PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Friend Zone

Pages : [1] 2

MeAndUnique
August 11th, 2021, 19:21
Current Version: 1.2.2

Friend Zone adds support for companions of any sort.
On the character sheet, the Logs tab contents have been relocated to the bottom of the Notes tab, and in its place a Cohorts tab has been created. Simply drag in any NPC to the Cohorts list on this new tab to give the PC a companion. Any cohorts that are added to the CT from the character sheet will be fully controllable by the player, including advancing turn on the CT, and token movement and vision on the map. Further, the cohort will be fully linked on the CT, so changes made to either the CT entry or the NPC sheet will be reflected on the other, same as PCs.

Additionally, support is provided for Eldritch Cannons, Primal Companions, Steel Defenders, and Wildfire Spirits from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, as well as MCDM's Monstrous Companions, or any creature that similarly scales in level with its caregiver. Automating calculation of hit points, saves, attack modifiers, and so forth, based on the player character's relevant bonuses. Simply add the creature the the player's Cohort tab!

Check it out on The Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/170/view) or at GitHub (https://github.com/MeAndUnique/FriendZone) and please let me know if you have any comments or concerns.
Hope it helps!

If you wish to buy me a coffee (https://ko-fi.com/meandunique), I would be extremely grateful. Though please don't feel any pressure or obligation to do so!

Stv
August 11th, 2021, 20:11
That sounds ricidulous :O
Good job, I'm sure my DM will find this one useful, we have a party that loves pets :)

Cheers, Steve

MeAndUnique
August 11th, 2021, 20:19
Let me know how it goes! I have my own ideas for things that can be improved moving forward and I'd love to hear other perspectives as well :)

rhagelstrom
August 11th, 2021, 21:31
This sounds amazing. Nice one!

MeAndUnique
August 11th, 2021, 21:32
Who doesn't love immediate hot fixes? v0.2 addresses a minor under-the hood data concern that shouldn't affect anyone directly, but would be a risk for problems down the road. The update is presently available on Github and is awaiting approval on The Forge, though it can be grabbed at your leisure, since there shouldn't be any current impact.

Oh, and it also adds the extension icon in the chat window when loaded, cause I know everyone adores my mashed together iconography.

MeAndUnique
August 11th, 2021, 21:33
This sounds amazing. Nice one!

Thanks! :o

nephranka
August 11th, 2021, 23:50
Very cool. We will use this a lot. Great work!

nephranka
August 12th, 2021, 00:35
Update:
Never mind. User error. :)

nephranka
August 12th, 2021, 01:20
Update 2:
So, my confusion came from the fact the "cohorts" tab has disappeared and cohorts have moved to the "log" tab. I am not sure this is expected behavior? This is directly related to Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Tweaks v1.3.

Additionally, I pick up a polymorphism error ("Polymorphism requires sheet to be in combat tracker.") when the GM or player tries to open the sheet on of the cohort on the tab. It still opens. This error I am still trying to track down the conflict. It is not in poly, like you might expect ;(

nephranka
August 12th, 2021, 01:51
Last update:

I found the Polymorphism error source. It appears to be a combination of Kit'N'Kaboodle v2.0.4 and Polymorphism v1.24. As soon as you open a cohort sheet on the player's "cohort" tab it throws the output to chat and opens the sheet.

Kit'N'Kaboodle v2.0.4 also seems to be stopping map control for movement and sight through the cohort token.

It also happens with the "log" tab that is associated with the other issue I found with mad's ext.

MeAndUnique
August 12th, 2021, 15:18
Awesome, thank you for providing so much info! I'll take a look at the conflicts and reach out to the other devs involved as necessary... the Kit'N'Kaboodle conflict is rather embarrassing though...

Sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime.

nephranka
August 12th, 2021, 15:35
No worries...glad to help.

MeAndUnique
August 12th, 2021, 17:46
Version 2.0.5 of Kit'N'Kaboodle should resolve both the Polymorphism issue, and the token control issue in Friend Zone. Looking at Character Sheet Tweaks presently.

nephranka
August 12th, 2021, 18:54
Wow...super fast!

All fixed. The only outstanding issue is the tab being "log" with madnomad's ext.

TheoGeek
August 13th, 2021, 04:46
This is a sweet extension that my players will really enjoy! One thing I noticed is that if I have Silent Ruin's Death Indicator extension loaded, I get this error when opening the "friend's" sheet from either the combat tracker or the "cohorts" tab.

"[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/template_death_indicator.l..."]:513: attempt to index field 'nametitle' (a nil value)"

SilentRuin
August 13th, 2021, 05:21
This is a sweet extension that my players will really enjoy! One thing I noticed is that if I have Silent Ruin's Death Indicator extension loaded, I get this error when opening the "friend's" sheet from either the combat tracker or the "cohorts" tab.

"[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/template_death_indicator.l..."]:513: attempt to index field 'nametitle' (a nil value)"

I am merely the caretaker of this I did not write it - only mangled it to work in FGU and do other things I wanted.

But nametitle should not be nil... its in 5E\campaign\record_char.xml ...

<label_charframetop name="nametitle">

so should exist.

TheoGeek
August 13th, 2021, 05:33
hmmm...maybe I'll do some more digging if I have time.

Aridhro
August 13th, 2021, 20:04
Nice extension, as always. Super useful

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2021, 17:30
Death Indicators recent fix should now be compatible with this extension as far as I know.

Rades
August 15th, 2021, 02:12
Tried this out for the first time today, worked great! The only minor snag was when we were trying to figure out why the player couldn't drag his companion onto the combat tracker, before realizing that (of course) the DM had to do it. But actual control of the companion worked like a charm, so thanks for this extension!

nephranka
August 15th, 2021, 13:07
One thing I did notice is that if you change the cohort's token faction to neutral, then you can no longer dbl click the token to open the cohort's sheet. You can still get to the cohort's sheet off of the player's sheet using the cohort/log tab. When the faction is friendly you can open the cohort's sheet either way.

FredSuper6
August 16th, 2021, 02:04
I am very excited to use this. Last session I was struggling to find my Cleric's spiritual weapon (technically npc so a useable token would appear), and it took some time to find. Hopefully, this will save me much time in the future :).

nephranka
August 16th, 2021, 14:44
My group uses this for both spiritual weapons and familiars. It allows them to maintain map history acquired through the familiar which is great. The weapon takes some work off me since they can attack with it and move it around.

MeAndUnique
August 16th, 2021, 20:56
Just released v0.3 which fixes an occasional minor (but annoying) bug for the speed field on NPC sheets as well as a pretty big one preventing proper functioning when leveling up character by dropping classes on to the character sheet (and some similar activities).

Also, I have spoken with Mad Nomad regarding the Character Sheet Tweaks conflict and he was on board with implementing a solution.

MeAndUnique
August 30th, 2021, 14:33
Just released v0.4 which addresses a conflict with Assistant GM.

MrDDT
August 30th, 2021, 17:48
Sweet, I will check it out.

SmackDaddy
September 5th, 2021, 00:30
Just released v0.3 which fixes an occasional minor (but annoying) bug for the speed field on NPC sheets as well as a pretty big one preventing proper functioning when leveling up character by dropping classes on to the character sheet (and some similar activities).

Also, I have spoken with Mad Nomad regarding the Character Sheet Tweaks conflict and he was on board with implementing a solution.

Any word from MadNomad on his progress with this (i.e. do you know?)

Tooting Dog
September 5th, 2021, 21:52
As a player I could not get the "friend" to forward the turn order in the CT. Turned off Polymorphism and came back in and it worked. Then tried again with Polymorphism enabled and I could not forward the turn order again. Not an exhaustive test but it seems to point to a problem at least for me.

MrDDT
September 5th, 2021, 22:37
I'm having issues also, however I use 100+ exts and I've not checked to see which is having the issue. So I've turned this off for now until I can check what the conflict is.

nephranka
September 6th, 2021, 02:50
As a player I could not get the "friend" to forward the turn order in the CT. Turned off Polymorphism and came back in and it worked. Then tried again with Polymorphism enabled and I could not forward the turn order again. Not an exhaustive test but it seems to point to a problem at least for me.

I can confirm that it silently fails and does not allow the player to advance the cohorts turn while loaded with Polymorphism.

MeAndUnique
September 6th, 2021, 17:03
Hey everyone, thanks for the report and confirmations of the conflict. I have ascertained that the issue stems from the use of custom turn handling in Polymorphism and have provided a couple of suggestions to the author that ought to resolve the conflict without any negative impacts.

MeAndUnique
September 6th, 2021, 17:06
Any word from MadNomad on his progress with this (i.e. do you know?)

Unfortunately, I have not heard about any updates.

SilentRuin
September 6th, 2021, 20:08
Hey everyone, thanks for the report and confirmations of the conflict. I have ascertained that the issue stems from the use of custom turn handling in Polymorphism and have provided a couple of suggestions to the author that ought to resolve the conflict without any negative impacts.

As you know, fixed for ya. Polymorphism and Assistant GM updated.

MeAndUnique
September 6th, 2021, 21:32
As you know, fixed for ya. Polymorphism and Assistant GM updated.

Thanks again for the fast turnaround!

nephranka
September 7th, 2021, 01:56
Great work on the fix!

PixelCorpse
September 12th, 2021, 12:59
This is a great extension!

MeAndUnique
September 12th, 2021, 17:38
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! :o

mcharbon72
September 15th, 2021, 17:33
Love the idea. Need to try it for 5E!
I'm currently prepping a Campaign for Starfinder:
- At load, I get the error message: [ERROR] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/icons/char_race.png) for icon (char_cohorts). [FriendZone] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]
- All the character tabs are jumbled up with this extension :( Pic provided.
I understand Starfinder is not a high priority. But if you find time to come to it, I will be happy to participate in the trials :)

Thanks and continue your great work!

MeAndUnique
September 23rd, 2021, 17:28
Love the idea. Need to try it for 5E!
I'm currently prepping a Campaign for Starfinder:
- At load, I get the error message: [ERROR] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/icons/char_race.png) for icon (char_cohorts). [FriendZone] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]
- All the character tabs are jumbled up with this extension :( Pic provided.
I understand Starfinder is not a high priority. But if you find time to come to it, I will be happy to participate in the trials :)

Thanks and continue your great work!

Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. While I have nothing against supporting other rulesets with the extension, I honestly don't know when I'll have bandwidth to work on them. However, I'd be more than happy to make time to look over a PR to the code base if someone feels so motivated to tackle this challenge before I am able to look at it in earnest.

nephranka
September 27th, 2021, 11:40
Last night I had a player that I gave control of an npc. When I put the npc on the map from the cohort tab, they could not move them and clicking the token brought an error about not owning the node. When we restarted it worked fine. I am trying to track down the ext conflict but so far no luck.I will report back if I can find it, for now I am just reporting the event in case others have a similar issue.

MeAndUnique
September 27th, 2021, 15:25
Last night I had a player that I gave control of an npc. When I put the npc on the map from the cohort tab, they could not move them and clicking the token brought an error about not owning the node. When we restarted it worked fine. I am trying to track down the ext conflict but so far no luck.I will report back if I can find it, for now I am just reporting the event in case others have a similar issue.

