PDA

View Full Version : RMC: so many steps to complete an attack with a critical hit?

Galdor
July 6th, 2021, 14:55
Hi,
I recently bought RMC (and the Companion). I wonder how many steps/clicks I have to make to complete an attack which scored a critical hit:
- roll the attack dice;
- click to resolve the result;
- click to apply the result; if a critical is scored
- roll the d100;
- drag and drop the result on the critical table;
- click to apply the outcome of the critical table.

Couldn't it be more easy to roll the attack dice and FG makes automatically all the steps above, giving/applying the final critical result? If someone wishes to detail all the steps above, in order to adjust any modifier, there could be just an option to allow it..

Dakadin
July 6th, 2021, 16:32
Hi Galdor,

For the most part that could be automated that way but the problem is there are situations where that wouldn't work. For example, the Large and Super-Large critical tables have columns for the type of attack that caused the critical and right now there is no way to specify if it is magic, mithril, holy or slaying. The slaying one is especially problematic. Also the current version new Apply button doesn't handle attacks that apply multiple criticals. The GM still needs to right click on the result to apply those results. I am working on getting that to work with the apply button but need to figure out the best way to handle it.

I plan on adding an option to automatically roll the critical and select the correct cell so that it happens automatically when clicking the Apply button.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how you would like to see it done.

Thanks,
Dakadin

Galdor
July 6th, 2021, 18:09
Hi Galdor,

For the most part that could be automated that way but the problem is there are situations where that wouldn't work. For example, the Large and Super-Large critical tables have columns for the type of attack that caused the critical and right now there is no way to specify if it is magic, mithril, holy or slaying. The slaying one is especially problematic. Also the current version new Apply button doesn't handle attacks that apply multiple criticals. The GM still needs to right click on the result to apply those results. I am working on getting that to work with the apply button but need to figure out the best way to handle it.
Thank you Dakadin. These are bad news (for me): this way of complete an attack requires too many steps for me. Maybe a way to speed it up a bit is to cut off the click to resolve and the click to apply (at least), that is the second and the third bullet of the list above..

Dakadin
July 6th, 2021, 19:16
Hi Galdor,

Yes, those are possibilities also that I can add. The issue that might occur with removing the click to resolve is when more than one roll needs the Table Resolver. It would have to overwrite the previous roll or ignore the new roll. I could definitely add an option to automatically apply the attack result.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of an application that resolves attacks and criticals in Rolemaster faster or with less clicking around?

The new apply button actually was implemented a month or 2 ago and it greatly reduced the amount of effort to resolve attacks and criticals. It actually goes really fast for me. Here is what I do to help speed things up. I leave the Table Resolver at it's smallest size right next to the chat window. Then I put the combat tracker to the right of that. This allows me to roll the attack on the Combat Tracker. Then move to the Table Resolver and click the Resolve button. Then I just verify the modifiers since occasionally I forget to include something that I wanted to include. If everything looks good, I click the Apply button. This opens the result table so I just roll a d100 at the bottom of the chat window and drag the result to the result table. My players like to hear the results so I read it off while I am clicking the Apply button for the critical. Hopefully that helps but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

Galdor
July 8th, 2021, 21:55
Thank you Dakadin.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of an application that resolves attacks and criticals in Rolemaster faster or with less clicking around?

Absolutely not. But Dungeon Crawl Classic here on FG resolves the roll to hit, several kind of criticals, etc with just one click/step... You click to make the attack, and if the attack is a critical FG resolves automatically the critical, applying the appropriate critical table (which are differents, depending on the character class, level, etc).

I definitely hope you could overcome the following issues:

For the most part that could be automated that way but the problem is there are situations where that wouldn't work. For example, the Large and Super-Large critical tables have columns for the type of attack that caused the critical and right now there is no way to specify if it is magic, mithril, holy or slaying. The slaying one is especially problematic.

Ardem
July 9th, 2021, 03:18
Galdor, the issue is not with the ruleset it is rolemaster in general it a very complex system and unlike DnD there are several "if then" type queries in the rules that make automation very hard.

