PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a local character/hotkeys

1ifeblood
August 17th, 2007, 00:19
I developed a character using the " Create and View Local Characters" option but am wanting to set up my hotkeys for it. Is this something I can do on my own or do I have to do it on my DMs server after loading it?

Is there any way I can load the local character I created into my own module (as DM) and set up the hotkeys that way?

Thanks!

Griogre
August 17th, 2007, 01:22
The hotkeys are stored on the server so you can not set up a local character's hot keys.

While you could connect to your server and setup hotkeys it would not do you any good unless you were going to play on that server in that campaign.

1ifeblood
September 3rd, 2007, 05:52
Okay I'm a little confused as to what the purpose of having hotkeys is if you have to set them at the beginning of every session. Isn't there any way you can save your hotkeys on a particular server for a particular character or are you really suppose to reset them every time?

Sigurd
September 3rd, 2007, 07:05
I think its kind of a holdover from FG1 where you could only have one character. A particular server stores hot keys for your log in name regardless and you share the same keys (or reprogram them) for all the characters on that server.

My only suggestion is that there are a lot of slots for hotkeys: (shift,cntrl,alt) F1-12. You can come up with some organization for multiple characters.

It would be really nice if you could tie a character to a hotkey preset, or store all your hotkeys for a character on the character sheet, or only have the selected char hotkeys active.

I've had this conversation here before. I imagine the devs have read it.

Sigurd

Hamish
September 3rd, 2007, 09:33
This is not part of a ruleset, is it? No way we can tweak around with this ourselves?

Griogre
September 3rd, 2007, 16:24
Okay I'm a little confused as to what the purpose of having hotkeys is if you have to set them at the beginning of every session. Isn't there any way you can save your hotkeys on a particular server for a particular character or are you really suppose to reset them every time?
Just to make sure. Hotkeys are on the server are saved from session to session. However they are saved under the *character* name. But if you open more than one character you get the last character opened hotkeys.

I think its kind of a holdover from FG1 where you could only have one character. A particular server stores hot keys for your log in name regardless and you share the same keys (or reprogram them) for all the characters on that server.

I found this not to be correct. As you open different characters on the server you can see the hot keys change to each character opened. Now when you close the characters the hotkeys do not change. I checked this by making two characters with different user names then logging out. I freed the characters on the server and logged back in and opened each character one at a time. Maybe I'm missing something?

Sigurd
September 3rd, 2007, 19:27
Griogre - You're missing nothing. I bow to your experiamentation and extra effort.

No cookie for me :pirate:

More cookies for Griogre :D

Sigurd

Griogre
September 3rd, 2007, 20:36
LOL I love Cookies. :D