Still gotta go to the CT first when using Friend Zone, Fantasy Grounds in general is quite picky about that, unfortunately. I can look at trying to prevent the error and/or showing a reminder to go from Cohort tab > CT > map.

nephranka
September 27th, 2021, 16:50
Still gotta go to the CT first when using Friend Zone, Fantasy Grounds in general is quite picky about that, unfortunately. I can look at trying to prevent the error and/or showing a reminder to go from Cohort tab > CT > map.

I am sorry i was not very careful with my wording. I did follow that exact procedure. I am sure there is a conflict with one of my many extensions. Also, I did pull the npc from a story entry in a module that was loaded and placed in on the cohort tab, so maybe that could be an issue?

MeAndUnique
September 27th, 2021, 17:17
I am sorry i was not very careful with my wording. I did follow that exact procedure. I am sure there is a conflict with one of my many extensions. Also, I did pull the npc from a story entry in a module that was loaded and placed in on the cohort tab, so maybe that could be an issue?

Ahh, then yeah conflict with another extension is the most likely candidate. NPC from a module's story entry should be just fine, as far as I've seen.

nephranka
October 5th, 2021, 01:32
Well, I have new information but I fear you will not be able to help me.

The events are as follows:
When placing a npc on the CT from the cohort tab then to the map, the new token is not available for the pc to move/interact with. The pc has multiple npcs on the cohort tab and the one I drag/drop from the cohort tab to the CT is remove on the client side cohort tab but still present on the host view. If we restart we both see in back in the cohort list. This also occurs only when another pc is present in the CT.

I have tried to find the ext causing the problem but it seems that it is more of a state bug since I can not recreate it in a new campaign with all the ext loaded regularly. Sometimes it will happen and then not again.

My only hope is that the description of what is happening might give you an idea of what might be happening behind the scenes.

I will keep testing and report back if there is any new developments.

Klandare
October 5th, 2021, 03:56

When placing a npc on the map from the cohort tab the new token is not available for the pc to move/interact with. The pc has multiple npcs on the cohort tab and the one I drag/drop is remove on the client side but still present on the host view. If we restart we both see in back in the cohort list. This also occurs only when another pc is present in the CT.

I have tried to find the ext causing the problem but it seems that it is more of a state bug since I can not recreate it in a new campaign with all the ext loaded regularly. Sometimes it will happen and then not again.

My only hope is that the description of what is happening might give you an idea of what might be happening behind the scenes.

You should not be moving the NPC from the cohorts tab to the map. They need to be moved to the Combat Tracker and from there they get put onto the map. Then they should be controllable.

nephranka
October 5th, 2021, 10:44
You should not be moving the NPC from the cohorts tab to the map. They need to be moved to the Combat Tracker and from there they get put onto the map. Then they should be controllable.

Sorry, I misspoke there. I put them on the ct from the cohort tab then from the CT to the map. I went back and corrected the post. Thanks for catching that.

MeAndUnique
October 5th, 2021, 17:40

When placing a npc on the CT from the cohort tab then to the map, the new token is not available for the pc to move/interact with. The pc has multiple npcs on the cohort tab and the one I drag/drop from the cohort tab to the CT is remove on the client side cohort tab but still present on the host view. If we restart we both see in back in the cohort list. This also occurs only when another pc is present in the CT.

It does sound like something is getting gummed up internally. Possibly a misalignment of assumption between this and another extension causing it to be an occasional occurrence. Possible another extension that handles ownership in some fashion or directly interacts with the CT?

nsaldiv1
October 5th, 2021, 19:03
Hey Nephranka, I love this extension but am considering purchasing Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Tweaks, were you able to to resolve issues between the two? I do not have Polymorphism.

MeAndUnique
October 5th, 2021, 19:11
Hey Nephranka, I love this extension but am considering purchasing Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Tweaks, were you able to to resolve issues between the two? I do not have Polymorphism.

I have not yet received any further updates on the status from Mad Nomad.

nephranka
October 5th, 2021, 19:21

As MeAndUnique stated no movement there but other than the tab being mislabeled, I have had no issues.

arcanjl
October 9th, 2021, 22:19
Was there any movement on this, that I missed? :)
I love both extensions but have not played with Mad's for a while

nsaldiv1
October 9th, 2021, 22:29
Was there any movement on this, that I missed? :)
I love both extensions but have not played with Mad's for a while

I haven’t heard anything official but I am currently running both extensions without noticeable issue! It simply renames the “cohorts” tab back to “log” but still maintains the full Friend Zone functionality.

Great job on this extension, MeAndUnique!

arcanjl
October 9th, 2021, 22:43
I misunderstood :)

MeAndUnique
October 10th, 2021, 18:16
I haven’t heard anything official but I am currently running both extensions without noticeable issue! It simply renames the “cohorts” tab back to “log” but still maintains the full Friend Zone functionality.

Great job on this extension, MeAndUnique!

Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it!

dpezet
November 6th, 2021, 03:44
I just wanted to drop a quick note to say how amazing this extension is. It seems like everyone in my group has to have a pet, familiar, homunculus, or adopted street urchin. Your plugin makes my life so much easier. I can't thank you enough.

MeAndUnique
November 6th, 2021, 14:53
I just wanted to drop a quick note to say how amazing this extension is. It seems like everyone in my group has to have a pet, familiar, homunculus, or adopted street urchin. Your plugin makes my life so much easier. I can't thank you enough.

Thank you so much for taking the time to say so!

MeAndUnique
November 9th, 2021, 06:51
Just release version 0.5 which adds a cohorts tab to NPCs. Additionally, support has been added for "+PB" notation in the armor description field, which will add the proficiency bonus of the cohort's commander to the cohort's AC when attack rolls are made against it. For example, if a 5th level Ranger has an animal companion with an AC of 13 and a description of "+PB (natural armor)", the companion's AC will be calculated as 16 for any incoming attacks.

Leprekorn
November 9th, 2021, 06:57
Very nice

PixelCorpse
November 10th, 2021, 05:10

This expanison is easy to use, and have spread like wildfire amoung our tables. We are a group of about 16 players in Bloemfontein SouthAfrica!

MeAndUnique
December 10th, 2021, 21:12
Just released version 1.0.0 which adds full support for creatures that scale in power with their caregiver, such as Primal Companions from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything or MCDM's Monstrous Companions.

Leprekorn
December 10th, 2021, 21:13
How does that work then?

MeAndUnique
December 10th, 2021, 21:22
Simply drag and drop a Primal Companion NPC from TCoE (e.g. Beast of the Land) on to the Ranger's Cohorts tab and add to the CT. All statistics that are influenced by the player will now automatically parse and evaluate accordingly.

Leprekorn
December 10th, 2021, 21:22
Black magic

MeAndUnique
December 10th, 2021, 21:28
For more nuanced homebrew, pretty much anywhere a number could normally be added, so may the PB of the caregiver, e.g. "On hit: 1d6 +PB slashing Damage" in an action or "Str +3 +PB" in the saving throws field. Also, can be scaled with any power group from the character's action tab (matching by group name), e.g. "Melee Weapon Attack: your eldritch invocation attack modifier to hit".

dbachen
December 11th, 2021, 03:56
Hey M&U. I started getting script errors tonight in my game and it took me a while to unload every extension and test them, but I think its FriendZone which is causing it. I have FZ 1.0.0.
After tracking it down, I used another test campaign I use for QA and only loaded up FZ and nothing else. I get the error when opening any character sheet.
I created a brand new character and immediately got it.

i then created a brand new campaign. I only loaded 1 extension, FriendZone and got the error.

its been working fine for me before since you released it. Did an FG update break something? or did you release a new version tonight? i do see that my extension looks to be updated as of tonight, but it still has the 1.0.0 version on it (looking inside the extension though, the dates on the inside are 12-10 16:04 so i think maybe an update was pushed?

[12/10/2021 10:46:27 PM] EXTENSION: Friend Zone v1.0.0 by MeAndUnique.
[12/10/2021 10:46:27 PM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 2 - 2006.5485
[12/10/2021 10:46:37 PM] [WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.
[12/10/2021 10:46:37 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_actor_5E.lua"]:147: attempt to call field 'getTypeAndNode' (a nil value)
[12/10/2021 10:46:48 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_actor_5E.lua"]:147: attempt to call field 'getTypeAndNode' (a nil value)
[12/10/2021 10:49:33 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_actor_5E.lua"]:147: attempt to call field 'getTypeAndNode' (a nil value)

dbachen
December 11th, 2021, 03:59
actually, a few lines before that I see this error:
[12/10/2021 10:52:50 PM] [WARNING] Could not load script file (5E) (CharManagerFZ) (scripts/manager_char_fz.lua)
looking at your extension.xml, it looks like you are trying to load it, BUT its not actually in your extensions /scripts subfolder.

So I think it's MIA.

BushViper
December 11th, 2021, 05:38
Hey M&U. I started getting script errors tonight in my game and it took me a while to unload every extension and test them, but I think its FriendZone which is causing it. I have FZ 1.0.0.
After tracking it down, I used another test campaign I use for QA and only loaded up FZ and nothing else. I get the error when opening any character sheet.
I created a brand new character and immediately got it.

i then created a brand new campaign. I only loaded 1 extension, FriendZone and got the error.

its been working fine for me before since you released it. Did an FG update break something? or did you release a new version tonight? i do see that my extension looks to be updated as of tonight, but it still has the 1.0.0 version on it (looking inside the extension though, the dates on the inside are 12-10 16:04 so i think maybe an update was pushed?

[12/10/2021 10:46:27 PM] EXTENSION: Friend Zone v1.0.0 by MeAndUnique.
[12/10/2021 10:46:27 PM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 2 - 2006.5485
[12/10/2021 10:46:37 PM] [WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.
[12/10/2021 10:46:37 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_actor_5E.lua"]:147: attempt to call field 'getTypeAndNode' (a nil value)
[12/10/2021 10:46:48 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_actor_5E.lua"]:147: attempt to call field 'getTypeAndNode' (a nil value)
[12/10/2021 10:49:33 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_actor_5E.lua"]:147: attempt to call field 'getTypeAndNode' (a nil value)

I encountered the same thing today. The update to FriendZone broke a bunch of my other extensions. It's definitely an issue with Friendzone, no question.

MeAndUnique
December 11th, 2021, 07:38
Fixed in version 1.0.1, sorry for the inconvenience.

Klandare
December 11th, 2021, 17:08
Fixed in version 1.0.1, sorry for the inconvenience.

Things seem to be working now. Thanks.

MassSailor
December 16th, 2021, 01:57
The new features to support scaling creature abilities is great - very much appreciated!

Was able to get saves, attacks, and damage to scale with PB. Can hit points be set to scale with level? Tried with an unaltered Primal Companion and by modifying standard beasty but couldn't get the HP to use level. Tried various combinations of Level, Player Level, and Ranger Level. Wasn't sure if this was supported or if I've got the syntax wrong...

