PDA

View Full Version : CoreRPG: The One Ring 2e

Valarian
July 19th, 2021, 07:57
There is now a version of the ruleset for The One Ring 2nd Edition available in the CoreRPG section of my Rulesets Google Drive folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B75Lr5C1Hpx3dTR3T2UxUUNsc00?resourcekey=0-H8HWAgaf9yOJ4_Y9bouHtA&usp=sharing).
Current version: 0.4

TheOneRing2e.pak - put this file in the rulesets folder of your Fantasy Grounds data folder.

The current functionality is parity with the current 1st Edition version (Character sheet, NPC sheet, Combat tracker), plus base CoreRPG functionality.

Current ideas for improvements:

2nd Edition Dice Mechanics. Currently the dice mechanics are based on the 2st Edition. I have to work out how to modify the dice rolled before the roll occurs instead of the dice results to support the Favoured/Ill-favoured mechanic and bonus/penalty success dice - available on character sheet in version 0.3
Item Sheet: Add fields for weapon damage, edge, injury.
Item Sheet: Add fields for armour rating and shield bonus.
Character Sheet: Update weapon/armour/shield values on the character sheet when drag-drop an item to the inventory.
Party Sheet: Add Travel roles and journey tracking to the party sheet.
Add Reference Library options (Cultures, Callings, Traits, Fell Abilities) to the sidebar.

Known Issues:

Changing stance on the combat tracker doesn't change the stance on the character sheet. Stance bonus/penalty dice are not applied appropriately to the weapon skill rolls.

Workaround: Change stance on the character sheet. This sets the stance correctly in the combat tracker and ensures bonus/penalty dice are applied.

Valarian
July 19th, 2021, 08:02
Character Sheet Tabs & Changes

Main: Changes for the 2nd Edition attributes. Total Endurance and Hope are now set here and copied to read-only fields in the Endurance and Hope frames.
Combat: Changes for 2nd Edition.
Abilities: not much changed here other than the Endurance and Hope frames.
Inventory: Same as for 1st Edition and kept close to CoreRPG.
Other: Currently the same as for 1st Edition. This will change as the party sheet enhancement becomes available.
Log: The Tale of Years is currently the same as for 1st Edition and has added a link field for linking your log to Notes.
Notes: This is CoreRPG.

Character sheet dice handling is updated for 2nd edition.

The favoured checkbox (circle icon) will add an additional d12 and discard the lowest result.
The ill-favoured checkbox (eye icon) will add an additional d12 and discard the highest result.
Bonus/penalty dice can be added from the modifier area on the main and combat tabs.
For weapon skills, the combat stance adds a bonus die for Forward stance and a penalty die for Defensive stance.
Weary condition ignores results of 1 to 3 on the Success dice (d6s).
Miserable condition will show an automatic failure for a roll if an Eye is rolled.
Rolling a G-rune will show an automatic success.
Target numbers are added for the appropriate attribute and Success/Failure shown against the roll.

Where a target is selected in the combat tracker, the parry score of the target will be added to the body TN for weapon skill rolls
Protection tests do not yet have a link to the weapon injury rating for the opponent. Protection test totals will have to be checked manually against the weapon injury rating.

Valarian
July 19th, 2021, 08:07
The NPC Sheet has changed slightly from the 1st Edition version. The skills section has gone in line with 2nd Edition. The Might and Resolve/Hate score are shown.

Foe: The NPC is an Adversary and the Hate score is shown. The reference fields at the bottom of the sheet are labelled as Fell Abilities. Adversaries roll skills using the G-Rune as zero and the Eye of Sauron as 10.
Neutral/None: The NPC is shown with the Resolve score and the reference fields at the bottom are labelled as Fell Abilities. They roll skills using the G-Rune as zero and the Eye of Sauron as 10.
Friend: The NPC is a potential ally. The NPC is shown with the Resolve score and the reference fields at the bottom are labelled as Traits. The reference fields at the bottom are labelled as Traits. Allies roll skills using the G-Rune as 10 and the Eye of Sauron as zero.

Both Note and Reference Text reference links are allowed as drag/drop in the reference fields.

Valarian
July 19th, 2021, 08:15
The GM combat tracker view is much the same as in 1st edition with the following changes.

Initiative is now calculated on Stance + Battle skill (rather than Wits attribute).
Player character Parry now shows the TN to hit the character rather than the modifier. The shield score will modify this if the character is using a shield.
NPC parry still shows the modifier to the to-hit number based on the character's Strength TN.

