PDA

View Full Version : Painting layer not updating in real time for clients.

GEONE
August 6th, 2021, 09:05
Hello, I've noticed that most of the time when stamping on a paint layer, the players will not see the added stamps. Closing and reopening the map fixes it, but this is impractical to do during play.
It is most reproducible on a newly created layer, but also occasionally happens on existing paint layers. Fullscreening/Unfullscreening also seems to update the paint layer.

I was really hoping I could use it to mark where player's arrows land but it seems this is not a reliable use case.

Edit: It seems to be for assets that have not yet been downloaded by the client. Even after they've been downloaded the map still needs to be reloaded before they appear, but once the client has loaded that specific image then it will appear consistently for the remainder of the session.
A work-around we discovered is to create a hidden layer on the map with all the assets you want to use in real-time placed somewhere on them, but this obviously isn't ideal.

Moon Wizard
August 6th, 2021, 17:27
This is expected behavior. FG will only transfer files that are actually being shown. Otherwise, player connect times and bandwidth needs would skyrocket to transfer every asset in your data folders plus every module open.

Make sure that you are using small graphics files for these situations to reduce transfer times. Something small like this should probably be less than 50x50 pixels.

Regards,
JPG

GEONE
August 6th, 2021, 21:11
This seems odd for intended behaviour. Surely the asset should show up for the player once it's loaded without having to close and reopen the map, no?

MrDDT
August 6th, 2021, 21:20
This seems odd for intended behaviour. Surely the asset should show up for the player once it's loaded without having to close and reopen the map, no?

As Moon was saying, in order to change it, it would require all your assets to be transferred to the players when they joined. Resharing the map/image will update it really fast unless you made large changes of images.

What I do is preprep the map with hidden things I want to put on it. Then reveal them once they find it. However, this doesn't fix things for like if players set off a fireball and you want to show the room all burnt up or something. No way to preplan that. So you would have to just reload/share the map.

GEONE
August 6th, 2021, 21:34
I'm not sure I fully understand. The current behaviour is that once an image is placed on the map, it begins to transfer that image to the other clients. Then once it's finished transferring, the image still doesn't show up until the map is reloaded. Can't the game just automatically update the map for the client once the image is done transferring so manually closing/reopening or resharing isn't required?

I don't see how this would require forcing the client to download every asset in order to fix.

Moon Wizard
August 6th, 2021, 22:18
Perhaps I misunderstood the issue.

* Is the issue that there is a delay between initial placement and the image appearing?
* Or is the issue that the image never appears until the image is closed/re-opened or re-shared or some other step?

Thanks,
JPG

GEONE
August 7th, 2021, 00:22
the latter option. The stamp/brushstroke never appears on the client's end until the map is either closed and reopened or fullscreened (or unfullscreened), no matter how long they wait. Once this is done the first time though, that specific image asset can be stamped and brushed freely and it will update in real time for the clients.

MarcusMapal
August 7th, 2021, 14:32
If you want to do this quickly duplicate your paint layer and then delete it, throws up the images right away!

xxXEliteXxx
August 8th, 2021, 18:48
yeah this is a big issue for me too. i hope this gets fixed soon because not being able to edit things on the fly and have the other players see the change without reopening the map really breaks up the flow of the game its started frustrating my players.