MeAndUnique
December 16th, 2021, 02:51
The new features to support scaling creature abilities is great - very much appreciated!

Was able to get saves, attacks, and damage to scale with PB. Can hit points be set to scale with level? Tried with an unaltered Primal Companion and by modifying standard beasty but couldn't get the HP to use level. Tried various combinations of Level, Player Level, and Ranger Level. Wasn't sure if this was supported or if I've got the syntax wrong...

It is intended to update the health both when adding to the Cohorts tab and when the character level changes, so if that's not working I can take a look at addressing the problem. In the meantime you can also right click on the health field and selection option at 3o'clock to reparse.

MeAndUnique
December 16th, 2021, 03:00
Hey everyone, a new module I'm super proud of just release that ties in heavily with Friend Zone, among other great community extensions, to present a new and robust take on monstrous companions. If you or your players enjoy the fantasy of a character that cooperates with a wild creature, I highly recommend taking a look at Beastheart and Monstrous Companions (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFG5EMCDMTB).

Naimed
December 16th, 2021, 13:29
Hey!
Great extension, congratz.
I may be doing this wrong, but I tried the wildfire spirit from tasha for our druid. I drag and drop the "Wildfire Spirit (Template)" from the NPC sheet to the Cohorts tab. Then I drag it from the cohorts tab to the CT. However, hitpoints remain at 1 (should be 5 + 5 times druids lvl).
Sorry if I misread, I thought it worked on hp as well.

Cheers!

Leprekorn
December 16th, 2021, 13:36
How does this work with friendzone are you accounting for some of the optional rules?

MeAndUnique
December 16th, 2021, 15:18
Hey!
Great extension, congratz.
I may be doing this wrong, but I tried the wildfire spirit from tasha for our druid. I drag and drop the "Wildfire Spirit (Template)" from the NPC sheet to the Cohorts tab. Then I drag it from the cohorts tab to the CT. However, hitpoints remain at 1 (should be 5 + 5 times druids lvl).
Sorry if I misread, I thought it worked on hp as well.

Cheers!

Huh. I had missed that for some reason the Wildfire Spirit uses different formatting to indicate how the HP should increase, "5 + five times..." as opposed to the Primal Companions using "5 + 5 times...". I'll look at adding support for parsing either form, though in the mean time if you simply replace the "five" with a "5" and reparse the hitpoints via right click, it oughta get you up and running.

MeAndUnique
December 16th, 2021, 15:22
How does this work with friendzone are you accounting for some of the optional rules?

Assuming you are referring to Beastheart and Monstrous Companions, yeah just about everything about a monstrous companion scales with their caregiver, and Friend Zone automates all if it. Making it super easy to jump right in to the fun of commanding a Gelatinous Cube companion to make Jell-O of your enemies! Or wear a Mimic as a magnificent hat!

Leprekorn
December 16th, 2021, 15:36
You just spend my money for me. What about ferocity?

MeAndUnique
December 16th, 2021, 16:19
You just spend my money for me. What about ferocity?

Thank you so much! Ferocity was the motivating factor for Capital Gains (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/375/view). Also, there's an Appendix A in the Reference Manual for the module that includes links for each extension that the module interacts directly with (all of which are free and actively maintained) as well as some instructions for use in general :)

Leprekorn
December 16th, 2021, 18:10
Taking money right out of my wallet

MeAndUnique
December 16th, 2021, 19:36
Just released version 1.0.2 with a couple of minor bug fixed including for the parsing of "5 + five" syntax on the Wildfire Spirit.

anathemort
December 18th, 2021, 01:19
Did 1.0.2 get updated in the Forge? It is still pulling 1.0.1 for me.

MeAndUnique
December 21st, 2021, 23:57
Version 1.0.3 has been released which fixes a bug when using certain spellcasting cohorts. Also actually bumped the version text in the announcement on load ;)

anathemort
December 22nd, 2021, 04:46
Thanks for the update! I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, trying to get the Wildfire Spirit to work but FZ doesn't seem to be picking up HP or PB in attacks. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

MeAndUnique
December 22nd, 2021, 19:09
Thanks for the update! I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, trying to get the Wildfire Spirit to work but FZ doesn't seem to be picking up HP or PB in attacks. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

My first guess would be that the Spirit on the CT wasn't dragged from the Cohorts tab, since that behavior is consistent with a non-cohort NPC. Otherwise, I have been able to confirm that going from NPC list to Cohorts tab to CT does work as expected in a clean environment for the Wildfire Spirit.

anathemort
December 22nd, 2021, 20:27
Okay, I am dragging from Cohorts to CT, so I will try narrowing down conflicting extensions.

Slagmoth
December 30th, 2021, 22:14
So I just got around to testing this out and it seems to me that I have to have the Cohorts tab set up then drag the pertinent one to the CT then to the map. However, when I do that the player has access to the sheet and rolls but not to request movement of the token. What am I missing?

MeAndUnique
December 31st, 2021, 05:22
So I just got around to testing this out and it seems to me that I have to have the Cohorts tab set up then drag the pertinent one to the CT then to the map. However, when I do that the player has access to the sheet and rolls but not to request movement of the token. What am I missing?

I am seeing this as well; likely something changed in the latest FG update. I will work on getting things back up and running as fast as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

MeAndUnique
December 31st, 2021, 05:42
Version 1.0.4 is live with changes to keep up with recent improvements to ruleset code.

MeAndUnique
January 8th, 2022, 22:08
Just released v1.0.5, which adds the ability to double-click on cohort's tokens on their sheet to open the map they are on.

MrDDT
January 9th, 2022, 05:12
Thanks so much for this @MeAndUnique!!! This is awesome.

Rad80
January 12th, 2022, 12:59
I can't manage to have the PB added in... can anyone post a screenshot or istructions on what exactly I should be writing where on the NPC character sheet?
I'd also like to create the "Primal Bond" feature of Ranger's Primal Companion (add PB to all skills and saves). Is it supported in any way?

Leprekorn
January 12th, 2022, 13:05
duplicate post

Leprekorn
January 12th, 2022, 13:06
Simply drag and drop a Primal Companion NPC from TCoE (e.g. Beast of the Land) on to the Ranger's Cohorts tab and add to the CT. All statistics that are influenced by the player will now automatically parse and evaluate accordingly. For more nuanced homebrew, pretty much anywhere a number could normally be added, so may the PB of the caregiver, e.g. "On hit: 1d6 +PB slashing Damage" in an action or "Str +3 +PB" in the saving throws field. Also, can be scaled with any power group from the character's action tab (matching by group name), e.g. "Melee Weapon Attack: your eldritch invocation attack modifier to hit".

Rad80
January 12th, 2022, 13:27
Simply drag and drop a Primal Companion NPC from TCoE (e.g. Beast of the Land) on to the Ranger's Cohorts tab and add to the CT. All statistics that are influenced by the player will now automatically parse and evaluate accordingly. For more nuanced homebrew, pretty much anywhere a number could normally be added, so may the PB of the caregiver, e.g. "On hit: 1d6 +PB slashing Damage" in an action or "Str +3 +PB" in the saving throws field. Also, can be scaled with any power group from the character's action tab (matching by group name), e.g. "Melee Weapon Attack: your eldritch invocation attack modifier to hit".

I didn't buy Tasha (or any of the manuals) on Fantasy Grounds, just the adventures, so I'm copying everything by hand. What are the "magic words" used in the Tasha material? Copying from the manual did not work or it's not clear what field I should be copying into.

Leprekorn
January 12th, 2022, 13:32
Ok do you have the NPC added to the cohort tab, then drag it to the combat tracker and then in the field in the CT for the NPC that relates to what you want to adjust by PB add the +PB suffix.

Rad80
January 12th, 2022, 13:49
Ok do you have the NPC added to the cohort tab, then drag it to the combat tracker and then in the field in the CT for the NPC that relates to what you want to adjust by PB add the +PB suffix.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I'm making no progress in parsing what you've written here. The CT does not even have editable fields for saving throws or AC and the fields that it does have only accept numbers. I assumed I'd have to write those things in the NPC sheet instead (not that that's working either).
I'll just pretend this feature does not exist for now.

Leprekorn
January 12th, 2022, 13:57
I'm at work atm. Let me take a look on my break in 30 mins and see if I can get it working :)

Leprekorn
January 12th, 2022, 14:29
Ok please see the attached image hope this helps.50940
So once you have added the NPC to the cohort tab and then added it to the CT, open the NPC sheet from the CT. Make sure it is unlocked and then add the +PB next to things you want to add the PB to. In teh picture you can see how it is added to the AC. If you want to add it to skills and abilities I think you will need to add +PB to each individual skill and ability.

Rad80
January 12th, 2022, 17:08
So once you have added the NPC to the cohort tab and then added it to the CT, open the NPC sheet from the CT. Make sure it is unlocked and then add the +PB next to things you want to add the PB to. In teh picture you can see how it is added to the AC. If you want to add it to skills and abilities I think you will need to add +PB to each individual skill and ability.

Thank you

nephranka
January 13th, 2022, 01:28
Am I correct that this does not automate summon spell creatures like Summon Fey?

MrDDT
January 13th, 2022, 02:15
Am I correct that this does not automate summon spell creatures like Summon Fey?

In what way you talking about automate?
You can drag the NPC on the cohort tab and then the DM can always pull those to the CT and the player who it came from cohort's tab would be able to control those NPCs.

MeAndUnique
January 13th, 2022, 05:21

You can also add a Trait with the following text to make it work for all of em, per Tasha's: "You can add your proficiency bonus to any ability check or saving throw that the beast makes."

Also, if you have the following in an attack: "your spell attack modifier to hit", you can add the following line (as its own line) to the text on the Other tab: "Actions: Replace the 'your spell attack modifier' with the Ranger's actual spell attack modifier and add the Ranger's proficiency bonus to the damage in Shred.".

Lastly, if also using Constitutional Amendments (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view) with "(see notes)" in the hit dice field, the following may be added to the text on the Other tab (each as their own text):
"Hit Dice: The Beast has a number of Hit Dice (d6's) equal to the Ranger's level"
"Hit Points: Hit points are 5 + 4 times the Ranger Level"

MeAndUnique
January 13th, 2022, 05:23

It will give the player control over the creature(s) if added as cohorts, but otherwise nothing else from summon spells is automated... yet ;)

Leprekorn
January 13th, 2022, 09:19
There is so much to learn with this and how it ties in to the MC supplement constitutional amendments and your other exts. Would you make a vid showing how to set them up to work together?

nephranka
January 13th, 2022, 10:38
It will give the player control over the creature(s) if added as cohorts, but otherwise nothing else from summon spells is automated... yet ;)

Thanks. Looking forward to the future :)

nephranka
January 13th, 2022, 10:40
In what way you talking about automate?
You can drag the NPC on the cohort tab and then the DM can always pull those to the CT and the player who it came from cohort's tab would be able to control those NPCs.

If summoned templates like summon fey were automated in the same way ranger beasts are automated. I already use the control nature of this ext. Now I was looking to see things like the to hit and damage bonus was being read and replaced for templates like summoned fey. I see now it is not.

