PDA

View Full Version : Overlay Grid and Straight Lines

GoOrange
August 14th, 2007, 19:36
Anyone else notice that when you add a grid, the lines aren't perfectly straight. It's not a big deal, but it's annoying to look at. I've tried using a bunch of different grid sizes hoping that one would work better than another, but each one I've tried produces a similar result.

Anyone else out there noticed it and been bothered by it? Anyone found a solution?

Thanks,
Jeff

Sigurd
August 15th, 2007, 07:35
I imagine this is primarily a problem if you have a grid as part of the picture and then try to precisely overlay the grid over top. Is that the case?

It would seem that having one grid or the other would be the way to go, if thats the case.

Sigurd

Dachannien
August 15th, 2007, 10:22
You could generate an optical illusion effect that way, but I've also noticed that under certain conditions, a rectangular portion of an image will appear to be offset by about one pixel from the rest of the image. Sometimes that rectangular portion will periodically shift in and out of alignment by that one pixel of difference.

Is that what you're talking about, Jeff?

GoOrange
August 15th, 2007, 16:03
You could generate an optical illusion effect that way, but I've also noticed that under certain conditions, a rectangular portion of an image will appear to be offset by about one pixel from the rest of the image. Sometimes that rectangular portion will periodically shift in and out of alignment by that one pixel of difference.

Is that what you're talking about, Jeff?

Not sure we're talking about the same thing. As a matter of fact, after further playing around, I think I am not expressing the actual problem well.

In GM mode, I click the map button, click new.

Starting with a blank page, use the wheel to add a grid. The problem is especially prominent with smaller grid sizes.

The various lines actually are straight, but the thickness varies randomly along the course of the line, and this thickness variation changes as you zoom in and zoom out. At times, this variation in thickness gives the illusion of lines that aren't quite horizontal/straight.

I'm a bit of a nit-picker, and this bug drives me insane and makes the grid overlay much less useful for me.

Griogre
August 15th, 2007, 18:06
Ah, this probably happens because of dithering. You have zoomed the mouse with the wheel such that the grid is no longer on an integer grid. A higher resolution on you monitor would help some.

An easier fix would be to put the grid down after you have zoomed in. I personally have found that grids of less than 8 are problematical and if you need to make one smaller you should consider splitting your map.

Note: I believe there is still a bug that when you put down a grid the player view is shifted to where you did that without any feedback to the GM and the GM interface still showing them as seeing whatever area you had seleted before, so if you are using a scale at the bottom to make the grid make sure you reshare the map after laying down the grid where you want them to see.

GoOrange
August 15th, 2007, 21:55
Hmm. Right now I'm operating at 1280 x 800 resolution.

The problem does seem to be worse when I zoom in more after applying the grid. I've found that playing around with the zoom/grid size can make it better, but it is difficult to get rid of completely.

Griogre
August 15th, 2007, 23:40
If you are already that high a resolution won't get much more out of it. Just zoom the map to the level you want to display it in first and then put down the grid. You would see the problem unless you are zooming in and out.