For player characters, the combat tracker entry shows values linked to the character sheet.

Stance: stance (for initiative order)
End: current endurance (the left hand endurance value on the character sheet)
Ftg: current load (for noting when the character becomes weary)
Parry: parry (for determining to-hit value)
Shield: shield bonus (for determining to-hit value)

For NPCs, the combat tracker shows copies of the values on the linked NPC sheet. When rolling for an NPC with zero hate, the GM should tick the Weary box before making their roll. This will discount the 1-3 values on the skill dice.

Stance: stance (for initiative order)
End: current endurance
Ftg: current hate/resolve (for noting when the NPC becomes weary)
Parry: parry (for determining to-hit value)
Shield: (won't show a value as shields for NPCs has been removed)

The client view now shows the stance as well as the turn order. The stance is linked to Combat Stance value on the character sheet combat tab. The player can switch their stance from their character sheet, and this will be reflected on the combat tracker.
Note: If the turn order is hidden on the client side then the stance ordering isn't updated. Setting it to "On" or "Friendly" will order the characters into their stance orders. If set to "Friendly" the NPCs are shown in attribute level order, but the attribute level value is hidden.

VenomousFiligree
July 19th, 2021, 11:55
Great work!

RabidAttackGoat
August 3rd, 2021, 16:19
Thank you so much for doing this!

By the way, in testing I've noticed that I cannot drag/drop from the NPC window to roll for their Protection (brings up a ton of errors)!

Valarian
August 6th, 2021, 06:47
I cannot drag/drop from the NPC window to roll for their Protection
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "armourscore"]:32: attempt to index field 'headgear' (a nil value)
Fixed - version 0.2

Valarian
August 11th, 2021, 15:29
Version 0.3 is available, which has updated 2nd edition dice handling for the character sheet.

VenomousFiligree
August 11th, 2021, 15:35
Excellent! Going to give it a try now.

VenomousFiligree
August 20th, 2021, 09:24
Used this for two sessions now and all seems good, thanks for the work. Are you going to add favoured/illfavoured to the NPC sheet, also bonus dice?

Valarian
August 21st, 2021, 09:24
I will be at some point, yes.

Voxpopuli
August 30th, 2021, 03:08
Great work Valarian

Jonin
October 12th, 2021, 03:23
Good stuff. Thanks!

IronDuke07
October 23rd, 2021, 13:33
Is there a video or tutorial on gameplay? I am struggling with the basics like trying to roll dice and use combat tracker. I know I must be missing something simple, but I cannot get the pak to work at all.

LordEntrails
October 23rd, 2021, 17:13
Is there a video or tutorial on gameplay? I am struggling with the basics like trying to roll dice and use combat tracker. I know I must be missing something simple, but I cannot get the pak to work at all.
Do you need a tutorial for this ruleset or for FG in general?

If you are new to FG, ten you can find lots of tutorials on YouTube as well as free classes at www.fantasygroundscollege.net

IronDuke07
October 27th, 2021, 01:18
Do you need a tutorial for this ruleset or for FG in general?

If you are new to FG, ten you can find lots of tutorials on YouTube as well as free classes at www.fantasygroundscollege.net

Thanks! I checked it out and everything is working great! I was struggling on the bonus/penalty success dice mechanic in 2e, but it was explained in this thread. I missed it!

VenomousFiligree
March 4th, 2022, 08:45
Inventory auto calculating load seemed to be broken in our session last night. Has worked fine previously.

Valarian
March 4th, 2022, 18:42
Inventory auto calculating load seemed to be broken in our session last night. Has worked fine previously.
I'll have to compare with the latest from the CoreRPG. There aren't many customisations on the inventory tab of the character sheet so may easier to copy again and re-customise.

Valarian
March 6th, 2022, 09:08
I'll have to compare with the latest from the CoreRPG. There aren't many customisations on the inventory tab of the character sheet so may easier to copy again and re-customise.
I've compared the inventory tab in the character sheet and added in the new currency area. There's no differences in the inventory section, and I can't see why the auto-totalling of the encumbrance.load value from the item weight would not work.

Valarian
March 6th, 2022, 10:06
New version (0.4) available:
Fix - replace deprecated ActorManager.getActor
Fix - support modified inventory management

Link in the original post.