MeAndUnique
January 15th, 2022, 18:33
Just released version 1.0.6 with a minor bug fix.

SteveStewart332
January 22nd, 2022, 00:21
Issue with friend zone tonight - wizard couldn't move his familiar, and rogue couldn't move his badger from his bag of tricks. Both players could open their NPC character sheet, make attacks and roll damage. The creatures were faction = friend. I am running a bunch of Rob2e stuff, Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Tweaks, and Kit'n'Kaboodle; I don't have any of SilentRuin's extensions, not using polymorphism either (i do have Critically Awesome essentials and one click druid running). FGU and all the extensions are updated, no error messages seen, the guys simply couldn't move the tokens. Any thoughts on what we might be doing wrong? Enjoying your work btw - kit'n'kaboodle is a particular favourite!

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2022, 09:06
Issue with friend zone tonight - wizard couldn't move his familiar, and rogue couldn't move his badger from his bag of tricks. Both players could open their NPC character sheet, make attacks and roll damage. The creatures were faction = friend. I am running a bunch of Rob2e stuff, Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Tweaks, and Kit'n'Kaboodle; I don't have any of SilentRuin's extensions, not using polymorphism either (i do have Critically Awesome essentials and one click druid running). FGU and all the extensions are updated, no error messages seen, the guys simply couldn't move the tokens. Any thoughts on what we might be doing wrong? Enjoying your work btw - kit'n'kaboodle is a particular favourite!

You'll need to switch off all other extensions and test to see if that fixes the issue. If it does it will be a conflict with another extension - so enable them one at a time until the problem comes back. Then you'll need to decide whether to continue using both or drop one that conflicts.

MrDDT
January 22nd, 2022, 15:25
You'll need to switch off all other extensions and test to see if that fixes the issue. If it does it will be a conflict with another extension - so enable them one at a time until the problem comes back. Then you'll need to decide whether to continue using both or drop one that conflicts.

Or fix the error yourself in the coding, or contact the ext makers and see if they can fix it.

I find that if you can limit down what exts are conflicting, you likely can contact one or both of ext makers and they can fix it pretty fast they are pretty awesome.

Valyar
February 2nd, 2022, 04:58
We hit a bug that prevents using this extension when there is adventure league based game:
When we try to remove adventure record from the ADVENTURE section in the Notes tab by clicking the iEdit button, the attached error is thrown. Remove via right-click works.

I recommend not to replace the Log tab, rather introduce new tab - Cohorts. This is much clean implementation and won't mess existing games.

DragonKnightAdam
February 4th, 2022, 17:19
can we have a pathfinder version as well?

ValerionWolf
February 7th, 2022, 05:32
I discovered this last night only and decided to play around with the extension. On my game I see three issues after disabling all other extensions:

- I added a Steel Defender from Tasha's to a Artificer 8 / Fighter 3 and got the following error, and none of the template variables gets replaced:

[2/7/2022 7:06:42 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_hp_fz.lua"]:79: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'nMod' (a nil value)

- When using this on an Undead Spirit (all three variants), the attack is listed as Your spell attack modifier to hit, which doesn't get replaced.

- The three Undead Spirits have wording in their attacks to the effect The creature must succeed on a DC Player's STAT saving throw or (the STAT being different for the three). This also doesn't get replaced.

Otherwise this is making my life a lot easier, so thanks for this. Will test it out on the weekend's game.

Leprekorn
February 7th, 2022, 07:14
Did you make a copy of the steel defender npc before adding? What about the undead spirits.
Then did you drag those copies to the cohort tab and then from the cohort tab to the combat tracker and then from the combat tracker to a map?

ValerionWolf
February 7th, 2022, 10:05
Did you make a copy of the steel defender npc before adding? What about the undead spirits.
Then did you drag those copies to the cohort tab and then from the cohort tab to the combat tracker and then from the combat tracker to a map?

This is the exact procedure I followed. I get the Steel Defender error as soon as I add it to the Cohort tab. The Undead Spirits I checked by opening the NPC sheet from the map token. Some of the values did get replaced in the spirits, but not all of them.

I also retried from scratch just now, to double check, and I get the same result

mattekure
February 12th, 2022, 02:54
Edit* sorry, posted in wrong thread
Looks like the option to skip the turn of dead/dying is being baked into the core ruleset.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72554-Beta-Release-2022-02-Ruleset-Updates&p=639596&viewfull=1#post639596

MeAndUnique
March 1st, 2022, 19:54
Hey everyone, sorry for the radio silence as of late. I've been super busy and haven't had much time for my FG pursuits.
There is a small release in v1.0.7 which includes a bug fix for cohort abilities that result in a damage-adding effect as well as support for ringing the bell for the player on a cohort's turn.

MisterNexx
March 2nd, 2022, 09:13
Hello!
I found a weird interaction with Silent Ruin's - Death Indicators (Extended) FGU (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/8/view).
While having both this extensions loaded, the NPC's in Cohorts tab will not be able to have a token. Whenever I add a token to that NPC, it will disappear once I close the NPC Sheet.

Edited: My bad, I have mistaken the conflicts with the wrong extension.

Leprekorn
March 2nd, 2022, 09:15
Not seeing this issue and I run both.

BushViper
March 2nd, 2022, 12:51
Hello!
I found a weird interaction with Silent Ruin's - Death Indicators (Extended) FGU (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/8/view).
While having both this extensions loaded, the NPC's in Cohorts tab will not be able to have a token. Whenever I add a token to that NPC, it will disappear once I close the NPC Sheet.

Edited: My bad, I have mistaken the conflicts with the wrong extension.

I discovered that issue months ago, but Silentruin has shown no interest in addressing the conflict. MeAndUnique is also aware of the issue, but it doesn't seem to be something he can fix on his end of things.

I used Death Indicators for a long time but ultimately dropped it because it causes so many problems. I replaced it with 5e indicators and wish I had made the change much sooner.

Leprekorn
March 2nd, 2022, 13:09
Ah you originally said portals sorry don't use death indicators

Leprekorn
March 9th, 2022, 13:11
Hey is there anyway to code Superior Ferocity "Also at 2nd level, whenever your companion uses a ferocity action that requires a creature to make an ability check or saving throw, the companion can use your primal exploit save DC in place of the normal DC." from MCDM's Monstrous Companions with this?

MeAndUnique
March 14th, 2022, 23:53
Hey is there anyway to code Superior Ferocity "Also at 2nd level, whenever your companion uses a ferocity action that requires a creature to make an ability check or saving throw, the companion can use your primal exploit save DC in place of the normal DC." from MCDM's Monstrous Companions with this?

An update to the Beastheart module has been submitted in which the text is adjusted to properly indicate using the primal exploit DC, instead of the shorthand of simply exploit DC, which allows Friend Zone to properly search the Beastheart's character sheet for a Primal Exploit power group to use.

MeAndUnique
March 15th, 2022, 00:48
This is the exact procedure I followed. I get the Steel Defender error as soon as I add it to the Cohort tab. The Undead Spirits I checked by opening the NPC sheet from the map token. Some of the values did get replaced in the spirits, but not all of them.

I also retried from scratch just now, to double check, and I get the same result

Finally have time to tackle this, sorry for the delay!

MeAndUnique
March 15th, 2022, 00:51
We hit a bug that prevents using this extension when there is adventure league based game:
When we try to remove adventure record from the ADVENTURE section in the Notes tab by clicking the iEdit button, the attached error is thrown. Remove via right-click works.

I recommend not to replace the Log tab, rather introduce new tab - Cohorts. This is much clean implementation and won't mess existing games.

In principle I totally agree, however screen real estate is precious to some of my players and there isn't room for another tab without making the sheet take up more space, so I opted to reorganize a tab that is unused in 90% of play. I'll certainly look at getting that error resolved though!

Leprekorn
March 15th, 2022, 08:15
Great thanks

Lo Zeno
March 16th, 2022, 20:44
I don't know if it's been reported in the previous pages, I gave a cursory glance but couldn't find it:

It's just a minor thing, the "cohorts" text on the tab does not respect the theme's font color, for example if you use a dark theme the text remains black instead of using the same color as the other tabs:

Love the extension btw, all my players have some manner of familiar/animal companion/homunculus servant/ and this made it so much more convenient for them to manage their cohorts

MeAndUnique
March 17th, 2022, 05:16
I don't know if it's been reported in the previous pages, I gave a cursory glance but couldn't find it:

It's just a minor thing, the "cohorts" text on the tab does not respect the theme's font color, for example if you use a dark theme the text remains black instead of using the same color as the other tabs:

Love the extension btw, all my players have some manner of familiar/animal companion/homunculus servant/ and this made it so much more convenient for them to manage their cohorts

Unfortunately, FG doesn't actually support nonstandard text orientation, so those tabs all use pre-rendered images of the text instead, which makes accounting for themes incredibly difficult. I do have a potential idea for a compromise though, which I'll look at as soon as I get some breaking errors fixed in other extensions.

MeAndUnique
March 17th, 2022, 23:47
Version 1.1.0 is live with support for the Artificer's Steel Defender and a fix for the Adventure log error.

Regarding the compatibility of the Cohorts tab text with themes, unfortunately the tab control does not expose any functionality necessary for theme compatibility, and so my initial idea for a compromise has not yielded any fruit. However, Sir Motte's Magnificent Darkness theme, freely available on The Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/12/view), does have extensive support built in for numerous extensions including this one and is highly recommended.

Lo Zeno
March 18th, 2022, 00:04
Version 1.1.0 is live with support for the Artificer's Steel Defender and a fix for the Adventure log error.

I just updated the extension, and since one of my players indeed has an Artificer with a Steel Defender, I tried making use of this new feature, but when I drag the Steel Defender template into the Cohorts tab I get the following error:

MeAndUnique
March 18th, 2022, 04:58
I just updated the extension, and since one of my players indeed has an Artificer with a Steel Defender, I tried making use of this new feature, but when I drag the Steel Defender template into the Cohorts tab I get the following error:

Hmmm, perhaps something went awry in the deployment process, since the reported line of code is not capable of generating that error (it is empty), and I am able to successfully use the Steel Defender in a fresh campaign on my end without only Friend Zone loaded without issue. Can you confirm whether or not it says v1.1.0 in the announcement message in the chat window when first launching the campaign?

Lo Zeno
March 18th, 2022, 08:55
It does not:
It says version 1.0.7.

I have tried deleting the extension from the extensions folder and then re-launching the update to download it again, and it still says 1.0.7

humby
March 18th, 2022, 09:12
Can you confirm whether or not it says v1.1.0 in the announcement message in the chat window when first launching the campaign?

It's still reporting the version as 1.0.7 for me as well, also tried deleting the local copy and then re-downloading it.

Regarding the error that Lo Zeno posted, I get the same one when adding the Steel Defender, and also when adding the Eldritch and Explosive Cannons. Spent some time poking it and if I remove the line in the notes that reads "Hit Points: Equals five times the caster's artificer level" then I no longer get the error.

