PDA

View Full Version : monster and spell program

Starfleet
August 17th, 2007, 13:42
Just wondering if any one would be intrested in this, just a quick program i did up that does a bunch of the code for you (You still have to copy and paste the code into the xml)

two screen shots

https://www.star-fleet.org/images/monstereditor.jpg
&
https://www.star-fleet.org/images/spelleditor.jpg

if intrested let me know put this in here because it's related to creation of modules etc if in wrong place i guess it will be moved.

richvalle
August 17th, 2007, 13:56
Yeah, thats nice!

I know I'll be adding spells at some point since I have the Spell Compendium.

rv

Starfleet
August 17th, 2007, 14:17
ok i uploaded it to https://www.star-fleet.org/downloads/monsterandspelleditor.zip

Understand it's a use as is program it's not perfect I'll happly update it if people let me know what they want added, saddly at the moment i'm not the best at xml programming so i can't get it to open up existing data etc. Mainly because of the weird way that FG II handles xml by that i mean

<monstername/spellname>
<data>

where as when i normally do xml it's

<monster name="test">
<monster whatever>whatever>
</monster>

So feel free to dl and to throw suggestions at me.

Starfleet
August 24th, 2007, 14:06
updated the spell part of this a bit if any one is actually using it let me know and i'll upload a newer copy.

by updating basically it now includes all the drop downs you'd find in something like etools. so rather then typing everything you can select from some of them.

Hamish
August 24th, 2007, 14:27
I'm not actually using it ATM, but will be shortly I think, so the updated version would be appreciated.

Starfleet
August 25th, 2007, 15:10
ok updated the original link with the newer version

GoOrange
August 26th, 2007, 13:33
Looks very useful - thanks!

Perren
August 30th, 2007, 18:00
Ohhhh pretty. I think I will check this out.

GoOrange
August 30th, 2007, 22:23
Tried it out yesterday and it worked nicely. Thanks for putting this up!

Starfleet
September 30th, 2007, 05:28
seems i've had this out for a bit just wondering if any one has any suggestions that they wanted done..

VgnFrnd
September 30th, 2007, 15:58
Wow! I am so glad that you bumped this thread. I missed it somehow the first time around. I have to enter a bunch of new monsters all the time because I mostly play modern games. This program looks like just the ticket. I'm downloading now. This week, I'll test and get back to you. Thanks!

VgnFrnd
September 30th, 2007, 16:08
Actually, one suggestion jumps immediately to mind: Is there a way to save the output xml as a .txt file, named by default with the monster's name? This would save some cutting and pasting for backup purposes. Then, it would be neat if we could re-open those text files and have the entry fields re-populate. Then, monsters could be edited more easily. Right now, I see that I can paste into the output field, but the entry fields don't re-populate.

I know you said that you haven't been able to load xml from FGII, but I wonder if you could load it from a txt file that your program saves on its own? The contents of that txt file might even be different than the xml we need to paste into our FGII databases. For that, we coulds still copy and paste from the output screen.

This is just a suggestion based on my first impression, which is still an almost-unqualified "Wow!" :) I'm sure that I will be getting a lot of mileage out of it as is. Thanks again.

Starfleet
October 1st, 2007, 09:49
I can look into it i've not touched the programs since i did the second update.. for the spell side, there are a few things i wanna do / change etc.. mainly to make it more friendly.. if i could get it to work with the fg xml i'd be happy... just reading the data in the way it is in fg2 isn't that easy .. I'll see what i can do though about a save function.

VgnFrnd
October 1st, 2007, 23:02
Great! It sounds like you're pursuing your coding on this project as a hobby, but I'll bet that the more you work on it, the more the kudos will flow in. It's a great little app already. :)