PDA

View Full Version : Dice String match question

Dozenbeer
August 11th, 2021, 19:34
Hey, I am desperately trying to do a very simple dice string that is not possible with CoreRPG.

Basically the dice are always 2d6, but depending on what attribute the character chooses, the throws will look like this:

0 = 2d6
1 = 3d6k2
-1 = 3d6kl2

etc.

But, in this ruleset you can get a modifier that doesnt modify the outcome, but adds a die to one throw, so instead of a 2d6, it would become (with a -1) 3d6kl2.

I absolutely have no clue how to string it together. Even the more easier ones like making a 3d6k2 to a 4d6k2 isnt working. Tried math, but I have no clue why it wouldnt work, it does even display the correct math (see attachment) but only throws one die.
Its my first time using MoreCore. Please help.

Edit: I just figured out that I could make it look like this ((p1)d6+2d6)k2 and it will work, how to add a modifier that increases the throw for only one round?

damned
August 12th, 2021, 02:59
Hi Dozenbeer

Without writing some code you cant make this work in a fully automated way.

I dont understand what you have described about the attributes.

I would be inclined to have 3 rolls separate from my Stats/Attributes.

Standard /die 2d6
hide p1, p2, p3
Bonus /die [(p1)+2]d6k2
hide p2, p3
Penalty /die [(p1)+2]d6kl2
hide p2, p3

Then the player can adjust the value in p1 prior to the roll if needed.

Dozenbeer
August 12th, 2021, 03:03
Thank you so far, is there any way to have a modifier that adds a d6 instead of a stat? Like the standard would be a 3d6k2 roll, but my player clicks on a MoreCore modifier (that I set up) that adds an additional d6, making it 4d6k2 ?

damned
August 12th, 2021, 03:06
Not without writing code.

You could adjust the rolls above to already assume 3 dice with

Bonus /die [(p1)+3]d6k2
Penalty /die [(p1)+3]d6kl2

Dozenbeer
August 12th, 2021, 03:11
Okay, thank you for your quick answer. I just fear that changing the box constantly will make it harder to track the initial value that was set, but I think I have a workaround for that if it doesnt work otherwise.
Unfortunately I cant code. BUT, your work and Fantasy Grounds in general made me finally want to fully commit to it and learn it, so I can code all of my favourite RPGs. This one here is for "Stories from the Grave" which is a Tales from the Crypt Horror Anthology RPG (also very much so suited for Twilight Zone).

Thank you again, maybe someday, you will see my full ruleset here on the forums :)

damned
August 12th, 2021, 03:36
I would keep the stats separate.
Put the three rolls in one panel and I would put all Attributes in another.
The attributes wont change but the rolls might change from turn to turn.

I havent read that particular RPG.