MeAndUnique
March 18th, 2022, 15:35
I redeployed version 1.1.0, so everything ought to be working correctly now.

humby
March 18th, 2022, 18:26
I redeployed version 1.1.0, so everything ought to be working correctly now.

Just tested and happy to confirm that I can add all three of those without any errors now. I did notice, however, that whilst the Steel Defender's hp was correctly calculated based on the character's stats, the hp for the two cannons was not - they remained stuck at 4hp regardless, probably because the Hit Points line is different on the cannons compared to the other templates:

Hit Points: Equals five times the caster's Artificer level

MeAndUnique
March 30th, 2022, 17:28
Hey folks, just released v1.1.1 with added support for calculating the hit points of Eldritch Cannon cohorts as well as resolving a (rather embarrassing) conflict with Constitutional Amendments.

MrDDT
March 30th, 2022, 19:57
Hey folks, just released v1.1.1 with added support for calculating the hit points of Eldritch Cannon cohorts as well as resolving a (rather embarrassing) conflict with Constitutional Amendments.

Trying to update this from the forge and its not giving me the v1.1.1 version still getting the v1.1.0.

MeAndUnique
March 30th, 2022, 20:09
Trying to update this from the forge and its not giving me the v1.1.1 version still getting the v1.1.0.

Sorry about that, seems like something went amiss when selecting the Live build. Should be good to go now.

MassSailor
April 4th, 2022, 05:06
Hi, I have v1.1.1 loaded and I noticed player proficiency bonus being added to the armor class of all NPCs dragged from the Cohorts tab. It doesn't seem to matter whether the +PB modifier is included or whether the NPC has the Primal Bond trait. It also happens whether the NPC was created from one of Tasha's primal beast templates or a vanilla NPC. Also get the same result whether the character is a Beast Master Ranger or another class (Barbarian is what I tested with). NPCs added directly to the CT or through encounters do not get the extra AC modifier - just seems to happen when they come from the Cohorts tab.

On the attached I would expect the Bird (created from Bestial Spirit Air Template) to have the player's PB added to AC but not to the Shark (created from a modified Reef Shark NPC). In both cases the AC is getting the player's PB applied. My player's won't complain but most of their minions are less squishy then they should be.

MeAndUnique
April 4th, 2022, 20:24
Hi, I have v1.1.1 loaded and I noticed player proficiency bonus being added to the armor class of all NPCs dragged from the Cohorts tab. It doesn't seem to matter whether the +PB modifier is included or whether the NPC has the Primal Bond trait. It also happens whether the NPC was created from one of Tasha's primal beast templates or a vanilla NPC. Also get the same result whether the character is a Beast Master Ranger or another class (Barbarian is what I tested with). NPCs added directly to the CT or through encounters do not get the extra AC modifier - just seems to happen when they come from the Cohorts tab.

On the attached I would expect the Bird (created from Bestial Spirit Air Template) to have the player's PB added to AC but not to the Shark (created from a modified Reef Shark NPC). In both cases the AC is getting the player's PB applied. My player's won't complain but most of their minions are less squishy then they should be.

Should be working properly now in v1.1.2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

MassSailor
April 7th, 2022, 20:04
Should be working properly now in v1.1.2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the quick turnaround - I tested it out and looks good!

TomtheBu
April 24th, 2022, 11:35
Thank you for this great extension. I would like to use it for the new A5E (level up) ruleset as well, but it collides with the official extension which comes along with the Adventurerīs Guide module. When the Friend Zone extension is loaded, itīs no longer possible to roll skill rolls from NPC Sheets without this error throwing up:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_skill_A5E.lua"]:24: bad argument #1 to 'ipairs' (table expected, got nil)

thanks in advance:)

Leprekorn
April 24th, 2022, 12:56
Looks like that error originates from Advanced 5e have you suggested they change their extension?

TomtheBu
April 24th, 2022, 13:40
I mentioned it in the A5E Thread somehow but now I asked for adjustment, if possible.

MeAndUnique
April 24th, 2022, 17:20
Unfortunately, as it stand my hands are quite tied since the A5E extension is not accessible for me to investigate directly. Which is sadly the only reason I haven't purchased the module(s) myself, since extensibility is a core requirement for my personal FG needs.

I have however inquired as to whether the developer would be interested in making the extension code available in a similar manner to how the Kingdoms & Warfare module is set up: with everything installed in the vault to protect the copyright material, and also makes the extension code freely available on GitHub. They indicated that they have no opposition, provided Smiteworks is accepting of such, though otherwise I have not heard about any progress on that front.

Lastly, if nothing is to be done about making the A5E extension code available for me to participate in investigating the issue, I am more than willing to take direction on the matter, assuming an equitable solution can be identified.

TomtheBu
April 25th, 2022, 10:15
Thank you very much for this elaborate answer. Now I can see where the problem lies in a whole.

But the good news for the Friend Zone Extension is, that leozelig the author of the official A5E extension, (most likely) fixed the issue and the update will be hopefully live on the 3rd of May.

PS thank you again for this great extension :)

Roach
May 2nd, 2022, 09:41
I just did my first attempt to use the "Cohorts" tab. As DM, I added an Imp NPC to a player's Cohorts (as a Familiar), renamed the familiar, added it to the CT and tried going through the options. The sting/bite attack worked fine - including the damage -, but when I in the player instance then try to drop the saving throw on a target, as soon as I start dragging it, I get an error: "[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_combat2.lua"]:411: attempt to index local 'sLine' (a nil value)".
What can I do?

MeAndUnique
May 2nd, 2022, 17:56
I just did my first attempt to use the "Cohorts" tab. As DM, I added an Imp NPC to a player's Cohorts (as a Familiar), renamed the familiar, added it to the CT and tried going through the options. The sting/bite attack worked fine - including the damage -, but when I in the player instance then try to drop the saving throw on a target, as soon as I start dragging it, I get an error: "[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_combat2.lua"]:411: attempt to index local 'sLine' (a nil value)".
What can I do?

What other extensions are you using, if any? And did the imp come from the Monster Manual, SRD, or some other source (just to verify the exact wording)?

ProStashio-Pending-deletion
May 14th, 2022, 21:15
Deleted

FGUDM
May 20th, 2022, 20:39
Ran into a pretty minor issue when using this with Advanced Effects and Kit'N'Kaboodle.
When equipping a cohort with an item with an effect feature on it, the item's effect won't be added to the cohort's effect list in the combat tracker

MeAndUnique
May 21st, 2022, 04:58
Ran into a pretty minor issue when using this with Advanced Effects and Kit'N'Kaboodle.
When equipping a cohort with an item with an effect feature on it, the item's effect won't be added to the cohort's effect list in the combat tracker

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look and see what I can do.

MeAndUnique
May 21st, 2022, 21:25
A number of users have requested to be able to toss a coin my way so I have created a page for them to do so and added a link to the first post. Please feel no obligation to do so though!

Leprekorn
May 21st, 2022, 21:30
Great idea

mattekure
June 12th, 2022, 03:21
Could you add a button to the cohort NPCs sheet that allows the player who owns it to roll for the cohorts initiative?

MeAndUnique
June 12th, 2022, 16:32
Could you add a button to the cohort NPCs sheet that allows the player who owns it to roll for the cohorts initiative?

Certainly something I can look into, yeah.

R0b0to
June 12th, 2022, 20:13
Hey, i was informed that his extension lets you link certain stats of the companion to the stats of the player, how can you do that. I cant really seem to find a manual. :/

Leprekorn
June 12th, 2022, 20:34
What are you trying to link

MeAndUnique
June 12th, 2022, 22:34
Hey, i was informed that his extension lets you link certain stats of the companion to the stats of the player, how can you do that. I cant really seem to find a manual. :/

As Leprekorn requested, knowing which things you wish to link would help. Friend Zone's support for such things is based on the wording used in WotC sources, such as the Wildfire Spirit or Steel Defender in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, as well as MCDM's Beastheart and Monstrous Companions supplement. So for any of those simply dragging and dropping will ensure that everything is linked accordingly. However, none of those provide exact rules or follow fully consistent language (even just among the WotC content), so its hard to give a general response for writing your own homebrew, other than to suggest starting with something existing and adjusting from there.

R0b0to
June 13th, 2022, 05:06
Thats what i mean, i try to put the same kind of wording but it is still giving me 0 hp when i put it on the combat tracker. Do you have a guide or something?

Leprekorn
June 13th, 2022, 06:37
Which exactly are you trying to link?

R0b0to
June 13th, 2022, 16:59
Im just trying to make it so the Hp of the companion is equal to half of the user's max hp

R0b0to
June 13th, 2022, 17:00
also, if its posible, that the companion has the same ac as the character

MeAndUnique
June 13th, 2022, 17:29
Thats what i mean, i try to put the same kind of wording but it is still giving me 0 hp when i put it on the combat tracker. Do you have a guide or something?

Sorry, unfortunately I don't have anything comprehensive at present.

MeAndUnique
June 13th, 2022, 17:37
Im just trying to make it so the Hp of the companion is equal to half of the user's max hp

also, if its posible, that the companion has the same ac as the character

Unfortunately neither of these behaviors are similar to any of the supported published options and so are not directly possible.

For the hit points you might be able to fake it with a formula that achieves the same result. Put "(see notes)" in the text field next to hit points on the Main tab, and on the other tab include a line like "Hit Points: This companion should have hp equal to X + Y times the caregiver's level." where X and Y are numbers that would cause the end result to be half of the character in question. Probably easier to just have the player update it manually though.

R0b0to
June 15th, 2022, 00:41
Is there a way for a PC to put their companions in the combat tracker themselfs?

MeAndUnique
June 15th, 2022, 09:42
Is there a way for a PC to put their companions in the combat tracker themselfs?

That ought to be functioning in the same manner as the player's ability to add their own character to the CT, so I don't believe so.

MeAndUnique
June 20th, 2022, 23:17

Give Temporal Fixation (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/692/view) a peek :)

mattekure
June 20th, 2022, 23:25
Give Temporal Fixation (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/692/view) a peek :)

awesome, thanks!

GEONE
June 24th, 2022, 18:43
Hello! I love this extension, but the font on the new tab really bothers me. I assume you had trouble matching the font of the other tabs so you just used the closest match you could find.

I created a pull request on the github that updates the tab text graphic to use the same font as the other tabs.

https://i.imgur.com/GVGo8RF.png

https://github.com/MeAndUnique/FriendZone/pull/1

MeAndUnique
June 27th, 2022, 11:34
Hello! I love this extension, but the font on the new tab really bothers me. I assume you had trouble matching the font of the other tabs so you just used the closest match you could find.

I created a pull request on the github that updates the tab text graphic to use the same font as the other tabs.

Thank you very much for providing this; yeah, spent more time than I'd care to admit trying to get it where it was. Version 1.1.3 is live with the new tab graphic.

mccartysr
June 27th, 2022, 15:53

What is the font? I've been looking at adding a tab, but haven't because of the matching font issue.