Coming from 20 years of playing Rolemaster, there is 1000 rules and so much home brew stuff, you do not want to much automation otherwise you ruin other fun.

What make Rolemaster for me better the DnD is that it is complex and has has layering of rules, but this makes it a slow experience in combat it more akin to wargaming in combat they it is DnD. But for me and I am guessing much of the fan base of Rolemaster is why it a major attraction.

esmdev
July 9th, 2021, 04:21
Once I got used to the general flow of combat my Rolemaster combats were much faster with the ruleset. For decades I've said that Rolemaster would be better computerized and it is. Imagine that each click is taking the place of flipping through the book, finding the appropriate table, then comparing the roll to the appropriate column which may then reference you to a critical table elsewhere, which starts again. It does take a few sessions to get used to the click/drag handling, but once familiarity sets in, saves SO much time.

Galdor
July 9th, 2021, 09:33
Thank you esmdev and Ardem.

I do like the detail level of Rolemaster, and I always hoped - as esmdev - the following

For decades I've said that Rolemaster would be better computerized
I am just asking to speed up the current combat flow here on FG: I just hope that one day we could resolve all the attack (and critical) with just one click :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 9th, 2021, 11:56
My group and I also want this, marking or dragging our attack against the target, being a critical hit the die is already rolled automatically applying damage + critical effects. another thing we would like is a better herb manager, to find herbs during expeditions. I started playing a little while ago and I realize that a lot of things are ignored not because they are difficult, complex or powerful, but because of why, or for the simple fact that oh, I didn't want to spend 5 minutes reading this to understand how it works. or it's too complicated, it takes too long to do it this way or that...

Dakadin
July 9th, 2021, 19:45
For those of you trying to still use dragging to the target, the new Apply button the Table Resolver actually handles most cases without issue. The only reason to drag is if you want to adjust the result on the fly. If that is the case drag it to the defender/target on the Table Resolver instead of trying to track down the target. It will apply the result automatically and you can use the link if you need to get to any additional information.

Also, I am hoping to be able to provide options so just the attack can be rolled and it will figure out and apply any results. As I mentioned before, I have to handle all the one-off situations and Rolemaster unfortunately has quite a few of them. The more I look into it the more I am finding them. That means that until I can get all of those situations handled, I can't fully automate it to just rolling the attack to generate it all. It is definitely planned but I still have quite a bit to do for the ruleset to make things easier for GMs and PCs.

Rainbird
July 9th, 2021, 21:47
For those of you trying to still use dragging to the target, the new Apply button the Table Resolver actually handles most cases without issue. The only reason to drag is if you want to adjust the result on the fly. If that is the case drag it to the defender/target on the Table Resolver instead of trying to track down the target. It will apply the result automatically and you can use the link if you need to get to any additional information.

Also, I am hoping to be able to provide options so just the attack can be rolled and it will figure out and apply any results. As I mentioned before, I have to handle all the one-off situations and Rolemaster unfortunately has quite a few of them. The more I look into it the more I am finding them. That means that until I can get all of those situations handled, I can't fully automate it to just rolling the attack to generate it all. It is definitely planned but I still have quite a bit to do for the ruleset to make things easier for GMs and PCs.

Dakadin - the current system as you've designed it is super smooth. A one click attack takes the critical roll away from the PCs - and my PCs love the added expectation of that critical roll - so much hangs on that roll.

My players (who are Rolemaster players since the late 80s) are blown away by how slick FG RM is.

Regards - Rainbird

Dakadin
July 9th, 2021, 22:36
Dakadin - the current system as you've designed it is super smooth. A one click attack takes the critical roll away from the PCs - and my PCs love the added expectation of that critical roll - so much hangs on that roll.

My players (who are Rolemaster players since the late 80s) are blown away by how slick FG RM is.