Elihu
April 21st, 2022, 14:51
Items in the inventory that I give weights do not add up and populate total weight.

Valarian
April 21st, 2022, 16:30
Items in the inventory that I give weights do not add up and populate total weight.
Ensure that you have the current version installed. This was a recent fix to cater for a CoreRPG change to inventory and encumbrance calculations.

Elihu
April 22nd, 2022, 01:40
Ensure that you have the current version installed. This was a recent fix to cater for a CoreRPG change to inventory and encumbrance calculations.

I am using 0.4, The total weight stays at 0 and my load is at 0, regardless of what items or weights of items placed in inventory. Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong, the items themselves, settings, party sheet, combat tracker?

See Image Error says: Script Error: [string "inventorylist"]:1: attempt to index global 'CharEncumbranceManager' (a nil value) Database Notice: Campaign saved.

Valarian
April 22nd, 2022, 09:46
Looks like something's broken the functionality again. I'll have to have another look.

Valarian
April 23rd, 2022, 10:24
I am using 0.4, The total weight stays at 0 and my load is at 0, regardless of what items or weights of items placed in inventory. Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong, the items themselves, settings, party sheet, combat tracker?

See Image Error says: Script Error: [string "inventorylist"]:1: attempt to index global 'CharEncumbranceManager' (a nil value) Database Notice: Campaign saved.

I've just tried replicating this in the CoreRPG fix version (FG Unity 4.1.16) and updating to 4.1.17. Both are working.
What is your Fantasy Grounds version number?

I've attached the previous version (0.3) in case you need to revert back to the previous method of inventory calculation, though it's likely to need an older CoreRPG as well.

Elihu
April 23rd, 2022, 21:56
I am using 3.3.15 ULTIMATE. I don't have Unity.

I just ran the file you posted v 0.3 and the inventory is working correctly. Does this mean that users that don't have Unity should stick with 0.3? Do you know of any functionality I will not have now? Also thank you for responding to my issues.

Valarian
April 24th, 2022, 00:02
It's going to be difficult to maintain backward compatibility with FG Classic as things progress. Currently, there's no further functionality in version 0.4 other than fixes for things that changes to CoreRPG broke. I can test future changes in both and try to add in code that checks the FG version.

vegaserik
April 25th, 2022, 09:24

I don't get it as a script error, mine just has this pop up in the chat and I'm on Unity and everything is fully updated.

Valarian
April 25th, 2022, 11:11
I don't get it as a script error, mine just has this pop up in the chat and I'm on Unity and everything is fully updated.
Version 0.4 is working in FG Unity (from 4.1.16).
Version 0.3 is required for FG Classic (3.3.15). The CharEncumbranceManager CoreRPG update isn't in FG Classic as it's deprecated and the updates have now stopped.

Going forward, I'll see if I can maintain backward compatibility. This could be difficult with the differences in CoreRPG code rather than code I've changed in the ruleset.

FSHSchmo
April 26th, 2022, 01:24
Hello there! First let me say thank you so much for this ruleset. I have converted the starter box and have a few questions after a few games. First, where is "fatigue" listed on the PC sheet? Second, is there a way to add an option on the side menu for abilities so I can have a master list to drag/drop for PCs/NPCs alike?

Valarian
April 26th, 2022, 06:29
First, where is "fatigue" listed on the PC sheet?
Add fatigue to the inventory so that it increases Load (thereby reducing carrying capacity).

Pg.69: When gained, Fatigue points temporarily raise a player-hero's total Load.

Second, is there a way to add an option on the side menu for abilities so I can have a master list to drag/drop for PCs/NPCs alike?
Not at the moment. I can add it to the list of things to do for the ruleset.

vegaserik
May 1st, 2022, 08:36
Version 0.4 is working in FG Unity (from 4.1.16).
Version 0.3 is required for FG Classic (3.3.15). The CharEncumbranceManager CoreRPG update isn't in FG Classic as it's deprecated and the updates have now stopped.

Going forward, I'll see if I can maintain backward compatibility. This could be difficult with the differences in CoreRPG code rather than code I've changed in the ruleset.

That is Unity not Classic. The error pops up in chat, not as an error. It happens every time you open the Inventory tab where the character has inventory items with no weight. I couldn't tell you if it happens with Classic, I don't play Classic anymore.

