PDA

View Full Version : Can I UPDATE Unity while still running?

claycub
August 4th, 2021, 19:03
I leave my copy of Unity running for my players to access/create PCs without having to bother me. I periodically update to keep it ready. Do I HAVE to shut down the client and then update, or can I update from within the client? FGU is the only client I am using.

Also, If I need to reboot the computer/power outtage, can I set an .exe for start-up? I couldn't with the Classic version. Wondering if that's available in Unity.

Appreciate the response..have a great day!

Trenloe
August 4th, 2021, 19:14
FGU has to be closed to be able to update - it won't allow you to update if it's running.

And you can't auto start FGU - as you'll need to select the campaign to load and click load, you can't auto start and load a campaign.

claycub
August 4th, 2021, 19:29
Thank you for clarifying also about the campaign loading..It would have been the NEXT question..LOL!
Thank you for answering about the updating as well. No biggie..just would be nice to somehow have these items scriptable!
Cheers!

LordEntrails
August 4th, 2021, 19:55
I suspect some of the various automation tools would allow you to create a batch file that could start FGU and load a campaign. They are ones that mimic mouse clicks and keyboard typing. I've had team mates use them in the past for automated testing of web pages, such as Cucumber. But I can't recommend any of them because other than knowing they exist and we decided not to use them, I know next to nothing about them.

Lo Zeno
August 5th, 2021, 09:38
This kind of things would be better done if FGU had a command line interface.
I took the liberty to suggest it as an idea for a future enhancement: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=136961

claycub
August 5th, 2021, 16:48
Thank you! that would be great!

Lo Zeno
August 5th, 2021, 17:22
If you want to increase the chances of it being done, go on that link and vote for it

claycub
August 5th, 2021, 18:47
DONE!! Great Write-up btw!