Regards - Rainbird

No need to worry. It will be an option and not the default. I agree that the PCs like rolling the criticals and hearing the results, at least they do in my game. I just want to provide it as an option for those that want it. I will likely create a new section in the Options just for the Table Resolver since I can see quite a few different levels of automation that people will want and I never want to lock someone into playing a certain way if I can help it. :)

Galdor
July 9th, 2021, 22:50
Thank you so much Dakadin: these are very good news!! We really do hope you would overcome all the issues...

Sidenote: maybe you could just streamline some Rolemaster rule, perhaps ignoring those tricky rules which arise some issue in programming...

Galdor
January 26th, 2022, 08:21
Any update about this?

No need to worry. It will be an option and not the default. I agree that the PCs like rolling the criticals and hearing the results, at least they do in my game. I just want to provide it as an option for those that want it. I will likely create a new section in the Options just for the Table Resolver since I can see quite a few different levels of automation that people will want and I never want to lock someone into playing a certain way if I can help it. :)
Has such option (to resolve whole the attack, including the critical roll, with just one click) been created?

Dakadin
January 26th, 2022, 16:46
No, it hasn't and it might not be possible with all the different possibilities that require the GM's input without adding a ton of extra options which might just confuse things. Every item at a minimum would need to be marked as normal, magic, mithril, holy and/or slaying. There was more too it but I don't remember it all right now.

Galdor
January 26th, 2022, 17:26
No, it hasn't and it might not be possible with all the different possibilities that require the GM's input without adding a ton of extra options which might just confuse things. Every item at a minimum would need to be marked as normal, magic, mithril, holy and/or slaying. There was more too it but I don't remember it all right now.

What a pity :(
I have honestly purchased DCC ruleset because with just one click it resolves whole the attack, including the critical...and in DCC there are several kinds of criticals too (different critical tables for classes and levels!!)

Dakadin
January 26th, 2022, 18:09
Yes, but it is much easier to check a class or level to find a table. RM is much more open ended in how things are resolved so it complicates things. Currently the things I mentioned would need to be added before it could even move forward.

Have you found anything that allows you to run RM combat faster, where it doesn't it all in one click? If so I would like to see how they did it.

Dakadin
January 26th, 2022, 18:48
One other option is you could make an extension to run the combat the way you want it to run.

Galdor
January 29th, 2022, 08:54
Yes, but it is much easier to check a class or level to find a table. RM is much more open ended in how things are resolved so it complicates things.
DCC checks class and level; does not RM check only weapon (axe, sword, etc) - or size of the creature (large etc) - and weapon material (mithril ecc)?!

Have you found anything that allows you to run RM combat faster, where it doesn't it all in one click? If so I would like to see how they did it.
Absolutely not, I haven't found, but my point of view is different. I am not a player who 'wants to play the best RM', but a player who 'wants to play a fantasy ruleset with crunchies similar to RM' (like levels, classes, races, several kind of criticals etc) instead. From this point of view, a ruleset like DCC is far more faster than RM, with a lot of 'just-one-click' automatons..

QuirkyBirky
January 29th, 2022, 11:08
The fact that you have to apply the result means that the GM can actually check that they're happy with everything first. Has the attack roll taken into account the OB/DB split; has it included rear/flank bonus; have any applicable penalties due to previous criticals been taken into account; has the player targetted the correct NPC/monster (my players have done this more than once).

I don't know one player who doesn't want to roll their own criticals. If you've managed to score a critical then you've earnt the right to roll it. It's like not being able to roll your own damage rolls in other games.

As for applying criticals, there's a chance that it might need to be modified due to a skill like ambush or sniping. Automatically applying it would not give you the opportunity to do this. Also, some GMs use fate points, and a popular use of these is to modify criticals that would otherwise be fatal.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of variables to consider, and you can add into that the fact that there are players who have played Rolemaster for 30+ years who like to put their own spin on things.

Rolemaster is not DCC. From what I understand, DCC is based on D&D 3e (please correct me if I'm wrong). Rolemaster was originally designed to add much more depth to D&D, and eventually developed into a complete system. It will never be as slick as D&D (which has always been an entry level RPG) or a D&D clone as there is far more to take into account.

