PDA

View Full Version : Attack Rolls and Multiple Targets

SoloJoke
June 28th, 2021, 10:35
So, as of now, if you target multiple tokens and make an attack roll, it makes a seperate attack roll for each targeted token. Is there a way to set this so that it only makes one attack roll for all targets? Or is there a shortcut to doing so?

damned
June 28th, 2021, 13:19
I would really be hesitant about using that...
You would likely need to change the targeting code from Each to All...

LordEntrails
June 28th, 2021, 17:54
What are you trying to achieve? Depending upon that, their might be another way to get there.

Moon Wizard
June 28th, 2021, 17:55
It's not only that; but you would need to rewrite all the attack roll logic to support conditional targeted effects. The logic is much more complex for roll once for multiple target scenarios (such as damage).

Regards,
JPG

SoloJoke
June 28th, 2021, 18:59
What are you trying to achieve? Depending upon that, their might be another way to get there.

I'm trying to have a monster that attacks a wide area with a single attack. For example, a stomp that hits a 10 foot cube. It doesn't really make sense to have it make one attack roll for each target in this scenario.

Trenloe
June 28th, 2021, 19:09
I'm trying to have a monster that attacks a wide area with a single attack. For example, a stomp that hits a 10 foot cube. It doesn't really make sense to have it make one attack roll for each target in this scenario.
What happens if an effect against one of the targets gives advantage or disadvantage against the attack? You'll need to roll extra dice, specific to an individual target - which makes the logic and coding implementation a lot more complex (as mentioned by Moon Wizard) and therefore more difficult to maintain. Keeping things less complex is much more preferable, even if there's the occasional lack of ascetics like the one you mention.

You could also argue that, in your example, making an attack roll against each creature is actually more accurate - giving the chance to miss, do more damage (from a critical) or hit against different creatures in the 10 foot cube. You wouldn't expect the exact same result against all creatures. But, anyway, this gets more into the realms of discussing in depth rules and realism in our Fantasy games than discussing FG functionality...

SoloJoke
June 28th, 2021, 19:30
Due to the way I'm handling this monster, it wouldn't ever benefit from advantage or disadvantage, but regardless, I'm not sure if I've gotten an actual answer yet, but I'm guessing the answer is no? That there isn't a way to make an attack only roll once for multiple targets?

Trenloe
June 28th, 2021, 19:50
I'm not sure if I've gotten an actual answer yet, but I'm guessing the answer is no? That there isn't a way to make an attack only roll once for multiple targets?
Not without rewriting the code.

TeddyQ
June 28th, 2021, 20:03

You could use a Saving Throw (ie Dex/Reflex) instead.

SoloJoke
June 28th, 2021, 20:26
Not without rewriting the code.

That's too bad, but thanks for the answer.