PDA

View Full Version : Classic: Network Warning - Download Error - Extension Folder

BikerGeek
June 21st, 2021, 20:59
Hey folks looking for some help if possible.

FGC is stuck on 'Downloading Files', and there are a literal ton of messages in the console file that all start with the following:

Network Warning: Download error for file 'extension/{path-and-file}'; connecting to host; Retrying.

It seems to be for a tons of extensions. Some additional details on the setup:
- Running on W10, running FG as Admin
- Network is Private
- FG 'stuff' is set up as allowed through firewall
- Have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times
- Have deleted FGC and installed
- Have deleted extensions folder and ran update
- No errors/blocks/activities show in AV logs

After the above, still getting those download errors.

Thoughts? Thanks folks!

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2021, 21:10
Check your router and other network devices for Flood Protection/QoS/Parental controls setting.

BikerGeek
June 21st, 2021, 21:34
Check your router and other network devices for Flood Protection/QoS/Parental controls setting.

Thanks for the above, but nothing's changed since I connected last month, it just stopped being able to get to those extensions...

Trenloe
June 21st, 2021, 21:42
Thanks for the above, but nothing's changed since I connected last month, it just stopped being able to get to those extensions...
Welcome to the FG forums.

Saying "nothing's changed" is not an accurate statement when it comes to computers. They're updating (especially networking devices and security software) all the time. So it's best to double check everything to see if there has been any changes that you're unaware of. Because, if it worked before, and it doesn't now - something *has* changed.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2021, 21:43
Every time you switch on your computer something will have changed. There have been updates to FG, updates to windows updates to your anti virus, could also have been updates to the software or firmware of your router.

What you are seeing certainly looks like either anti virus blocking the updater or some form of flood protection preventing files from downloading after a certain amount of bytes/time.

I would certainly redo any exceptions in your Av (especially if you use Windows Defender). delete any old rules and renew them. Access your router and check flood protection and/or parental controls or similar things. Also you should not need to run FG in admin mode. If you are having to do that then that suggests si,e other deeper problem.

BikerGeek
June 21st, 2021, 21:44
Welcome to the FG forums.

Saying "nothing's changed" is not an accurate statement when it comes to computers. They're updating (especially networking devices and security software) all the time. So it's best to double check everything to see if there has been any changes that you're unaware of. Because, if it worked before, and it doesn't now - something *has* changed.

True, so, aside from the above that I listed, what else might I be able to check that might cause the above?

Trenloe
June 21st, 2021, 21:48
What is an example error message you're getting? The one in post #1 looks like it's been edited and doesn't look 100% accurate. If it is 100% accurate then that might at least point to the problem -as there isn't a \extension directory for FG - it's \extensions (with an s).

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2021, 21:50
It's almost always some sort of security/filtering/throttling software on your computer or router settings that cause issues like that.

Also, some Internet providers (like Comcast/Cox) provide "advanced" security settings which will actually block peer-to-peer connections, unless you "re-allow" every 30 days.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53461-Comcast-XFinity-Cox-and-Shaw-Communications-Users-Important

Regards,
JPG

BikerGeek
June 21st, 2021, 21:54
What is an example error message you're getting? The one in post #1 looks like it's been edited and doesn't look 100% accurate. If it is 100% accurate then that might at least point to the problem -as there isn't a \extension directory for FG - it's \extensions (with an s).

@Trenloe, per the screen cap from the console file, it shows as 'extension', singular

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2021, 22:01
At a guess it looks like the host has changed the folder name to extension rather than extensions as Trenloe pointed out above.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2021, 22:04
@Trenloe, per the screen cap from the console file, it shows as 'extension', singular
Ah, OK - it's in a vault file. So that's different. This extra information really helps set the scene on what the actual issue is. Always best to provide more info than less when having issues. This now tells us that the issue is downloading data from the GM you're connecting to as a player. I assumed your download error was updating FG, not when connecting to a GM.

Check your router for flood protection.

Get your GM to check for advanced security (Moon Wizard provided a link above).

BikerGeek
June 21st, 2021, 22:06
Adding to the above, it's worked for the other 7 players that are part of the group, I am the only one w/the issue.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2021, 22:12
Adding to the above, it's worked for the other 7 players that are part of the group, I am the only one w/the issue.
Both could point to your router/security software blocking, or the Advanced Security on the GM side blocking a specific connection.

BikerGeek
June 21st, 2021, 22:15
Appreciate the help here folks.

As it relates to the router stuff, it's my router, not one from the ISP, but I'll keep digging.

Restlessded
June 21st, 2021, 22:39
I'm the Host that BikerGeek is trying to connect to. ISP where I'm at is AT&T. Checked all the possible combinations of stuff from the Moon Wizard post above and can't find any "Advanced Settings" that also include the Advance Security stuff from that post.

He's trying all by his lonesome trying all day today, and hasn't been successful but in a few hours, we'll see 6-7 other players connect successfully (I'm guessing). As we did last week - we have 9 players, but we have a few off this month.
Any further ideas?

Trenloe
June 21st, 2021, 23:06
If the player has a way of trying another network connect/ISP - either via a VPN or a cellphone hotspot, then it's worth giving that a try just for testing to help identify where the issue might be.

Restlessded
June 21st, 2021, 23:34
Thank you! BikerGeek tried via his cell, and still same issue. One other player (one of the less technical) joined already tonight, as well.

BikerGeek
June 21st, 2021, 23:40
Thank you! BikerGeek tried via his cell, and still same issue. One other player (one of the less technical) joined already tonight, as well.
Yeah, no joy here through my phone. All methods still result in that message from the above screen cap.

Fear Grounds
June 21st, 2021, 23:49
Yeah, no joy here through my phone. All methods still result in that message from the above screen cap.

Have you tried deleting the campaign from your computer, and rejoining with the same user info?

Restlessded
June 21st, 2021, 23:56
He uninstalled & reinstalled, so there are no campaigns listed that BikerGeek has successfully connected to.

BikerGeek
June 22nd, 2021, 00:04
Have you tried deleting the campaign from your computer, and rejoining with the same user info?
The machine I'm on is a net-new machine, so nothing shows in the list of campaigns. But I cannot get on with *any* of my machines, prior including.

Fear Grounds
June 22nd, 2021, 00:09
The machine I'm on is a net-new machine, so nothing shows in the list of campaigns. But I cannot get on with *any* of my machines, prior including.

About a month ago something happened with my ISP. Not sure what it was, but it ended up changing my IP address. I had to go through and redo all the port forwarding/ security stuff using my new IP address.