PDA

View Full Version : Traveller Community on FG

viktorthepirate
July 18th, 2021, 06:37
Hey guys,

I was thinking about starting a Traveller campaign but don't want to invest all the money into the books if the community on FG is small to the point where I wouldn't find anyone if I posted on the LFG forum.

Does anyone have a general feel for how hard it is to find people to play?

johnecc
July 18th, 2021, 08:43
Whenever someone posts about starting a game there is usually a lot of interest. It would depend on your timezone and when you run the game, that is the determining factor generally.

DHRo1970
July 18th, 2021, 14:37
I would second John's comment. Much of the interest level is based on timing and availability issues.

As a person amd future GM who has recently 'bought in' I would also not underestimate the learning curve. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be, but there are enough little questions in my mind that I have decided to play as a player first.

viktorthepirate
July 18th, 2021, 17:26
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm not too concerned about the learning curve. I used 2nd Edition D&D on FGU and it was a bit wonky because it was done by one man / small team just like Traveller seems to be. Nothing that couldn't be overcome. FGU seems like it is definitely designed with 5E D&D in mind.

I've read pretty closely the issues/quirks people are having with the current system. It is all ok with me, work in progress and all that.

My main concern was sinking a couple hundred dollars into books and finding no one to play ha ha. But you guys answered that pretty well. Thanks for the advice guys.

RustyInRT
July 18th, 2021, 20:40
I would second John's comment. Much of the interest level is based on timing and availability issues.

I agree. There always seems to be a great deal of interest. The difficulty lies in the depth of the player pool making arranging a game convenient for everyone's day/time/time zone a logistical nightmare. That said, as long as you are patient and don't try to rush a start date, most games seem to get off the ground.

As a person amd future GM who has recently 'bought in' I would also not underestimate the learning curve. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be, but there are enough little questions in my mind that I have decided to play as a player first.

I'm in the same boat, wanting a little more experience as a player before trying my hand as a Referee. I've been looking for a game for months and now that I am days away from a trip that will take me away from home for over a month, the OP's is the second one to pop up that I just can't join.

viktorthepirate
July 18th, 2021, 20:43
I agree. There always seems to be a great deal of interest. The difficulty lies in the depth of the player pool making arranging a game convenient for everyone's day/time/time zone a logistical nightmare. That said, as long as you are patient and don't try to rush a start date, most games seem to get off the ground.

I'm in the same boat, wanting a little more experience as a player before trying my hand as a Referee. I've been looking for a game for months and now that I am days away from a trip that will take me away from home for over a month, the OP's is the second one to pop up that I just can't join.

Yea, it seems to be an older crowd (who are more interested in skill/rp type games in general). It makes sense that scheduling is the largest issue. Too bad you can't make it :-(. I posted in LFP/LFG

Again, thanks for the advice everyone, I pulled the trigger on the books thanks to your advice.

viktorthepirate
July 19th, 2021, 16:47
By the way... what is the discord channel?

Killroy24
July 20th, 2021, 02:59
I actually have three teenagers in my game. Just depends on how you sell it when your looking for players.

JohnD
July 20th, 2021, 19:15
By the way... what is the discord channel?

https://discord.gg/dRCCvhx5

viktorthepirate
July 20th, 2021, 23:54

Thank you!

donpaulo
August 20th, 2021, 05:55

unfortunately this invite has expired
we can edit the invite expiration date

this is just in case someone comes across the thread later and cannot join

MrWigggles
August 20th, 2021, 07:14
I dont know if the other link was to the Traveller Discord.
Though in case it wasnt.

Traveller Discord.
https://discord.gg/mDVfuMUfmM

donpaulo
August 28th, 2021, 13:10
always interest
its usually more about scheduling