Valarian
May 1st, 2022, 14:15
That is Unity not Classic. The error pops up in chat, not as an error. It happens every time you open the Inventory tab where the character has inventory items with no weight. I couldn't tell you if it happens with Classic, I don't play Classic anymore.
I've not been able to reproduce the problem (FG Unity 4.1.17)

vegaserik
May 3rd, 2022, 09:54
I've not been able to reproduce the problem (FG Unity 4.1.17)

hmm it happens every time a pc has zero weight and I click on the inventory tab. I redownloaded it and tried and it happened again. There's no extensions loaded either on Unity 4.1.17 and it's not much of an issue, it's pretty easy to ignore it, it's just one of those head scratchers.

Elihu
May 13th, 2022, 17:49
Post Deleted.

FSHSchmo
June 3rd, 2022, 03:48
Hail and well met! I am working on converting the Core Book over to FG for a campaign I am writing and have a quick question. is it possible to convert the current "items" in the ruleset to match up to what the book requires to be populated, i.e., damage, injury, etc.? As of right now it just has notes, weight, and cost.

Valarian
June 6th, 2022, 07:53
Hail and well met! I am working on converting the Core Book over to FG for a campaign I am writing and have a quick question. is it possible to convert the current "items" in the ruleset to match up to what the book requires to be populated, i.e., damage, injury, etc.? As of right now it just has notes, weight, and cost.
Not at the moment. I've not modified items from the CoreRPG layout. The place to add additional information, at the moment, is in Notes.

Adding in additional functionality around items is on the to do list for the ruleset, but I don't know currently when I'll have the time or energy available to do the changes.

FSHSchmo
October 24th, 2022, 00:01
When adding an NPC to the combat tracker I get the following error -

[10/23/2022 6:00:03 PM] [WARNING] windowcontrol: Could not find frame (sheetfocus) in control (stance) in class (ct_entry)
[10/23/2022 6:00:03 PM] [WARNING] windowcontrol: Could not find frame (sheetfocus) in control (stance) in class (ct_entry)
[10/23/2022 6:00:06 PM] s'link_record_header_id template - DEPRECATED - 2022-07-12 - Use link_record_header'
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wearylabel) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wearylabel) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (armourlabel) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wpn1favour) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wpn1name) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wpn2favour) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wpn2name) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wpn3favour) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (wpn3name) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static width ignored for control () in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static width ignored for control () in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability1link) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability2name) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability2link) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability3link) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability4name) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability4link) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability5link) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability6name) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:07 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static height ignored for control (ability6link) in windowclass (npc_adversary)
[10/23/2022 6:00:09 PM] s'CombatManager.addNPCHelper - DEPRECATED - 2022-08-16 - Use CombatRecordManager.setRecordTypePostAddCallback/setRecordTypeCallback("npc", fn).'
[10/23/2022 6:00:09 PM] [WARNING] windowcontrol: Could not find frame (sheetfocus) in control (stance) in class (ct_entry)
[10/23/2022 6:00:09 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "CoreRPG:ct/scripts/ct.lua"]:30: attempt to index field 'summary_targets' (a nil value)
[10/23/2022 6:00:09 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "CoreRPG:ct/scripts/ct.lua"]:30: attempt to index field 'summary_targets' (a nil value)

bayne7400
October 26th, 2022, 21:52
Hey folks. I fixed Valarian's latest build and posted it to github. I also added some functionality and I plan on adding more. I sent him a message so hopefully all is well and he gets back to me!

https://github.com/bayne7400/TOR2e/tree/main

Video of changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdAWuFHeQvE

bayne7400
October 27th, 2022, 20:51
I updated the rest of the character sheet to fix all the warnings.(see git hub link post #39)

-All attacks and Damage rolls are automated (this fixes his todo wrt adversary parry). I am still pulling stance off the character sheet(which updates the Client CT). Client CT stance is locked for players
-All rolls on Character sheet can utilize the bonus die buttons and favoroued and ill-favoured buttons on desktop
- I did a bunch of behind the scenes cleanup adding templates where I could to reduce the amount of repeat scripting
- This is done Add Reference Library options (Cultures, Callings, Traits, Fell Abilities) to the sidebar. can be built in and drag/drop to NPC/PC. It is all one reference but can sort on type.

