PDA

View Full Version : DCC Lankhmar Box Set Is Coming to Fantasy Grounds!

leozelig
July 1st, 2021, 22:30
Last night, I started working on a conversion of the DCC Lankhmar Box Set from Goodman Games. I expect this to be a set of modules (judge and player versions of the books and the adventure) and an extension for the DCC ruleset. You will need to own the DCC Ruleset to use the Lankhmar Box Set. Here's a little peek at what I have so far...

Tabarkus
July 2nd, 2021, 04:38
Cool!

leozelig
July 7th, 2021, 21:17
Progress being made. Going to move on to NPCs, Items, and Spells, then the adventure. The DCC Lankhmar extension will require some new features, such as Benisons and Dooms and Patron Dice. I will likely create space for Benisons and Dooms on the Abilities tab. The Patron Die is a little trickier, but I'm thinking the Diety & Patrons section of the Notes tab is a good place to start.

bayne7400
July 7th, 2021, 22:47
Nice! I don't have to enter it!

Tabarkus
July 8th, 2021, 04:25
I already entered it; but the added functionality will make it worth purchasing!

leozelig
July 9th, 2021, 10:57
How are you guys managing the patron die?

For those who aren't familiar, the patron die is unique to each patron and is used with a specific table, granting bonuses depending on the action type. My plan is to change the 'Deities & Patrons' section of the Notes tab to a list (separate line for each patron) and then add a cycler for the patron die and a roll button to trigger the roll. A custom table could be specified with a details button in the section header. Maybe the roll button should go at the top of the char sheet (next to fleeting luck) since it applies to various action types, but if you have multiple patrons with different patron dice, you need to be able to specify which patron you are rolling for. Looking for ideas ;)

leozelig
July 9th, 2021, 11:18
The other feature I plan to add is parsing a deed die from an NPC attack line. Currently you can specify a die, but the ruleset treats it as the primary action die. I'm thinking if the die is a d10 or less, then I will treat it as a bonus die (deed or otherwise) instead of an action die.

Tabarkus
July 9th, 2021, 17:17
I've have yet to run a game using the Lankhmar rules; I've read over the box set and played in a few games but the patron die were not involved. What you're suggesting sounds functional, but I have little insight.

leozelig
July 10th, 2021, 17:31
I'm working on Benisons & Dooms right now, and I decided to lump these into a library category called Origins. I will probably add a new section to the Abilities tab for these, but another option is to just list these under Features since you might only have 2. Another question I have right now is how to indicate the region-specific Benisons - add a field to the record or just have players refer to the ref manual?

leozelig
July 11th, 2021, 13:27
Doing some more work on Benisons & Dooms. I decided to make a new section on the char sheet since the Goodman Games char sheets have one. As you can see in the screenshot, when Type = 'Benison' then the Luck Cost and Region-Specific fields are visible. When you lock the record, the checkbox for the Region-Specific field disappears. On the library list, you can search by Type (Benison or Doom), Place, and Region-Specific (Yes or No).

leozelig
July 11th, 2021, 16:23
A preview of some character sheet changes...

Occupation field is replaced with PLACE OF ORIGIN
New PLACE OF ORIGIN dialog box with NEIGHBORHOOD/QUARTER and HANGOUT fields
Alignment field is now labeled ALIGNMENT/PATH
BENISONS & DOOMS list added to Abilities tab

leozelig
July 12th, 2021, 21:05
Lots of data entry this weekend... Next on my list: images and tokens, the short adventure, and finally the reference manual.

leozelig
July 21st, 2021, 18:14
With the content finished (except for ref manual formatting), I have been working on some new features for Lankhmar. I converted the 'Deities & Patrons' section on the Notes tab to a list with a patron die field and a roll button for that. I am also adding a deed die to the NPC record, which I will probably apply to the regular DCC ruleset as well. I don't have all the functionality running yet, but the screenshot shows a preview. I plan to add a deed roll button to the combat tracker for NPCs. Alternatively, I could set it up to auto-roll the deed die, but this poses the same issue with multiple attacks per round rolling a new deed die for each attack. Officially, you only roll the deed die once per round and apply the bonus to all attacks/damage for that round.

leozelig
July 22nd, 2021, 13:38
NPCs will display the deed roll button if they have a deed die. As you can see in the screenshot, the constable does not have a deed die; therefore, the deed roll button is hidden. The deed result will add to the attack and damage bonus. The sequence would be: (1) roll deed die, (2) roll attack, and (3) roll damage on a successful hit. If for some reason you need to adjust this bonus manually, you can access the result field on the NPC record (see screenshot in post #13).

leozelig
July 22nd, 2021, 13:46
Since we are accumulating some non-standard fields on the NPC record, I set the tab targets to the standard fields only so you can quickly tab through while entering NPC stats from a published module. The only one you might skip over is hit points as these are not always specified in the NPC stat block.

