm? Any options to reduce this cost some?

As far as running the game, if I am part of the group, can we have any number of demo players? Or is it just up to what account the GM has?

Thanks!

SilentRuin
August 16th, 2021, 16:59
The way SW makes money and can allow my players (and yours) to play for free is that the host buys the resources.

For me I bought the ultimate license and resources I use with it so that I could allow my players to play for free. As I plan to run these things for more than a year, doing this was the way to go. If you only plan on running a campaign temporarily then just doing monthly payments would be the way to go. The FGU license is a one user one license deal so they can keep their people paid and make a living.

I strongly suspect the other companies/individuals that sell the resource parts used in FGU (sold separately) are one person one license also - but you'd have to look that up per product as some are free and some are paid.

Gist is, I don't believe there are legal ways to have someone else be a Host without incurring the cost, or else they would never be able to support the small support/dev teams they currently have. I have no problem with this. But also, having said that, have no problems with you trying to find the cheapest way to get your players a good experience. Legally that is, without financially hurting those that make the resources and apps they use in favor of those that use them.

Bwoerth
August 16th, 2021, 17:10
I definitely understand that. If I host the game and run it, we only need one license and one book for our group. It's just rough that if I want to pass of GMing that our group will now have to have two licenses and two of each book. I am just hoping that there would be someone for it to work as long as "someone" in the group paid and owned everything.

I understand they need to make money, but they have setup the situation where a gaming group only needs one of these things. I am just wanting to continue that.

SilentRuin
August 16th, 2021, 17:28
I definitely understand that. If I host the game and run it, we only need one license and one book for our group. It's just rough that if I want to pass of GMing that our group will now have to have two licenses and two of each book. I am just hoping that there would be someone for it to work as long as "someone" in the group paid and owned everything.

I understand they need to make money, but they have setup the situation where a gaming group only needs one of these things. I am just wanting to continue that.

Like most things dealing with software licenses - if I have a game - say some $60 game I've bought off steam - and I can just share it at will with my friends to use and play with. Then the authors of that game wouldn't make anything.

Bwoerth
August 16th, 2021, 17:33
I get what you are saying with that, but I can already share it with my friends. All five of us are playing with this game right now. I just don't want to be a forever gm. That is all.

SilentRuin
August 16th, 2021, 17:38
I get what you are saying with that, but I can already share it with my friends. All five of us are playing with this game right now. I just don't want to be a forever gm. That is all.

Your friends can connect as demo (free) to host (paid), if that is what you mean by shared. That was for sure not what I was talking about being "shared". You legally cannot share the paid part. As in the "host" and "resources" only the host runs - as in sharing the host license/etc. with another host.

Bonkon
August 16th, 2021, 18:12
Good Day Bwoerth :)
One thing to keep in mind for passing off DMing responsibilities is that the DM does not require all the books if using purchased modules. All the statistics for monsters and NPCs are supplied with the module so no need to purchase a "Monster Manual".

The universal usage of FG would allow someone to input whatever information they need to play the game too (Classes, Races, Spells, Special Abilities...etc) and export it as a Module that can be used (Only while connected to the DM's game). This is time consuming, but the entire book would not be required, just what you and your players would need. Easiest if the person making it has a PDF.

Also perhaps the group can all help pitch in over time to help pay for things so the cost is not all one the one person DMing. :)