I'm sure there are ways to make the combat in FG RMC slicker, and Dakadin has improved the FG ruleset greatly and continues to do so, but you can't dumb it down into a single click mechanic.

Galdor
January 29th, 2022, 14:05
I'm sure there are ways to make the combat in FG RMC slicker, and Dakadin has improved the FG ruleset greatly and continues to do so, but you can't dumb it down into a single click mechanic.
Dakadin did a great job on FG RMC, and I seldom played RMC on tabletop: I am not a 30+ years RM player, even if I definitely am a 30+ TTRPG player.
Anyway, my point is that FG automatons could offer the possibility to play RMC smoother, "with just one click". For you that means "dumb it down", for me it means speeding it up!
What I really do like of RMC is the great variery of its criticals results and I'd like to enjoy them without wasting time with so many "check this, check this" steps, which are totally uninteresting for me.

Rainbird
January 29th, 2022, 15:22
I'm sure there are ways to make the combat in FG RMC slicker, and Dakadin has improved the FG ruleset greatly and continues to do so, but you can't dumb it down into a single click mechanic.[/QUOTE]

For me, Quirky has skewered the issue with his response. Accommodating as Dakadin is, I can't see how he could modify RMC to a one roll critical system without a whole shopping list of optional tick boxes as long as your arm.

I could see how you could take the MERP critical tables and use those with no modifiers allowed (ambush etc) for a quicker result but I think you'd be talking of a whole new system on FG not 'just a few modifications' to the existing (and IMHO as close to perfect) ruleset.

Much as long time players of RMC (I've been playing MERP and RM since the 80s) encourage people new to the system to try it out, it's very different from D&D/DCC et la and granted, the transition is a bit of a hill to climb. But, the view from the top is magnificent.

Long story long; keep using the current system and you and your players will get quicker and may come to enjoy that critical roll (as Quirky alluded to) you appear so keen to remove.

Rainbird

Galdor
January 29th, 2022, 16:06
Much as long time players of RMC (I've been playing MERP and RM since the 80s) encourage people new to the system to try it out, it's very different from D&D/DCC et la and granted, the transition is a bit of a hill to climb. But, the view from the top is magnificent.
Thank you for your valuable suggestions, Rainbird, but I don't have to make any transition from D&D/DCC (or similia) to RMC: in my 30+ years of TTRPGs experience I played a great variety of different systems (including Merp/RM/Harp/Starmaster etc), both 'old school' systems and 'indie/the_forge' ones.. I do know RM logics and I think to be able to appreciate its strenghts: as I wrote, from my humble point of view the only one reason I would play RMC is for its great variety of critical results. Full stop. I do not want to waste time in some 'rear attack bonus + this other bonus' tactics/logics:

Anyway, my point is that FG automatons could offer the possibility to play RMC smoother, "with just one click". For you that means "dumb it down", for me it means speeding it up!
What I really do like of RMC is the great variery of its criticals results and I'd like to enjoy them without wasting time with so many "check this, check this" steps, which are totally uninteresting for me.

What I think could be a great improvement (for RMC ruleset) is to get all that bunch of different criticals in just one click, to exploit them in the fiction with ease!
Let the system makes all the calculations and just give me the final result:)

QuirkyBirky
January 29th, 2022, 16:20

Unfortunately it amounts to the same. Speed it up by automating things and you lose some of the complexity that makes Rolemaster what it is.

The criticals, and fumbles, are often what people remember about Rolemaster. Unfortunately I think you'd lose out by automating that side of things. The anticipation of making a high attack roll, then being told you've scored an E critical. Then making the critical roll, hoping for something in the 90's or that elusive 66.

