PDA

View Full Version : Module editing

GMBazUK
August 18th, 2007, 08:54
Ive checked the earlier posts concerning the editing of modules, and the most recent I could find was Stuarts Modules AAAArgh thread, which dates back to before FG2.

Is the position with editing previously compiled modules the same?
i.e. It is not possible to activate a module in FG, edit the contents and then re-export it as the same module to over write?

Also , Ive been having a bit of trouble linking to an image file for the module icon. How big does the image need to be?

Thanks in advance
Baz.

Griogre
August 18th, 2007, 20:42
Not sure I am following your question. There may be a little confusion here. First, assuming we are talking about an adventure module (with maps, personalities, ect), if you activate an adventure module into another campaign edit adventure module data in that campaign and then export the campaign you are playing in - no it will have no effect.

If you want to edit data in an adventure module permanently, you need to load the adventure module's campaign make the changes and re-export the module to see the changes in any other campaign that activates the adventure module.

Is is easier to explain with a real example. Say you have an adventure module called "RA Upper Levels". Say you have a campaign you are running the module in called "FUM Open Table". The characters are all in the FUM campaign and I activate the RA Upper Level module. If I were to make a change in "FUM Open Table" campaign to the "RA Upper Level" module while it was activated, it does not actually change anything in the RA Upper Level module. You can do it this way for temporary changes, like writing in pencil in the margins of a real paper module. With FG as soon as you un-activate the module and re-activate it the edited changes will go away because you are just dealing with a copy of the RA Upper Level Module and un-activating and re-activation pulls the actual original module data back in.

If I really want to make a permanent change to the RA Upper Level adventure Module I would need to load the RA Upper Level campaign edit *it* and then re-export it. Then when I re-activated it in my FUM Open Table game it would have the changes.

If this still is not clear ask giving specific names of modules and campaigns.

Edit: On the module image file their book ones were like 76x86. I use 64x64 ones, they are resized automatically, but it may not look good if it has to be resized too much.

GMBazUK
August 19th, 2007, 09:32
Yeah, on reflection my question was a little... sketchy.
I was looking for advice on making permanent changes to modules, and as you assumed whether it was possible to do so when activating them within a campaign, but I understand now that it is only possible by modifying the original unexported source for the module (or campaign) and re-exporting from there as Stuart alluded to. Thanks Griogre.