GEONE
June 27th, 2022, 16:09
I still don't know honestly. I just used the existing tabs' graphics and cut each letter from those. 'C' & 'o' from Combat, 'h' & 'r' from Other, 't' & 's' from Notes.

JustinFreitas
June 27th, 2022, 17:20
I still don't know honestly. I just used the existing tabs' graphics and cut each letter from those. 'C' & 'o' from Combat, 'h' & 'r' from Other, 't' & 's' from Notes.

Clever! It looks great. Nice job!

anathemort
June 27th, 2022, 17:52
I think the font is Lucida Casual, or close enough to look good :)

https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Lucida-Casual-Regular

GEONE
June 27th, 2022, 18:02
According to Damned the font is Poor Richard, but that just doesn't look quite right.

Lucida Casual is very close but also not an exact match. The 'w' 'a' 'l' 'S' 'P' and 'X' aren't the same. It's certainly close enough that most people won't notice a difference though

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52789-Tab-Font

https://i.imgur.com/ZWNEOEE.png

https://i.imgur.com/EHp5m0e.png
(original beside upscaled)

R0b0to
July 13th, 2022, 03:49
Hey, im having a problem where if I put a cohort on the combat tracker it is not automaticaly a friend

MeAndUnique
July 13th, 2022, 09:36
Just pushed the test builds to live, so everything should be good to go. If there are any further issues I'll tackle them as soon as I get back from vacation

Snakebitten
July 27th, 2022, 18:44
Hallo,

it might just be me but i have been having some issues where if i put a portrait and token on a cohort it doesn't remember it for the next time.

MeAndUnique
July 29th, 2022, 15:30
Hallo,

it might just be me but i have been having some issues where if i put a portrait and token on a cohort it doesn't remember it for the next time.

I assume you're using Death Indicators? If so this is a known problem that the author of Death Indicators has deemed not worth the effort to resolve. I recommend CoreRPG Wound Overlay (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/288/view) as an alternative for the indication portion and Constitutional Amendments (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view) for managing death saves on NPCs.

jfg1984
July 29th, 2022, 16:47
I assume you're using Death Indicators? If so this is a known problem that the author of Death Indicators has deemed not worth the effort to resolve. I recommend CoreRPG Wound Overlay (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/288/view) as an alternative for the indication portion and Constitutional Amendments (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view) for managing death saves on NPCs.

Is this an issue that happens with 5E - Indicators by Mattekure?

MeAndUnique
July 29th, 2022, 17:07

So far as I am aware that one works just fine with Friend Zone.

mattekure
July 29th, 2022, 17:19

not that I've heard of. I use Friend Zone in my games, so something like that should have showed up in my weekly testing.

rhagelstrom
July 29th, 2022, 17:29

I use both of these and haven't seen an issue

jfg1984
July 29th, 2022, 18:35
I use both of these and haven't seen an issue

Great to hear! I was worried that was the extension he meant. Seemed odd as Mattekure is pretty responsive to bugs.

Elewyth
August 3rd, 2022, 17:24
Hello

I am really enjoying the extension. Today I tried to add a Steel Defender for an Artificer, and it seems to mostly work. However, specifically perception should add twice the Artificer's proficiency bonus. The text in the Tasha's Template is "Perception +0 +PBx2", however it seems to only add 1x the proficiency bonus. I also tried something like "Perception +0 +PB +PB", but it just ignores the second "+PB". Is this supposed to work? :)

Edit: It seems that the Steel Defender's attack roll is also not calculated properly. The text says "Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit", which then just rolls a d20 without any modifiers (added to a lvl 3 Artificer character).

Cheers!
Elewyth

MeAndUnique
August 4th, 2022, 17:14
Hello

I am really enjoying the extension. Today I tried to add a Steel Defender for an Artificer, and it seems to mostly work. However, specifically perception should add twice the Artificer's proficiency bonus. The text in the Tasha's Template is "Perception +0 +PBx2", however it seems to only add 1x the proficiency bonus. I also tried something like "Perception +0 +PB +PB", but it just ignores the second "+PB". Is this supposed to work? :)

Edit: It seems that the Steel Defender's attack roll is also not calculated properly. The text says "Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit", which then just rolls a d20 without any modifiers (added to a lvl 3 Artificer character).

Cheers!
Elewyth

The perception aspect is simple oversight on my part, apologies.

The attack aspect seems to have broken down at some point; I'll take a look and get it fixed.

AmishCyborg
August 8th, 2022, 05:25
I'm on the fgu test server since they added vehicles, do you plan to allow vehicles to be added to the cohort tab?

MeAndUnique
August 8th, 2022, 14:14
I'm on the fgu test server since they added vehicles, do you plan to allow vehicles to be added to the cohort tab?

Yes that is the plan, though it might not be ready as a day 1 feature since it is quite a bit more difficult when considering how to handle multiple players on the same vehicle and I'll be prioritizing making sure base functionality works across the board for all of my extensions with the TEST server changes first.

AmishCyborg
August 8th, 2022, 22:03
Great! Feels unfair to get the new functionality for free, so I'll tip when you drop the update. Appreciate it!

meadegendar
August 9th, 2022, 13:40
I find this extension very useful and love the ease of controlling NPC's for companions. However, I also find it very difficult to use for things like Beast Master pets and sidekicks. Trying to grasp modifying stat blocks based on how beast master works when leveling, as well as sidekicks (Tasha's ruling). For the last two, it seems easier to just create PC's for those to better manage them. Is there a better way to use FZ for the two situations, or maybe creating the PC's for those situations and add them to FZ? Thanks

MeAndUnique
August 13th, 2022, 22:02
I find this extension very useful and love the ease of controlling NPC's for companions. However, I also find it very difficult to use for things like Beast Master pets and sidekicks. Trying to grasp modifying stat blocks based on how beast master works when leveling, as well as sidekicks (Tasha's ruling). For the last two, it seems easier to just create PC's for those to better manage them. Is there a better way to use FZ for the two situations, or maybe creating the PC's for those situations and add them to FZ? Thanks

Regarding the Sidekicks: they are indeed already structured as PC classes in the module. Since players can select and run multiple PCs fully already in the base ruleset there really isn't anything for Friend Zone to do.

For the Beast Master: everything should work via drag and drop if starting with one of the Template creatures from The Tasha's Cauldron of Everything module. However, since regular CR 1/4 creatures weren't built with the intent of being used as scalable companions the creature would require editing to make the various fields automate, largely through the addition of a "+PB". For example placing "+PB" in front of the "(natural armor)" text. The most complicated is probably the hit points field, for which you want to replace the text value with "(see notes)" and then add the following text on a new line on the "Other" tab: "Hit Points: Hit points are 4 times the Ranger Level."

meadegendar
August 14th, 2022, 16:33
Ok, thanks for the response. That should be easy enough to figure out next time when our ranger finds another pet (his previous died in a cave-in during our last session).

MeAndUnique
August 20th, 2022, 16:05
Just released version 1.2.0 with vehicle support as well as some general fixes for parsing cohort powers depending on their commander's abilities. Additionally, support has been added for version tracking with Power Up (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/726/view) moving forward.

GEONE
August 21st, 2022, 04:25
I am getting an error with the new version when adding an NPC to the combat tracker

https://i.imgur.com/FmlefZj.png

Edit: It seems to be a conflict with another extension that is using the legacy addNPC(). Would you be able to add a nil check to CombatManager.getCustomAddNPC before calling onNPCPostAddOriginal() for maximum compatibility?

MeAndUnique
August 21st, 2022, 20:13
I am getting an error with the new version when adding an NPC to the combat tracker

https://i.imgur.com/FmlefZj.png

Edit: It seems to be a conflict with another extension that is using the legacy addNPC(). Would you be able to add a nil check before calling onNPCPostAddOriginal() for maximum compatibility?

I'd certainly be willing to discuss with the author of the other extension if you know which extensions is conflicting and see if there is a solution. In general though, if onNPCPostAddOriginal is nil it means that another extension has been actively deleting built-in ruleset functionality, and that is not something that I will be able to blindly account for in a generic manner. So while I may be able to suppress the error with a nil check, I cannot actually recover from the situation. So things would still almost certainly be in a broken/unpredictable state and I am of a very strong opinion that silent failures are much worse than reported ones.

GEONE
August 21st, 2022, 21:27
I'd certainly be willing to discuss with the author of the other extension if you know which extensions is conflicting and see if there is a solution. In general though, if onNPCPostAddOriginal is nil it means that another extension has been actively deleting built-in ruleset functionality, and that is not something that I will be able to blindly account for in a generic manner. So while I may be able to suppress the error with a nil check, I cannot actually recover from the situation. So things would still almost certainly be in a broken/unpredictable state and I am of a very strong opinion that silent failures are much worse than reported ones.

If an extension overrides or extends the legacy CombatManager2.addNPC() function using CombatManager.setCustomAddNPC(), then CombatRecordManager.getRecordTypePostAddCallback("npc") will return the base 5e version of the function.
There is a switch of sorts in CombatRecordManager.addNPC() that ensures if there is a legacy override, then it will not use the standard handling. This is not removing built-in functionality, this is how it worked prior to the 2022-07 update and any extension older than that date that modifies the 5e combat manager's npc add handling will cause getRecordTypePostAddCallback("npc") to return the unmodified function, which is not good for legacy compatibility.

The best thing to do here would be to check if CombatManager.getCustomAddNPC() is not nil and use that, and if it is nil then use getRecordTypePostAddCallback("npc")/onNPCPostAddOriginal instead. This is how CombatRecordManager.addNPC() handles this exact predicament

MeAndUnique
August 22nd, 2022, 19:28
If an extension overrides or extends the legacy CombatManager2.addNPC() function using CombatManager.setCustomAddNPC(), then CombatRecordManager.getRecordTypePostAddCallback("npc") will return nil.
There is a switch of sorts in CombatRecordManager.addNPC() that ensures if there is a legacy override, then it will not use the standard handling. This is not removing built-in functionality, this is how it worked prior to the 2022-07 update and any extension older than that date that modifies the 5e combat manager's npc add handling will cause getRecordTypePostAddCallback("npc") to either return nil or the unmodified function, both of which are not good for legacy compatibility.

The best thing to do here would be to check if CombatManager.getCustomAddNPC() is not nil and use that, and if it is nil then use getRecordTypePostAddCallback("npc")/onNPCPostAddOriginal instead. This is how CombatRecordManager.addNPC() handles this exact predicament

In CoreRPG there are exactly 5 uses of CombatRecordManager's _tRecordTypePostAddCallbacks, none of which clear entries. In 5E, CombatManager2's onInit() calls setRecordTypePostAddCallback(). This basically means that unless an extension is either setting the callback to nil or deleting the code that manages the callbacks there is no way for getRecordTypePostAddCallback() to return nil.

On the legacy compatibility front, the expected behavior would be that Friend Zone would not have its logic invoked in the first place if another extension is causing the legacy code paths to be invoked. And to be honest, the legacy extension is running on borrowed time as is; the old flow is being officially deprecated and so will eventually no longer be functional.