In my group, we still talk of the time I defeated the bad guy NPC with an incredibly fortuitous 'A' Unbalancing critical (maybe 28 years ago?). With an automated system, the relevance of the type of critical, the critical severity and the roll itself would be lost in the chat window, and you'd simply have the critical result and it would be forgotten in an instant.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2022, 16:25
What I think could be a great improvement (for RMC ruleset) is to get all that bunch of different criticals in just one click, to exploit them in the fiction with ease!
Let the system makes all the calculations and just give me the final result:)
As Rainbird mentions, to do a "one click" operation, to keep the Rolemaster RPG system operating correctly, there would then need to be "a whole shopping list of optional tick boxes as long as your arm" - and it still probably wouldn't cover all options.

Rolemaster on Fantasy Grounds is an official product that needs to maintain the features and functionality of the official RPG system. To do this fully the FG ruleset can't comprehensively resolve attacks, damage and criticals all with a single click - unless you heavily load the front end with a big long list of tick boxes/number entry fields (which still probably wouldn't cover all possible options within the whole process). If you want to run combats differently then that's fine, but I doubt something like this will be put in the official ruleset - and therefore I refer you to Dakadin's reply in post #18: "One other option is you could make an extension to run the combat the way you want it to run." That's what's great about Fantasy Grounds - if you want to run something your way then you have the option to learn how to make modifications in Fantasy Grounds and write your own extension.

QuirkyBirky
January 29th, 2022, 16:25
Of course Rolemaster started off as various tables intended to be used with D&D. If you've got the relevant skills, you could potentially take the necessary tables and call them from a DCC/D&D game.

JohnD
January 29th, 2022, 17:07
You have to be careful making changes to Rolemaster because of that invisible turtle that's always getting in the way and tripping people up.

Galdor
January 29th, 2022, 18:29
The criticals, and fumbles, are often what people remember about Rolemaster. Unfortunately I think you'd lose out by automating that side of things. The anticipation of making a high attack roll, then being told you've scored an E critical. Then making the critical roll, hoping for something in the 90's or that elusive 66.

In my group, we still talk of the time I defeated the bad guy NPC with an incredibly fortuitous 'A' Unbalancing critical (maybe 28 years ago?).
Different perspectives: in my groups we still remind that critical with the dwarf morning star which broke the jaw of the troll, not the 93 + 44 + 26 - 15 - 27 + 5 which conducted to that fiction result..

if you want to run something your way then you have the option to learn how to make modifications in Fantasy Grounds and write your own extension.
Unfortunately I barely know what an extension is, and I have absolutely no time (neither proficiency) to learn it. I would like to pay a (RMC) ruleset which could make a "one click" operation (like other rulesets do), a ruleset which makes all the attack calculations letting me enjoy the final result of them: if such operation is (at the moment) impossible to realize, I simply will not buy a 'too-many-steps-to-make-an-attack' ruleset..

I could understand the RM grognard players point of view, but I would like to point out that FG automatons could (one day?) offer the possibility to play RMC smoother, making all the calculations behind the screen without bogging down with them, just enjoying the final results and maybe widening the fan base doing so..

Trenloe
January 29th, 2022, 20:03
Different perspectives: in my groups we still remind that critical with the dwarf morning star which broke the jaw of the troll, not the 93 + 44 + 26 - 15 - 27 + 5 which conducted to that fiction result..
That's not at all what QuirkyBirky was saying. Nowhere does he mention raw numbers - he describes the process adding to the anticipation of the final result. Doing all of this in one go, and just looking at the final result would detract from the anticipation of the series of successful (or unsuccessful in the case of a fumble) steps that lead to the final result.

I would like to pay a (RMC) ruleset which could make a "one click" operation (like other rulesets do), a ruleset which makes all the attack calculations letting me enjoy the final result of them: if such operation is (at the moment) impossible to realize, I simply will not buy a 'too-many-steps-to-make-an-attack' ruleset..
The Fantasy Grounds design philosophy for all rulesets that have a multi-step attack process (e.g. roll to hit/succeed in the attack, do a follow up damage/critical) has been to have the process be multi-step within Fantasy Grounds - so that the GM can adjudicate between each step and ensure that everything is applied correctly - players forget things sometimes, special abilities might need to be applied, the GM may want to use GM FIAT as part of the story, etc., etc..

