PDA

View Full Version : PDF Character Sheets for 5e and DCC

seansps
August 15th, 2021, 00:43
Hi all,

I posted a link on the FG subreddit, but thought I’d cross post here.

After trying several different PDF tools for FG, I wanted to make one that exported more information. I made this tool here for converting the XML exports of FG characters to a readable PDF:
https://fantasygrounds2pdf.vercel.app

It’s still in an early state, but it supports D&D 5e and Dungeon Crawl Classics currently.

There are probably bugs, and it doesn’t have a real “home” yet (nor is it super pretty) but I figured I’d share in case others were looking for an easy way to print off character sheets for your players.

Caveats:
- Only supports Chrome
- Once you select the XML and convert, you must Ctl-P to print it and “Save as PDF”
- Only 5e, DCC, and Cyberpunk RED sheets supported now (those are the systems I’ve been playing, but maybe I’ll add more eventually)

This is just a front-end app, so nothing is saved to a server.

Example of DCC sheet (pg 1):

Updates: Supports Cyberpunk RED as well!

Jiminimonka
August 15th, 2021, 10:56
Nice one!

jrowsey1
August 15th, 2021, 16:33
Just an FYI, it appears to work with Safari browser, not exclusively Chrome.

seansps
August 15th, 2021, 16:37
Just an FYI, it appears to work with Safari browser, not exclusively Chrome.

Oh cool! Thanks for testing!

Kenjini
August 16th, 2021, 14:15
Hi seansps,

I was able to export and print off a Drow elf Palidan using Waterfox x64 G3.2.4.1 under Windows 11.

seansps
August 16th, 2021, 14:17
Hi seansps,

I was able to export and print off a Drow elf Palidan using Waterfox x64 G3.2.4.1 under Windows 11.

Awesome! I had to look up what that browser was 😂. Glad it’s working!

dbachen
August 17th, 2021, 18:11
Awesome. As other similar projects have fallen apart, its good to see someone picking up the torch.

bmccord
January 20th, 2023, 02:36
Hi all,

I posted a link on the FG subreddit, but thought I’d cross post here.

After trying several different PDF tools for FG, I wanted to make one that exported more information. I made this tool here for converting the XML exports of FG characters to a readable PDF:
https://fantasygrounds2pdf.vercel.app

It’s still in an early state, but it supports D&D 5e and Dungeon Crawl Classics currently.

There are probably bugs, and it doesn’t have a real “home” yet (nor is it super pretty) but I figured I’d share in case others were looking for an easy way to print off character sheets for your players.

Caveats:
- Only supports Chrome
- Once you select the XML and convert, you must Ctl-P to print it and “Save as PDF”
- Only 5e and DCC sheets supported now (those are the systems I’ve been playing, but maybe I’ll add more eventually)

This is just a front-end app, so nothing is saved to a server.

Example of DCC sheet (pg 1):

This is fantastic. Best one I've used so far. I noticed a couple of bugs though. I'm wondering if the source is available somewhere? I would be interested in contributing back by fixing some of the things I noticed.

seansps
January 20th, 2023, 02:44
This is fantastic. Best one I've used so far. I noticed a couple of bugs though. I'm wondering if the source is available somewhere? I would be interested in contributing back by fixing some of the things I noticed.

Thank you! Yes I imagine I have a few bugs that need ironing.

That would be great if you could help!

You can pull the source here and I think you should be able to do a PR on it if not I can give permission: https://github.com/seansps/fg2pdf

DGM
March 7th, 2023, 19:08
Absolute thank you for making this tool it is super useful.

seansps
March 7th, 2023, 20:21
No problem!

I also added support for our new Cyberpunk RED ruleset which uses the form filled pdf. Might be some bugs with that one but should be easy to fix if so!

damned
March 7th, 2023, 23:02
Great work seansps

dbachen
March 8th, 2023, 12:35
Noticed that it doesn't handle multiclassing. It only handled the primary class of the character.

seansps
March 8th, 2023, 14:04
Noticed that it doesn't handle multiclassing. It only handled the primary class of the character.

Good catch! I just pushed a fix up that should take care of that now and grab all the classes (for 5e.)

Mytherus
March 8th, 2023, 17:23
This is quite good. Works very well.

Io fato niente
October 30th, 2023, 21:31
hi, is it still working? i made an xml with FG 4.4 and when i load the file the website does nothing.

My header:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root version="4.4" dataversion="20230911" release="8.1|CoreRPG:6">

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2023, 21:59
hi, is it still working? i made an xml with FG 4.4 and when i load the file the website does nothing.

