PDA

View Full Version : Beasts and Barbarians Rulesets not working

Caratacus
August 11th, 2021, 17:41
Hello,
Yesterday I had no problem accessing my copies of Beasts and Barbarians for Savage Worlds through my Fantasy Grounds Unity and now today it will not open either the GM or the Player's guide. Is this possibly related to them originally being for FG Classic? Other rules modules seem to be working fine.

The Error line reads the same for both modules

Process Data file (BNB Player Guide):' ' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 5, position 27.

Ironically I just had session Zero for 2 players who I've convinced to work online with FG, and we had chosen Beasts and Barbarians from multiple options, so I need to have an idea if this is fixable or we will have to change games. Appreciate the help,

Caratacus

LordEntrails
August 11th, 2021, 18:29
Can you use Compile Logs from the launch screen to generate your logs files and then attach them here?

Caratacus
August 11th, 2021, 18:51
I've never used that button before. Once I've compiled them where is it saved?

Caratacus
August 11th, 2021, 18:55
Aha! Just found it48652

Talyn
August 11th, 2021, 19:09
Which edition of B&B is this happening in? The first and most important problem I'm seeing is that in the SVN neither edition uses the module name 'BnB Player Guide' or 'BnB GM Guide' so I'm not actually sure where to look to hotfix it... I'm unable to duplicate this error with either the retail version or my local development versions.

Steel Edition (SE) is the most current edition and has been updated to SWADE here on FG. Gold Edition (GE) is no longer available except for customers who had already purchased it. I'm not supposed to give GE any further updates, but hotfixes for broken issues are still permitted.

I also notice your Garden of Death has an old module name that was changed quite some time ago.

Caratacus
August 11th, 2021, 19:37
I've had them for a while, and used them in FG Classic. I am certain they are Gold Edition, due to the actual rules within. Steel edition changed some rules. Truthfully I've had them for a few years, just haven't used them a lot lately.

Talyn
August 11th, 2021, 19:56
I just pulled the Golden Edition off SVN and ran it in Unity and also got no errors there. It sounds like you're still using the old modules from way back when? Run the FG Updater, and if all else fails, delete the older modules before running the Updater to make sure it downloads the most current files.

Here's what you should be seeing for either one:

Golden Edition (BBGE)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48654&stc=1&d=1628708056

Steel Edition (BBSE)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48655&stc=1&d=1628708071

If your Library window looks different, then you're definitely using really old files.

ddavison
August 11th, 2021, 20:03
Yes, please move the modules from your modules folder and then run an update. This will make sure that you get the latest version.

Caratacus
August 11th, 2021, 20:18
OK, so if I understand correctly I removed the two files from the modules folder, ran an update. Things work fine with everything else, except of course the Beasts and Barbarians modules aren't available to use in game, so when I reloaded them into modules folder I got the same result as before the update.

ddavison
August 11th, 2021, 20:38
Okay, so we need to find the source for those modules. If you bought it from the store, it should show up in your Order History and they should automatically install for you into either the modules folder, or the vault folder. The vault is the default. If you put a module in the modules folder it will override the module from your vault folder.

Caratacus
August 11th, 2021, 22:07
I can't find them in my store files. I honestly don't remember where I got them, as I have acquired modules from several sources. They may have been given to me by a friend at some point. I know I have had them for a few years. Is it this a fixable issue, or should I be buying them again? I am anything but a tech guy, I am confused as to why they worked yesterday and now don't today.
And thanks again for all your help on this.

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2021, 00:39
Those modules were not legally available through any source other than our update system.

If you purchased, you should have gotten an e-mail with the order information as well as visibility in Order History (via FG store); or available in DLC listing (via Steam store).

Regards,
JPG

Caratacus
August 12th, 2021, 03:54
I am not certain as to the origin, as mentioned I have had them for several years so I have just purchased both modules off this site. Thank you all for the help you've given me on this.

Caratacus

Talyn
August 12th, 2021, 04:26
I also still have a copy of the final version of BBGE the previous developer had released before I took over, and those module names were not used there either. Been a year or two but I think he and I did have a discussion about the pros and cons of changing that, so perhaps your copies were his early versions of BBGE before he made his final few updates?