PDA

View Full Version : Odd vision behaviour tied to a battlemap

skj310
July 8th, 2021, 08:47
Am running latest FGU v4.1.4 on LX for 5E ruleset; am using a battlemap campaign with no extensions nor modules open. I use campaigns like this one to create a battlemap-module that I load into game campaigns. The map herein is doing something odd that I don't get.

The first attachment: screenshot_FGU_LOS-vision-odd-1.png

Displays a sequence of events:

The leftmost image is when I open the map from IMAGES, and all looks as I'd expect
The centre image is when I mouse over the character, no clicking, and everything goes black, no interaction at all, just mousing over character avatar
The rightmost image is when I click the character's avatar

Whether the character has darkvision X, or truesight X, or blindsight X ... the result is the same. Where in the attached example X = 10. I can change X to be 15 or 20 and see the same result, just a bigger vision circle around the avatar. I have other battlemaps in this campaign that have a lot more LOS and a lot more light sources ... and they don't give me grief. So I thought, well this is weird, and I decided to try and see what would happen if i loaded this campaign as a module in a gaming campaign. Would I experience the same in a gaming campaign that has a lot more things to load into memory and also has a number of extensions? Yes I would experience the exact same thing!!!

So I thought ... delete the image from the campaign. Close FGU. Wait a couple seconds and make sure no more running processes in task manager. Restart FGU, open campaign, re-add the image and then draw new LOS, add new light sources ...
and poof! Problem persists!?!?!?

How?!?! I don't get it!

The 2nd attachment: screenshot_FGU_LOS-vision-odd-2.png is to show my LOS walls, and to show where the glowing mushroom light sources are located
The 3rd attachment: FGU_battlemap_snippet.xml.zip is a copy of the xml code for that map

skj310
July 8th, 2021, 08:49
and apologies for not including an attachment of the map, but it's a paid for image and so i don't think its right to include it within the forums.

Moon Wizard
July 8th, 2021, 18:51
I'm not sure that I'm following what the issue is exactly.

The last image looks like it is only showing fog-of-war with no lighting/vision; as if the lighting went away. The mushroom light icons look dimmed out; as if they are disabled (i.e. turned off) and the token does not look like it has any lights on it.

We'd need more information; and probably a copy of the entire campaign folder to see what is going on.

Regards,
JPG

skj310
July 9th, 2021, 00:05
Apologies for obtuseness. Everything discussed is strictly from the GM's point of view.

The last image looks like it is only showing fog-of-war with no lighting/vision; as if the lighting went away.
Yes, 100% correct! That's the problem.

First I didn't expect that on mousing over the token, that would cause all the light sources and vision to go black.
Then on clicking the token, giving it focus, I didn't expect everything to turn black and white with no blurring at the edges.
What I DID expect, on clicking the token, should be a blending of the first and last image: colours remain, blurred edges, LOS

Token's charactersheet has configured "Truesight 10" on it's senses
Mushroom's are light sources with:
- bright = 0, falloff = 25
- dim = 5, falloff = 50
- shadows = on
- colour = light green

The mushroom light icons look dimmed out; as if they are disabled (i.e. turned off) and the token does not look like it has any lights on it.
All mushroom light sources are meant to be DIM only with no BRIGHT, as shown with config above. The token certainly has vision configured.

We'd need more information; and probably a copy of the entire campaign folder to see what is going on.
Ok, see attached. But note that I removed the battlemaps. If you need that as well then I can send, but not via the forum.

One thing I noted. I've a new DELL monitor with 2560x1440 resolution versus my old monitor 1920x1200. So I changed my UI from 100% to 105%. That is one thing that's changed. When I reverted to back to 100% I saw a slightly different behaviour. I noticed that the colours remained but that on clicking the token, the blurring of the DIM portion of the light source turns GREY and there is no blurring.

Moon Wizard
July 9th, 2021, 03:26
I need the whole campaign with map. You can send to [email protected]

However, I'm concerned that you think that the lighting should somehow be different when you are already at dim lighting at a fast dim falloff, but it's actually correct. Remember that fog-of-war is additive, and may actually be showing as bright as your dim lights, since they are so dim.

Regards,
JPG

skj310
July 10th, 2021, 03:52
Ahh ... I see that you mean with the fog of war! Since the map was so small the effect was very pronounced, but I do see your point about fog of war. That being said i understand how that should be what i am getting at, I think, is different.

Specifically, when I click the token it's vision isn't there. That's not right, there should be a truesight 10 foot bubble around it.
As well the very sharp black and white 5 black and white bubble around the light sources is also suspiciously odd.

Anyway am sending the full campaign folder as requested.

I hope that i'm not just seeing dragons here, but it seems really odd.

I should mention that using other battlemaps in the campaign, and I have noticed similar behaviour. Those files are much larger and so candle type light sources its hard to notice the effect, but when I zoom in, close and open the map, then click the token ... same thing is observed.

Moon Wizard
July 11th, 2021, 15:36
Ok, I'm using the campaign files that you sent now; and I'm seeing what I expect. (see attached images)

* Can you verify that the version in the upper right of the launcher reads v4.1.4 on launch screen?
* Which operating system are you running on?
* Anything else you can think of that might be unique to your system or setup?

Regards,
JPG

skj310
July 12th, 2021, 11:06
Far out! Those pics of yours speak volumes! How can I love that it worked for you and hate that it didn't for me! Sigh! Ok let me start with answering your questions:

Can you verify that the version in the upper right of the launcher reads v4.1.4 on launch screen?
Verified and validated as "v4.1.4 ULTIMATE (2021-06-08)

Which operating system are you running on?
Linux of the debian flavour (which is equivalent to ubuntu 20.04):

dagobah@crimsonnib:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Linuxmint
Description: Linux Mint 20.1
Release: 20.1
Codename: ulyssa

Anything else you can think of that might be unique to your system or setup?
What might be different? Good question!? The only thing that comes to mind is that i moved from 2x 24" monitors to 1x 24" and 1x27" monitor. A DELL U2412M and S2721DGF. I had wondered if the new DELL S2721DGF might be a cause because it's a gaming monitor that's generally much faster than other monitor. So I unplugged it and tried exclusively on the 24" and my results were exactly as I expect and as shown in your photos. With the 27" gaming monitor by itself? Same ... WTF?!?!? Ok what in the sam-hell is going on here!?!? I unplugged my dual monitor setup to test each monitor separately ... thinking "how can this be related? this can't be related!" It worked as expected on the 24" by itself and then on the 27" by itself. Now i've both plugged in again. Both DP cables and now i'm seeing the expected result. This isn't making any sense to me!?!?! I had reboot the computer a few times, you know standard solve the problem idea ... reboot! That didn't fix it and the problem persisted as described above. This time around .. no reboot ... just unplug the monitors separately and then its working?!?!? How?!?!

Call me utterly mystified!

Please CLOSE this issue! I am thinking that it must be related to the nvidia driver on LX ... but that's just a guess. -shrug-

Thanks for the help MW!

Moon Wizard
July 12th, 2021, 17:32
All I can say is that Linux users have much more patience than I do. :)

Cheers,
JPG