This is totally playable as is and I hope a few people will try and run a game to give some feedback.

bayne7400
October 28th, 2022, 18:18

OK last update. I put class and item records in. I'll automate it if I get some feedback. There is a bug with dropping on inventory so I'll nail that down and post an update.

bayne7400
November 6th, 2022, 21:05
Fixed a bug with Client CT (I had not touched this previously).
Everything is posted on the link on post #39.

wurgy
December 1st, 2022, 21:59
Awesome! You've came a long way since I last looked at this. Finishing up a D&D campaign and wanted to try a TOR2. Thanks!

VenomousFiligree
December 5th, 2022, 07:41
Fixed a bug with Client CT (I had not touched this previously).
Everything is posted on the link on post #39.

Thanks for the updates, I'm about to restart our Campaign after a bit of a hiatus.

rubenC
January 18th, 2023, 10:26
Thank you so much for your amazing work ( Both, Valerian and Bayne7400 )
I'll try the Bayne version and make some feedback.

bayne7400
January 18th, 2023, 12:27
Yeah Valarian said he picked up an error but I could not reproduce. I revamped quite a bit so could have been a compatibility thing with an older version of the charactersheet. I did not add anything for version control to prevent this. So please post any bugs you see.

rubenC
January 28th, 2023, 15:50
Hi Bayne ( and Valarian )

We have tried your ruleset and we have seen that on the "Abilites" sheet of Characters the organization is wrong. ( see attached screenshots )

Could you please try to fix it?

Another question, to upgrade the file from the Valerian version to yours, only need to replace the ruleset file true?

The Master doesn't want to lose all information that he has already uploaded to the campaign created using the valerian's ruleset.

:o

Thanks a lot!
rubenC

bayne7400
January 28th, 2023, 16:32
Graphic glitch updated.

No and in fact you might have some issues using my ruleset on a campaign started with Valerian's with some records. I did not use any version control scripting so some controls may have changed and it could produce errors.

rubenC
January 29th, 2023, 21:17
Thank you very much!!!

:-)
rubenC.

Bamvaughan
February 3rd, 2023, 12:16
Hi folks, I'm pretty new to TOR, but have been using FG for years for my DnD5e game, so I was pretty excited to see this ruleset. I did notice a few issues with it though, so I started to read up on coding and I've fixed them up (apologies if I'm stepping on anyone's toes here);

- Fixed Parry not updating on Combat tab and combat tracker.
- Shield bonus now adds to Current Parry on Combat Tab
- Removed 'Shield' column from combat tracker
- Fixed Endurance dropping below 0 on combat tracker
- Fixed Damage chat message, now says "Wounded" when below 0 Endurance, and 'Defender takes x damage' when above 0
- Fixed PC Endurance not updating on character sheet when changed on combat tracker
- Added Bayne's fix to Abilities tab visual glitch

For those interested in the details I've commented all my changes within the updated .xml and .lua files and tagged them with BAMV so they are easily searchable using Find in Files.
I've called it version 0.4.01 in an attempt to maintain some configuration management and credited Valerian and Bayne for their excellent work.

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/3nyiw68wsryzwee54tef5/h?dl=0&rlkey=jbkpmowip4rxhmamf0hgf1d07

There are a few other quality of life things I want to look at next, though no promises on timescale.
- Cannot drag and drop links to Calling entries onto Character sheet
- Cannot drag and drop links to Shadow Path entries onto Character sheet
- Add section for Distinctive Traits to character sheet
- Replace 'Defender' in chat message with name of target
- Add NPC weapon skills and NPC armour to combat tracker c.f. DnD 5e 'sword' item

Bryan

rubenC
February 18th, 2023, 16:50
Hi, Bamvaughan

Thank you so much!!!

We will be very grateful if you improve the Ruleset.

:-)

Daveyboi135
January 24th, 2024, 20:04
Amazing work there, Valarian!

I finally had some time to import your ruleset and test it out and it's really everything I could hope for to start a campaign!

DustyLensCap42
February 4th, 2024, 04:26
Had to run TOR remote for the first time today because I caught Covid. I really enjoy using a VTT, but I also love the way TOR is so tactile and uncomplex in a way that I never really needed a VTT for it. I want to say thanks to @Valarian, @bayne7400, and @Bamvaughan for the hard work in making a great interpretation of the ruleset for FG. It made it very enjoyable for me and my group to play remote. I will be continuing to use it because it did add to the experience. Having all the information at my fingertips left me storytelling more and asking for stats less. Thank you.

Daveyboi135
February 4th, 2024, 04:59
Here! Here! I'll drink to that as well! Thanks to the lot you, fine sirs!!!