My header:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root version="4.4" dataversion="20230911" release="8.1|CoreRPG:6">
It only works with 5E and DCC characters, not coreRPG characters.

seansps
October 30th, 2023, 22:14
LordEntrails is right. I still maintain it (when anyone reports bugs!) but currently only supports those two, plus also Cyberpunk RED! (Cyberpunk RED is the only one that uses form-fillable PDFs, the others it generates.)

I've been wanting to add PF2e to the supported rulesets, but haven't been able to get to that one yet.

It is possible that you found a bug, if you upload the XML I can take a look.

seansps
October 30th, 2023, 22:49
By the way, I just found some bugs where it failed if Race or Class was empty (for 5e). Just fixed those!

Morenu
October 31st, 2023, 01:03
:: Sniffs around :: no PF1e ah well :) sounds like nice work!

Nylanfs
October 31st, 2023, 05:14
<coughs in PCGen (http://pcgen.org/)>

Just sayin'

:)

Trenloe
October 31st, 2023, 11:13
The data related to CoreRPG in the XML is the version of the CoreRPG ruleset that the main ruleset is layered over the top of. The XML header provided in post #16 indicates that the main ruleset release is 8.1 and that the underlying CoreRPG version was 6. The name of the ruleset used for the exported PC is not actually indicated in the XML.

Trenloe
October 31st, 2023, 11:14
<coughs in PCGen (http://pcgen.org/)>

Just sayin'

:)
PCGen's cool, but does it convert FG PC XML into a PDF?

Nylanfs
October 31st, 2023, 12:41
I maintain my 35e and Pathfinder chars in PCGen then import into FG, and output to a pdf for F2F play. I thought I'd mention it since they are looking for a pdf solution. :)

Chivalrous1
November 4th, 2023, 21:28
This is an awesome tool. I wish I were a programmer that could help convert them to better looking / customized PDFs. What you have is a most excellent basic sheet.

seansps
November 4th, 2023, 21:40
This is an awesome tool. I wish I were a programmer that could help convert them to better looking / customized PDFs. What you have is a most excellent basic sheet.

Thank you!

Yeah, lol… I’m not a designer so I made it pretty basic. But if someone could provide a good design- I could work on it to match that!

fetito666
November 9th, 2023, 19:13
@Devs: Could this be implemented as an official feature please?

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2023, 21:10
@Devs: Could this be implemented as an official feature please?
Add it to the wish list; http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Io fato niente
November 13th, 2023, 21:56

I don't understand, I'm using 5e manuals! The official ones, we paid for them.

Io fato niente
November 13th, 2023, 21:57
The data related to CoreRPG in the XML is the version of the CoreRPG ruleset that the main ruleset is layered over the top of. The XML header provided in post #16 indicates that the main ruleset release is 8.1 and that the underlying CoreRPG version was 6. The name of the ruleset used for the exported PC is not actually indicated in the XML.

So are you saying that it correctly states that I used official manuals?

Io fato niente
November 13th, 2023, 22:00
LordEntrails is right. I still maintain it (when anyone reports bugs!) but currently only supports those two, plus also Cyberpunk RED! (Cyberpunk RED is the only one that uses form-fillable PDFs, the others it generates.)

I've been wanting to add PF2e to the supported rulesets, but haven't been able to get to that one yet.

It is possible that you found a bug, if you upload the XML I can take a look.

Thanks man, but in the end I just got a blank char sheet and filled it by hand, so I don't have the xml anymore.

LordEntrails
November 13th, 2023, 22:09
I don't understand, I'm using 5e manuals! The official ones, we paid for them.
No, that's not what I was saying. But don't worry about it.

No. See above. In short we are talking about the ruleset being used in FG. My post was wrong, Trenloe corrected my error.

seansps
November 13th, 2023, 22:15

If you are trying a D&D 5e character XML file and it is still not working, it might be a bug in my code.

If you attach the XML to a post here, I'd be happy to pull it down and fix the issue.

Io fato niente
November 13th, 2023, 22:26
If you are trying a D&D 5e character XML file and it is still not working, it might be a bug in my code.

If you attach the XML to a post here, I'd be happy to pull it down and fix the issue.

I created it again. Please note that a couple of months ago I tried with my first level char and it worked.

seansps
November 13th, 2023, 22:30
I created it again. Please note that a couple of months ago I tried with my first level char and it worked.

This seems to be working now! (For me anyway.) Try it in Chrome if you haven’t already.

I fixed some bugs earlier that were caused by empty fields, which might have been the issue before.

bnortman
February 2nd, 2024, 21:38
That is amazing...

Real time saver