GEONE
August 22nd, 2022, 19:59
In CoreRPG there are exactly 5 uses of CombatRecordManager's _tRecordTypePostAddCallbacks, none of which clear entries. In 5E, CombatManager2's onInit() calls setRecordTypePostAddCallback(). This basically means that unless an extension is either setting the callback to nil or deleting the code that manages the callbacks there is no way for getRecordTypePostAddCallback() to return nil.

On the legacy compatibility front, the expected behavior would be that Friend Zone would not have its logic invoked in the first place if another extension is causing the legacy code paths to be invoked. And to be honest, the legacy extension is running on borrowed time as is; the old flow is being officially deprecated and so will eventually no longer be functional.

You're correct that getRecordTypePostAddCallback() should not return nil, but it does return only other functions which have been registered using the new handling, which means this extension will override the behaviour to npc adding that any other extension may make using the legacy handling. Surely it is worth it to add a small check to make it more compatible with older extensions? Yes legacy extensions will eventually be so deprecated that they cease to function, but I do not believe that means we should refuse to support them, especially when in this case it would be a very minor change to keep compatibility.

I don't see why FZ's logic wouldn't be invoked in the first place if the legacy setCustomAddNPC is used? The only use FZ has of onNPCPostAddOriginal is in its own onNPCPostAdd function, which is where this issue is arising, and where an if-else can be added to use getCustomAddNPC instead if it exists.

MeAndUnique
August 22nd, 2022, 20:24
In 5E, CombatManager2's onInit() calls setRecordTypePostAddCallback().

This is the essential piece. Everything else comes back to this ground truth.

Every extension built for 5E should be able to safely depend on the callback existing because it is unconditionally provided by the ruleset itself. If the callback does not exists, it invariably means that there has been a fundamental alteration to the entire system for adding combatants in 5E.

I am happy to work with the developer to identify specific solutions for specific situations. However, I am not willing to silence the error that is rightfully signaling that there is significant misalignment.

GEONE
August 22nd, 2022, 20:34
This is the essential piece. Everything else comes back to this ground truth.

Every extension built for 5E should be able to safely depend on the callback existing because it is unconditionally provided by the ruleset itself. If the callback does not exists, it invariably means that there has been a fundamental alteration to the entire system for adding combatants in 5E.

I am happy to work with the developer to identify specific solutions for specific situations. However, I am not willing to silence the error that is rightfully signaling that there is significant misalignment.

I think there may be a miscommunication. There is not an error that is being silenced. The FriendZone extension is using the newer callback. If an old extension modifies the npc adding behaviour using the built-in setCustomAddNPC() function, then FriendZone will completely bypass this modification. This can be fixed by having FriendZone check to see if an extension has overridden the npc adding behaviour using setCustomAddNPC() and use that instead of the new callback.

MeAndUnique
August 22nd, 2022, 20:42
In 5E, CombatManager2's onInit() calls setRecordTypePostAddCallback().

Sorry, I really do need to stick on this point. The ruleset itself provides the callback, even if not a single extension is loaded. The callback is not nil with the ruleset and the ruleset alone.

GEONE
August 22nd, 2022, 20:47
I think you may have missed a message in our conversation :confused:

You're correct that getRecordTypePostAddCallback() should not return nil, but it does return only other functions which have been registered using the new handling, which means this extension will override the behaviour to npc adding that any other extension may make using the legacy handling. Surely it is worth it to add a small check to make it more compatible with older extensions? Yes legacy extensions will eventually be so deprecated that they cease to function, but I do not believe that means we should refuse to support them, especially when in this case it would be a very minor change to keep compatibility.

I don't see why FZ's logic wouldn't be invoked in the first place if the legacy setCustomAddNPC is used? The only use FZ has of onNPCPostAddOriginal is in its own onNPCPostAdd function, which is where this issue is arising, and where an if-else can be added to use getCustomAddNPC instead if it exists.

MeAndUnique
August 22nd, 2022, 20:54
As I understand, the request is to check onNPCPostAddOriginal for nil. Correct?

GEONE
August 22nd, 2022, 21:02
As I understand, the request is to check onNPCPostAddOriginal for nil. Correct?

The request is to check if getCustomAddNPC is nil. And if it is not nil, then use getCustomAddNPC instead of getRecordTypePostAddCallback("npc")

GEONE
August 22nd, 2022, 21:17
Ok I feel really dumb because apparently CombatRecordManager.addStandardCombatRecordTypes() already solves this by adding the legacy CustomAddNPC to the callback list when it's called from onInit.

I'm really sorry for wasting your time here. You can safely ignore everything I said. I'm not sure what caused the initial error that I traced back to this, but whatever it was caused me to misinterpret how setCustomAddNPC relates to the callback list; I assumed they were separate systems for handling the same thing, and they are, but the FG devs already thought of this and ensured CustomAddNPC functions are added into the callback list already.

MeAndUnique
August 22nd, 2022, 21:31
Ok I feel really dumb because apparently CombatRecordManager.addStandardCombatRecordTypes() already solves this by adding the legacy CustomAddNPC to the callback list when it's called from onInit.

I'm really sorry for wasting your time here. You can safely ignore everything I said. I'm not sure what caused the initial error that I traced back to this, but whatever it was caused me to misinterpret how setCustomAddNPC relates to the callback list; I assumed they were separate systems for handling the same thing, and they are, but the FG devs already thought of this and ensured CustomAddNPC functions are added into the callback list already.

No worries at all. I'm glad you've found a way forward :)

Lo Zeno
August 26th, 2022, 23:11
Hi,

I started seeing an error today from this extension, I was adding the Aberrant Spirit Beholderkin to the cohort tab of the Warlock in my party (he got the Summon Aberration spell from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything), and the following error popped up:

[8/26/2022 11:06:28 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_hp_fz.lua"]:62: attempt to index local 'sClass' (a nil value)
[8/26/2022 11:06:59 PM] s'CombatManager.addNPCHelper - DEPRECATED - 2022-08-16 - Use CombatRecordManager.setRecordTypePostAddCallback/setRecordTypeCallback("npc", fn).'
[8/26/2022 11:08:19 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_hp_fz.lua"]:62: attempt to index local 'sClass' (a nil value)

MeAndUnique
August 28th, 2022, 16:40
Sorry for the inconvenience, I'll get that fixed ASAP. The Tasha's Summons still won't fully automate all of the variable stats yet, though the error certainly shouldn't be occurring.

MeAndUnique
August 30th, 2022, 16:56
Just released version 1.2.1 with a fix for the error that pops up for Tasha's summoned creature being added as cohorts.

Lo Zeno
September 8th, 2022, 17:58
Looks like "Friend Zone" is incompatible with the new party formation feature of FGU: more details (and a zipped up campaign to reproduce the error) in this thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?75074-Error-when-using-the-new-party-formation-screen

Zacchaeus
September 8th, 2022, 18:50
Looks like "Friend Zone" is incompatible with the new party formation feature of FGU: more details (and a zipped up campaign to reproduce the error) in this thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?75074-Error-when-using-the-new-party-formation-screen

See my post in the thread you linked.

ErikDWick
September 11th, 2022, 00:33
Hey all,
How do you add a token to the cohort entry? I go in and add a token for the summoned creature but the next time I look the token "slot" is empty. What am I missing?
Thanks in advance!

MeAndUnique
September 11th, 2022, 04:25
Hey all,
How do you add a token to the cohort entry? I go in and add a token for the summoned creature but the next time I look the token "slot" is empty. What am I missing?
Thanks in advance!

At a guess you have the Death Indicators extension which heavily reworks the NPC token system and breaks tokens for cohorts. Unfortunately, the author of that extension has deemed it not worth the effort to fix. As an alternative I recommend the excellent Wound Overlay (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/288/view) extension, which provides as much if not more functionality for token indication, in conjunction with my own Constitutional Amendments (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view), which provides all of the extra NPC fields and more besides.

ErikDWick
September 12th, 2022, 02:17
At a guess you have the Death Indicators extension which heavily reworks the NPC token system and breaks tokens for cohorts. Unfortunately, the author of that extension has deemed it not worth the effort to fix. As an alternative I recommend the excellent Wound Overlay (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/288/view) extension, which provides as much if not more functionality for token indication, in conjunction with my own Constitutional Amendments (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view), which provides all of the extra NPC fields and more besides.

Thanks! That was indeed the issue. Switched over to the two mods you mentioned and have them up and working no issue!

Findsthelost
September 21st, 2022, 19:25
Hey All just loaded and love idea of this. I'm wondering two things How do I as player with familiar move the Token? It doesn't seem to work for me. Also is there away other than give Party Visibility to allow me when using mental link to my familiar to see what it does with out showing whole party?
I take it that best option is to create PC for Familiar for them to run. Wasn't sure if plans to fix this option
Thanks!

Leprekorn
September 21st, 2022, 21:41
Ok have you added the familiar to the cohort sheet on the players character sheet. Then dragged the familiar from the players cohort sheet to the CT and from the CT to the map. Once that is done then the player should just be able to click on familiars token and move it etc.

MeAndUnique
December 31st, 2022, 15:53
Just released version 1.2.2 with some minor extension compatibility improvements.

micael
February 22nd, 2023, 15:35
Hi, can you please install help for drake companions from Ranger drakewarden subclass from Fizbans treasury of dragons? Its a pain to do this manually?
Would be very happy.
Thanks
Micael

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2023, 15:58
Hi, can you please install help for drake companions from Ranger drakewarden subclass from Fizbans treasury of dragons? Its a pain to do this manually?
Would be very happy.
Thanks
Micael

I think there are too many variables for this to work automatically. The biggest hurdle is that you need to choose a damage type. And you can choose that type whenever you summon in the companion. So you would need 5 different companions set up; one for each damage type. You then have to work out all the other changes that are needed throughout the sheet. I suggested this extension because it will allow you as the player to edit the companion thus taking the burden of doing so away from your DM. There's full instructions in the notes tab of the template which should easily allow you to do that editing.

micael
February 22nd, 2023, 18:43
Thanks, but what about let the HP, AC, Saves and to hit, damage be lvl dependent as in Primal Companions or Steel defender, because its just a formular or PB dependent? The Drake could be created one for every element type and afterwards most will be automatic. For effects there are already robs mods in use?
Thanks
Micael

MeAndUnique
February 22nd, 2023, 20:27
The primary challenge is that the formatting and text is different in every release, so the logic for the Steel Defender fails to interpret the Drake Companion correctly. While some things I may be able to address in a future update, it probably will be a little while before I have the opportunity to. (Perhaps Zaccaeus has the ability to and could be convinced to standardize the templates a bit :p). In the mean time you should be able to get close with the following:
Armor Class - Add "+PB" before the parenthesis.
Hit Points - Already works so long as the creature is added to the cohort list first then the combat tracker.
Hit Dice - Work the same as HP if the Constitutional Amendments extension is also present.
Saving Throws - Add "(+PB)" after the number for each one.
Bite Attack - Change "plus PB" to "+PB" for both the attack and damage text to automate.
Breath Weapon - change "DC (spell save)" to "DC Players".