Here are the "standard" fields:
Initiative
Attacks
Armor Class
Hit Dice
Hit Points
Speed
Action Dice
SP (special properties)
Saving Throws - Fort, Ref, Will
Alignment

bayne7400
July 22nd, 2021, 15:25
This is great Leo. I cant wait to see it.

leozelig
July 28th, 2021, 03:56
I'm more than halfway through the reference manual. I'm hoping to start putting everything together for submission this weekend...

leozelig
July 29th, 2021, 15:31
Well, everything is looking good. I just need to package up the extension files and screenshots for the store. I'm planning to carry over a couple features, like the NPC deed die field since that has broader usage beyond just Lankhmar. Here's one last screenshot, searching for optional rules in the reference manual (aside from the entire supplement being an optional rule of course).

ProfDogg
August 3rd, 2021, 16:58
Hey! I saw one of the modules dropped today. Box set coming behind it pretty soon?

Tabarkus
August 3rd, 2021, 17:18
Woo hoo! I'm up for playing in a weekday game if anyone is going to run one!

leozelig
August 3rd, 2021, 17:44
I submitted the boxed set, so hopefully it will move quickly through the review process. I have a handful of Lankhmar modules I wouldn’t mind running.

ProfDogg
August 10th, 2021, 20:18
I submitted the boxed set, so hopefully it will move quickly through the review process. I have a handful of Lankhmar modules I wouldn’t mind running.

Well looks like two more modules hit the store...

leozelig
August 11th, 2021, 22:10
Yeah, I need to check whether the Lankhmar extension should live in the DCC ruleset instead of the Lankhmar Boxed Set.

ProfDogg
August 18th, 2021, 23:40
Any word on the release for it @leozelig?

Jiminimonka
August 19th, 2021, 00:03
Any word on the release for it @leozelig?

Soon. Once it's sent in QA take a look and then it get posted to live.

leozelig
August 19th, 2021, 01:03
No word yet. Usually I get an email a couple days before it hits the store. I have a feeling it won’t be long. Jimini, does the extension show with your adventures?

Jiminimonka
August 23rd, 2021, 20:51
No word yet. Usually I get an email a couple days before it hits the store. I have a feeling it won’t be long. Jimini, does the extension show with your adventures?

It automatically downloaded the extension for me during an update.

ddavison
September 14th, 2021, 15:11
Unfortunately, we have been told by Goodman Games that their license for Lankhmar does not allow them to produce a digital version of it for Fantasy Grounds. The 3 previously released modules are no longer visible in the store and any pending releases had to be shelved.

There are a few other titles for DCC that are also prohibited from being released and we are working with Goodman Games to ensure that we don't have a similar issue in the future. I'm sorry for the hype and rug pull on this.

ProfDogg
September 14th, 2021, 15:20
Unfortunately, we have been told by Goodman Games that their license for Lankhmar does not allow them to produce a digital version of it for Fantasy Grounds. The 3 previously released modules are no longer visible in the store and any pending releases had to be shelved.

There are a few other titles for DCC that are also prohibited from being released and we are working with Goodman Games to ensure that we don't have a similar issue in the future. I'm sorry for the hype and rug pull on this.

So for those of us who have already purchased those adventures, will they continue to be available to us? Or should we expect refunds?

ddavison
September 14th, 2021, 15:51
So for those of us who have already purchased those adventures, will they continue to be available to us? Or should we expect refunds?

They are still available and in your account, but we can't sell any new copies.

If you want a refund, you can request one through support.fantasygrounds.com.

Tabarkus
September 14th, 2021, 15:53
Well, that's disappointing. But at least all the work I did cutting and pasting the resource books for my personal use wasn't wasted. So, likely no Empire of the East or Dying Earth I would imagine.

ProfDogg
September 14th, 2021, 16:03
That's okay then. As long as I can actually keep them in my account, no big deal. The developers ought to keep their portion of any proceeds so I don't need to take that away from them.

Jiminimonka
September 14th, 2021, 16:26
Bit of a bummer. I had 2 more DCC Lankhmar adventures in review and 3 more partially completed...

I'll finish them but at a slower pace now...

Gutted for Leozelig, he spent ages on the box set :(

leozelig
September 15th, 2021, 21:28
Thanks, Jimi. I'm more disappointed that DCC Lankhmar won't be a thing on Fantasy Grounds, but at least we got to keep the extension. Your conversions were looking great btw - those might be a bigger loss than an expensive boxed set.