PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Story FOV/LOS help

JonStormbringer
June 30th, 2021, 12:22
I need a little help with a map I'm working on for an upcoming campaign event. When I've done my own LOS before, it's been single story and I've drawn the LOS map on top of the image. On this map, I have a two story tower and I want the players to be able to go up to the top level--the roof--and be able to see the terrain around them. I did all the LOS before I realized I needed to do something different with the towers.

So what I want to be able to do is: When a token (Character) is on the bottom level of the tower, use one set of LOS, where they can't see anything around them (No windows, 2 doors). Then, when they move to the top story, they are able to see terrain around them.

Here's the map I'm working on, with the LOS visible: 47973

Is there a way/how do I do what I'm trying to do?

I think I've finally learned I should be using layers more than I am. Right now, my LOS and map layers are the same. I'm thinking I should redo the LOS as it's own layer, then make a second layer for the top level that I toggle on or off when a token/character is on the roof. However, how does that affect other tokens on the map? If I toggle the top/bottom layers on/off will other tokens/characters be able to see what they need to. Is there a way to tie a specific view to a specific token?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

johnecc
June 30th, 2021, 13:46
I’m not experienced enough to help you with most of that, but as to your last question about tieing a specific view to a token, no there is not. The way I would do it would be to have 2 seperate maps, because if you switch layers on 1 map, all the tokens will see the topmost layer.

Someone else more experienced with LOS may have a better suggestion though.

LordEntrails
June 30th, 2021, 23:29
IMO layers and folders do not work well for simulating multiple story levels or heights. You will always end up with one token on the first level and another on the second and an inability to show and hide both levels simultaneously.

What I (almost) always do is make one map, with the multiple levels next to or above each other. Surround each level by a wall so that LOS does not look wrong. Use Party Vision and/or masking to help with seeing between levels. One map means all tokens are on the same map, LOS is not lost when switching between levels (i.e. maps).

It's not ideal, but it's the best method I have found.

JonStormbringer
July 1st, 2021, 00:09
Thanks, appreciate the response.:)

Dudin
July 1st, 2021, 13:40
I haven't tried it yet myself with stacking maps on top of each other in the same image that have different LOS data. But I believe you should be able to do the following:

Add all the layer images from the asset folder to the image you are using for the map.
Using the map layer tool on the RH side of the image screen, drag whatever image you are working with first to the top
Begin drawing LOS, but make sure you have only the image you are working on first highlighted/selected. As you begin to draw, the little wall symbol should appear next to the name of the image you are working on.
Repeat with the remaining layers making sure you are only adding the appropriate LOS to the right image.
When you go to play, have the players change layers by dragging the new floor/image they are on to the top of the layers. Then disable all other layers LOS by clicking on the wall symbol of the other layers by clicking on them. When you switch to a new layer from there, enable the new layer's LOS then drag it to the top so it becomes the new active map.

El Condoro
July 1st, 2021, 15:11
The problem is that the PC tokens are always on top of the map layer, so even if one PC is on ground floor and another is on the first storey, they will both appear on the top layer whichever map is currently shown.

Jiminimonka
July 1st, 2021, 18:37
IMO layers and folders do not work well for simulating multiple story levels or heights. You will always end up with one token on the first level and another on the second and an inability to show and hide both levels simultaneously.

What I (almost) always do is make one map, with the multiple levels next to or above each other. Surround each level by a wall so that LOS does not look wrong. Use Party Vision and/or masking to help with seeing between levels. One map means all tokens are on the same map, LOS is not lost when switching between levels (i.e. maps).

IMO this is the ideal solution.

MrDDT
July 10th, 2021, 20:33

Fully agree with this.

I also wanted to add that is you use 1 map, FOW does not go away as if you were to move them to another map. Just take note of that.