I'm not aware of any FG ruleset, with a multi-step process, that has code to do the whole process with one click. You mention DCC does this - I'm only vaguely familiar with DCC, but doing a quick check - weapons have the standard attack roll, then (if a hit) a separate roll for damage. For spells, the check on the table is rolled, but then the resulting damage/effects need to be applied with additional button clicks. See in the screenshot below - the roll of 29 on the spell table displays the resulting text in the chat window and it's up to the player to apply the damage and effects with the action buttons in the spell.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51231

Coding a ruleset is already a monumental task just to get it to a usable state, without trying to add a high level of automation that could need to be rolled back if there was something that needed to be changed for many different reasons (errors, abilities triggering, etc.) - having the two-step process gives everyone more flexibility in how they adjudicate actions (and maybe apply house rules, etc.) and reduces the amount of development time considerably.

I know you want a single click process - but, for the reasons outlined by multiple people above, this is just not realistic (in terms of the amount of development work), can cause issues with having to roll-back the result, and doesn't lend itself to representing the RPG system correctly. I don't want to put words in Dakadin's mouth, but based off his responses in this thread I highly doubt whether he is going to spend a considerable amount of development time doing something like this - especially as the majority of the ruleset users aren't clamouring for this feature.

In the end, there's no wrong way to play an RPG - do what is best for you and your group. But, when it comes to Fantasy Grounds, the design philosophy for things like this is to make the process use multiple steps as it allows more flexibility (cater for errors, abilities, house rules, GM FIAT, etc., etc.) and keeps already considerable ruleset development times down.

Galdor
January 29th, 2022, 22:27
That's not at all what QuirkyBirky was saying. Nowhere does he mention raw numbers - he describes the process adding to the anticipation of the final result. Doing all of this in one go, and just looking at the final result would detract from the anticipation of the series of successful (or unsuccessful in the case of a fumble) steps that lead to the final result.
If the steps you are talking about are the followings...

Has the attack roll taken into account the OB/DB split; has it included rear/flank bonus; have any applicable penalties due to previous criticals been taken into account; has the player targetted the correct NPC/monster (my players have done this more than once)
...well, I am not interested in these not so exciting steps ;)

Joking apart, I fully understand what follows:

The Fantasy Grounds design philosophy for all rulesets that have a multi-step attack process (e.g. roll to hit/succeed in the attack, do a follow up damage/critical) has been to have the process be multi-step within Fantasy Grounds - so that the GM can adjudicate between each step and ensure that everything is applied correctly - players forget things sometimes, special abilities might need to be applied, the GM may want to use GM FIAT as part of the story, etc., etc..
Some remarks about you wrote:
- Basically most of the rulesets have a 2 steps combat structure:
1 - "to hit" roll
(if the character hits)> 2 - "damage" roll

My call to DCC is that such ruleset, if you hit and make a critical, automatically rolls the critical and depicts the results. You have to make the damage roll anyway, but the critical is automatically rolled if triggered.. I think it's a great time saver.

- I personally find surmountables the following reasons to structure the combat in the (above) 2 steps:

Has the attack roll taken into account the OB/DB split; has it included rear/flank bonus; have any applicable penalties due to previous criticals been taken into account; has the player targetted the correct NPC/monster (my players have done this more than once)
If the reason should be to check if all the modifiers have been correctly applied, well, I think it could be more convenient to invest programming time in enhancing the corrrect application of such modifiers (correcting/limiting such system errors?)..

If the reason to structure the combat in the (above) 2 steps is to give to the player a chance to decide if and how many optional special abilities to involve, well, it could be a plausible reason to make two steps..