All damage type selections will have to be handled outside of any Friend Zone automation, as will the discrete improvements gained at 7th and 15th level.

micael
February 23rd, 2023, 08:48
HI,

thanks for your help- I tried to change all the things you mentioned in the template, renamed it, but your formulars are not functioning- means you only see the text without calculating anything- I tried the Steel defender template and there you also see only the text- nothing is calculated: Also the hp are not calculated correctly with Constitutional Amendments. Of course I dragged the npc template into the cohort drawer of a character of my campaign as DM.

Thanks
Micael

micael
February 26th, 2023, 11:29
Hi MeAndUnique,

any chance for an update to your ext- seems that most of the automatic functions are no longer available (see above)?

Thanks
Micael

MeAndUnique
February 26th, 2023, 12:01
HI,

thanks for your help- I tried to change all the things you mentioned in the template, renamed it, but your formulars are not functioning- means you only see the text without calculating anything- I tried the Steel defender template and there you also see only the text- nothing is calculated: Also the hp are not calculated correctly with Constitutional Amendments. Of course I dragged the npc template into the cohort drawer of a character of my campaign as DM.

Thanks
Micael

This sounds like there is a conflict with another extension at play; with only Friend Zone and Constitutional Amendments loaded I am seeing everything work as intended with the Steel Defender. Likewise, with one possible additional edit (see below) everything is working as intended for the Drake Companion. In order to help address the problems you are encountering I will either need to know which extensions is in conflict or detailed steps to produce the problem in a clean campaign with only these two extensions loaded.

For the Drake Companion HP, the line on the Other tab that describes the hit points will need an apostrophe added so it reads as "...the ranger's level". However, this should only be necessary for the purposes of multiclassing to ensure the drake only benefits from levels in the ranger class.

micael
February 27th, 2023, 19:49
I have a lot of ext, but deactivated them all except Friend Zone and Constitutional Amendments (modules I have also a lot but they should do no problems?)- and still drakes and steel defenders are only shown *PB as text?

Thanks
Micael

MeAndUnique
February 27th, 2023, 21:08
I have a lot of ext, but deactivated them all except Friend Zone and Constitutional Amendments (modules I have also a lot but they should do no problems?)- and still drakes and steel defenders are only shown *PB as text?

Thanks
Micael

I guess I'm misunderstanding the problem. The intended functionality is that the PB text is parsed along with the rest of the text for the purposes of calculating the resulting numbers correctly, however it does so without actually changing the associated text. So what is expected is that indeed the Saves or AC should retain the PG text, however the calculations when attacks and saving throws are made should account for the caregiver's proficiency bonus being added. Same for attacks and damage, and most other text, which will otherwise continue to behave as they normally would on the NPC sheet.

micael
February 27th, 2023, 21:48
Ah, yes ok then its functioning- all except the hp and DC Players- they are not counted correctly and DC players canīt be rolled at all- its just text- steel defender has still 3hp in template and drake only 15 instead of 20 in lvl3.
Any idea why? Do you mean the Players= Name of player for and last name or just the text "DC players"? And not in the other sheet but on the main sheet, yes?
Thanks
Micael

MeAndUnique
February 27th, 2023, 22:26
Ah, yes ok then its functioning- all except the hp and DC Players- they are not counted correctly and DC players canīt be rolled at all- its just text- steel defender has still 3hp in template and drake only 15 instead of 20 in lvl3.
Any idea why? Do you mean the Players= Name of player for and last name or just the text "DC players"? And not in the other sheet but on the main sheet, yes?
Thanks
Micael

Hmmm, for the hit points I guess try right clicking and selecting "Reparse Hit Points". For the DC that is my bad, I mistyped it sorry. It should be a "DC Player Dexterity saving throw" (no 's' in Player).

micael
February 28th, 2023, 09:04
Thanks but reparsing is not functioning with hp instead an error message is coming: error, radial: canīt find menu icon (heal) spell- infact I donīt understand where FGU should know how many hp is the right one? No formular for hp given?
thanks
Micael

ErikDWick
February 28th, 2023, 21:34
EDIT: The recent FGU hotfixes seem to have solved the issue proving it was not a problem with Friend Zone or with Constitutional Amendments. Cheers!

After the most recent FGU update this extension is no longer working.

My compiled logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4li9fdhhw4emok/fgu_logs_20230228.zip?dl=0

MeAndUnique
March 1st, 2023, 16:47

My compiled logs:

The attached logs show that many additional extensions are loaded and the error messages suggest that another extension is making destructive changes that remove ruleset code. If you can confirm which of the other extensions is conflicting, and that the extension itself is up to date with the latest FG update, then I'd be happy to work with the developer of that extension to find a solution.

MeAndUnique
March 1st, 2023, 17:51
The attached logs show that many additional extensions are loaded and the error messages suggest that another extension is making destructive changes that remove ruleset code. If you can confirm which of the other extensions is conflicting, and that the extension itself is up to date with the latest FG update, then I'd be happy to work with the developer of that extension to find a solution.

For posterity, this was identified as a transient and unrelated hiccup; everything is working as expected now.

micael
March 10th, 2023, 12:56
EDIT: The recent FGU hotfixes seem to have solved the issue proving it was not a problem with Friend Zone or with Constitutional Amendments. Cheers!

My compiled logs:

Hi,
but still the hp of steel defender template and Drake template are not automatically raised dependent to the lvl of the ranger (lvl3 ranger and still 3 hp shown in steel defender combat tracker and 15 in Drake combat tracker)- I have to manually adjust- in fact I canīt see a formular, that would adjust the hp accordingly somewhere on the charsheet.

Thanks
Micael

Mirtul
March 13th, 2023, 22:00
Hi

Loving this extension!

I have one question. I can target an enemy with a cohort just fine like if it was my character, but when I make an attack with the cohort, the attack becomes a targetless attack roll even though the cohort has a target.

My question is if the attack is supposed to be made against the targets AC and I'm doing something wrong or if it is an unsupported case and cohorts depends on some manual handling of damage and to-hit.

MeAndUnique
March 16th, 2023, 16:07
Hi,
but still the hp of steel defender template and Drake template are not automatically raised dependent to the lvl of the ranger (lvl3 ranger and still 3 hp shown in steel defender combat tracker and 15 in Drake combat tracker)- I have to manually adjust- in fact I canīt see a formular, that would adjust the hp accordingly somewhere on the charsheet.

Thanks
Micael

To get the automatic adjustment the field next to the hit points needs to say "(see notes)" and then on the Other tab for the drake needs to have the adjustment to its hit points line to say "Hit Points: Calculate the hp equal to 5 + 5 times the ranger's level". The steel defender should work directly as is from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. I can verify this as functioning in a fresh campaign with only Friend Zone loaded when the companion creatures and their commander are all on the CT, with the creatures having been added to the cohort list first.

MeAndUnique
March 16th, 2023, 16:08
Hi

Loving this extension!

I have one question. I can target an enemy with a cohort just fine like if it was my character, but when I make an attack with the cohort, the attack becomes a targetless attack roll even though the cohort has a target.

My question is if the attack is supposed to be made against the targets AC and I'm doing something wrong or if it is an unsupported case and cohorts depends on some manual handling of damage and to-hit.

This sounds like either a conflict with another extension or a case of the cohort not having been added to the CT directly from the cohort list. Attacks are intended to resolve normally, and I have confirmed that they are functioning as expected when only Friend Zone is loaded.

Sangra69
June 30th, 2023, 10:18
SO I have a Druid/Necromancer in my game. He got his Bone Golem minion. Ashen Bond scales the Golem to his stats. How do you get it to scale with the player character? I wish there were a video tutorial to show me how this works. I thought I knew how it worked, but the formula from the previous posts didn't seem to work.

MrDDT
June 30th, 2023, 19:05
SO I have a Druid/Necromancer in my game. He got his Bone Golem minion. Ashen Bond scales the Golem to his stats. How do you get it to scale with the player character? I wish there were a video tutorial to show me how this works. I thought I knew how it worked, but the formula from the previous posts didn't seem to work.

Depends on how it's affected by the Druid/Necromancer stats.

Example.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70026-5E-Friend-Zone&p=629966&viewfull=1#post629966 You can find here, but there are other ways to do things. Can you give us the exact details of how things would be?

MeAndUnique
August 2nd, 2023, 15:44
Just released version 1.3.0 which adds support for Cohorts of NPCs using the NPC commander's PB. This is to support the Environmental Lairs (lairs actions that can be used by any creature in an environment) as shown in the newly released Flee, Mortals! (http://affiliates.fantasygrounds.com/316079/15958/url_28524) module.

amanwing
August 11th, 2023, 07:51
Is it possible to use this in the Shadows of the Demon Lord ruleset?

MeAndUnique
August 13th, 2023, 15:00
Is it possible to use this in the Shadows of the Demon Lord ruleset?

Nope, this extension itself has a lot of support for 5e mechanics baked in. However, there is a fork of the extension on the Forge called Cohorts and Companions (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/518/view) that is intended for use with any ruleset based on CoreRPG (I think SotDL is, though I can't say for sure)

Camberme
November 3rd, 2023, 21:39
does friendzone work in pf2?

Hey idiot (me) read the post above... HAHAHAH sigh :) Thank you!

nephranka
February 23rd, 2024, 19:48
This looks to be having issues in TEST. Passing the info along.

Macsim833
February 25th, 2024, 11:30
When selecting any NPC, it gives an error 59942

MrDDT
February 25th, 2024, 18:49
When selecting any NPC, it gives an error 59942

I'm not getting this error, can you give more information?

Also have you tested with no other EXTs loaded? (I forget to do this all the time)

Lazybones1969
March 7th, 2024, 16:12
The same error described above by Macsim833 happens again after the latest FGU 4.5.0 update. With only Friend Zone loaded, when a PC has a cohort the error appears any time an NPC sheet is opened by the GM.

thedruski
March 7th, 2024, 18:57
Just wanted to inform you that as of FG update v.4.5 the Friend Zone extension is no longer working correctly.

Tan0
March 8th, 2024, 13:08
Same here, just to confirm.

LokVahdin
March 8th, 2024, 20:09
after 30 minutes of waiting for my post to show up, I'm posting again. Sorry if this winds up being a duplicate.
I am having the same problem as @Macsim833.
I created a new campaign.
I only have FriendZone loaded (the problem does not happen with FriendZone disabled)
The error occurs with 0+ characters. (I tested with 0 characters and 1 character)
The error occurs with the Host or Client.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new 5E campaign, select only the FriendZone extension.
2. Once the campaign is loaded navigate to NPCs
3. Open any NPC
4. 14 Errors occur all involving Window Control (contentframe)

Pastebins of logs:
https://pastebin.com/GVqwN90g - first brand new campaign
https://pastebin.com/9wqbpiBz - second brand new campaign

Zetesofos
March 9th, 2024, 04:14
Same here as well - I'm also getting this error with Kit n' Kaboodle - but when I isolate to one or the other, it still exisits; so its an issue for Friend Zone specifically, at the very least.