PDA

View Full Version : "highlighting" of current token on map is so subtle that its useless.

sweetsquid
July 31st, 2021, 05:10
I just ran a very frustrating session...

The highlighting of the currently active token is so subtle as to be completely useless. I actually need to TOGGLE visibility of NPCs on and off to try and find which one is active.

for me as as GM Combat is almost unplayable when you cant tell which token is currently activated in tracker

(what is it a 3 pixel, 70 % transparent circle?)... needs to be fixed like a big solid visible outline.

image shows how easy it is to see the Active token currently.48490

ZoranDob
July 31st, 2021, 08:24
I too am frustrated with this oversight. I currently look at the CT to see the name/number or the NPC and then try to find it on the map. It needs to be easily seen.

Doswelk
July 31st, 2021, 11:17
Middle click on a token to highlight on the CT, helps sometimes, this is not a SWADE ruleset setting but an FGU setting, you are complaining in the wrong forum :)

But we can middle mouse button on a token :)

sweetsquid
July 31st, 2021, 12:49
Sorry which Forum is the right one then? I tried a coreRPG extension for token highlighting but, it doesn't work in SW.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46585-CoreRPG-Extension-Has-Initiative-Indicator

interesting effect when you middle mouse button... how do you unselect it? my whole CT is pink now. :p

but the problem is not selecting a token on the map, its showing active FROM CT, If you could click a token in the CT and highlight on map that would work.

Kyler
July 31st, 2021, 13:31
This same conversation can be seen here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?7137-Outlining-circle-around-monster-too-faint

sweetsquid
July 31st, 2021, 13:35
Known UX problem unfixed since 2007, that’s disheartening…

Kyler
July 31st, 2021, 14:28
If you weren't aware of it, idea informer might be another way to give this issue more visibility. The link is as follows: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Mike Serfass
July 31st, 2021, 19:27
Have you tried the auto-center map setting? Having the map center on the token helps locate it. As long as you don't mind the shifting view.

HouseDressing
November 25th, 2021, 17:21
I tried a coreRPG extension for token highlighting but, it doesn't work in SW.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46585-CoreRPG-Extension-Has-Initiative-Indicator

In reading the other forum, it sounds like the issue with this extension in SW has to do with Initiative (CorePRG / 5e) vs. Action Cards (SW).
If this extension could be modified to be compatible with SW, I think every GM would use it. It would be particularly useful when running large combats with multiple NPC extras.

I think every GM has had a similar experience to this typical scenario:
Next in the combat tracker: Gunman 8. You can't remember which particular token is Gunman 8 on a map with 6 PCs and 12 NPC gunmen. You can't see the faint highlight of the token, particularly when the map you're playing on is a lighter color. And you spend precious time panning around the map, hovering your cursor over all the tokens, waiting for the tooltip to pop-up with the token's name, hoping that it is the right token....Gunman 2 (nope), Gunman 5 (nope), Gunman 11 (nope), Gunman 4 (nope), Gunman 8 (FINALLY!). Now, what is Gunman 8 going to do... Repeat. Repeat. Repeat...

This kills the FFF of Savage Worlds. I spend too much time just trying to find the correct token.

I understand that this issue is not a Savage Worlds ruleset issue, but an issue with FGU token highlighting. However, I'm guessing that the CoreRPG extension (which works with 5e) will make it so that SmiteWorks will never address the core issue. This leaves all of us that run SW out in the cold.

I don't pretend to understand how difficult it would be to modify the CoreRPG extension to work with SW. But, I do know that it would be HUGELY beneficial to every Savage Worlds GM running games in FGU.

If this could be added to the next Savage Rules ruleset update (or some other mechanic that accomplishes the same thing), I would do a cartwheel of joy.

Dire Weasel
November 25th, 2021, 18:40
The aforementioned extension has been updated to work with Savage Worlds, although it looks like the description hasn’t been updated to say so.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/166/view

amerigoV
November 26th, 2021, 00:59
The aforementioned extension has been updated to work with Savage Worlds, although it looks like the description hasn’t been updated to say so.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/166/view

Oh, that is a godsend. It works with SWPF as well. That might speed up combat 10-15% in a battle with a bunch of extras.

HouseDressing
November 26th, 2021, 13:41
Holy cow. This is awesome.
I have one more thing to be thankful for this year.

mac40k
November 26th, 2021, 17:08
Hmm, I've always just used the "Turn: Auto-center on map" option as a GM to center the map on the active token. May have to check this out.

Naroe
December 14th, 2021, 12:31
Middle click on a token to highlight on the CT, helps sometimes, this is not a SWADE ruleset setting but an FGU setting, you are complaining in the wrong forum :)

But we can middle mouse button on a token :)

Whats this middle click on token highlights on combat tracker. If I middle click a token on my map, nothing changes in the CT. Can you clarify. Is this a savage world only trick?

Jiminimonka
December 14th, 2021, 15:05
Whats this middle click on token highlights on combat tracker. If I middle click a token on my map, nothing changes in the CT. Can you clarify. Is this a savage world only trick?

This is a Savage Worlds ruleset feature on FG. Middle click the token and the token gets highlighted on the CT.

kronovan
December 14th, 2021, 23:45
This came up earlier a few months ago in this thread, but didn't seem to be addressed; someone asked how can you remove the pink highlight in the CT for characters that had their tokens middle-clicked. The solution is:

~ Move your mouse pointer over the active character indicator on the left edge of the the Combat Tracker and middle-click it - no characters in the CT will be selected.
~ Then move your mouse pointer to the left edge of that same, previously selected character until you see a ghosted active character indicator appear.
~ Left-click on the ghosted indicator; the previously selected character should now be correctly selected again.