I guess that the main reason to structure the combat in the (above) 2 steps - in most of FGU rulesets - is (was) to reproduce what happens in the real gaming table (in presence): a player makes 2 rolls in real life/game, just that.
My point is that FGU could go beyond this 'traditional' structure: since it's a programme, it could speed up all the calculations/steps!
I (we?) play rpgs to tell stories, not to make algebra exercises..

I can't remember so well (I tested RMC ruleset some months ago, then I gave it back for the reasons I am trying to clarify) but my impression was that it has too many (unnecessary) steps to resolve a combat...do I remind wrongly?

Dakadin
January 29th, 2022, 22:57
If the reason should be to check if all the modifiers have been correctly applied, well, I think it could be more convenient to invest programming time in enhancing the corrrect application of such modifiers (correcting/limiting such system errors?)..

If the reason to structure the combat in the (above) 2 steps is to give to the player a chance to decide if and how many optional special abilities to involve, well, it could be a plausible reason to make two steps..

I guess that the main reason to structure the combat in the (above) 2 steps - in most of FGU rulesets - is (was) to reproduce what happens in the real gaming table (in presence): a player makes 2 rolls in real life/game, just that.

In the RMC ruleset, there are two rolls. The difference is the first roll in RMC is to hit and determines damage. The second is to determine the critical so it is similar to other rulesets in that sense.

It currently allows you to make adjustments to modifiers, etc. like you mention. In order to be able to do that you need to stop at some point. That is why you have to click Resolve since how do you do that when you have multiple targets or rolls to resolve at the same time? If you don't stop to do that and the wrong critical result is applied then cleaning that up takes quite a bit of time.

My point is that FGU could go beyond this 'traditional' structure: since it's a programme, it could speed up all the calculations/steps!
I (we?) play rpgs to tell stories, not to make algebra exercises..

It already does that. I think you are assuming that all these steps take a long time. RM combats outside of FG can take hours to do a few rounds depending on the number or people in the combat. With FG, I can do the same thing in a small fraction of the time it would take any other way.

The other thing that I think you might be missing is that it isn't about just finding the correct critical table. There are multiple types of tables in RM that just resolve around the table resolver: attack, critical, fumble, movement maneuvers, resistance rolls, etc. Each of those tables has different requirements to get the appropriate value needed. Then there are the exceptions that can happen with the critical tables like when you have critical reduction or use the large or super large critical tables for an NPC. Just implementing the Apply button to speed that up took quite a bit of effort and I still haven't got all the possibilities to work. So it is quite a bit of work and when I looked into it when you first brought it up there were even more complications than I originally thought.

Would I like to add it as an option for a GM that wants to run things that way? Definitely but it isn't as simple as it is in other rulesets because of how RM works. It is just different. I don't know if you can modify the critical tables in DCC but if you can then can't you just add some of the RM results to that so you have what you want?

Dakadin

esmdev
January 29th, 2022, 23:12
Galdor, you want what you want, I'm happy with what we currently have, so I would object to the implementation of your suggestion.

Galdor
January 29th, 2022, 23:27
I think you are assuming that all these steps take a long time. RM combats outside of FG can take hours to do a few rounds depending on the number or people in the combat.
I know that, thank you. You maybe missed what I wrote some posts earlier: you made an amazing job on RMC ruleset :o
I simply think it could be improved even more..

Would I like to add it as an option for a GM that wants to run things that way? Definitely but it isn't as simple as it is in other rulesets because of how RM works. It is just different.
Understood. I just hope that one day you will be able to improve that, not for me, but for everyone looks for the automatons/speed-up I underlined.
If/when you'll do it, I will buy RMC ruleset for sure :)

Dakadin
January 30th, 2022, 00:10
I know that, thank you. You maybe missed what I wrote some posts earlier: you made an amazing job on RMC ruleset :o
I simply think it could be improved even more..

Understood. I just hope that one day you will be able to improve that, not for me, but for everyone looks for the automatons/speed-up I underlined.
If/when you'll do it, I will buy RMC ruleset for sure :)

I didn't miss it and I do appreciate it. I just wanted to explain why it is more complicated than it would seem.