PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds College straw poll (Imortant)

Laerun
June 14th, 2021, 19:19
Please help us make the right choices in regards to visibility, perception, and what we can offer. The link below is a basic straw poll with your votes anonymous of course.

https://strawpoll.com/1kqb5p61r

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2021, 20:55
It might be worthwhile to make it a suggestion/voting option. One of the concerns is that both FGC/FGU create confusion with the FGC/FGU products; and that college/university implies complexity.

Maybe something a little more learning oriented, but less contextually loaded; and less likely to cause confusion; like FG Academy?

Regards,
JPG

ChrisRevocateur
June 14th, 2021, 21:21
It might be worthwhile to make it a suggestion/voting option. One of the concerns is that both FGC/FGU create confusion with the FGC/FGU products; and that college/university implies complexity.

Maybe something a little more learning oriented, but less contextually loaded; and less likely to cause confusion; like FG Academy?

Regards,
JPG

I didn't even think about the FGC/FGU names coinciding with FGC/FGU the program.

In that case I'd like to change my vote from keeping University and agreeing with Moon Wizard, Academy works well.

amerigoV
June 14th, 2021, 21:24
I am old and am tired of change - I voted keep it the same. :)

SilentRuin
June 14th, 2021, 21:39

Regards,
JPG

FGC of Fantasy Grounds Classic is a DOA product! ;) FGC I shall now recognize as Fantasy Grounds College from now on in honor of this fact. May Classic rest in peace ;)

The High Druid
June 14th, 2021, 22:19
(Repeating myself from Reddit here)

I really don't think "Community" is a good way to go because the FG Community consists of many additional people beyond those that make use of the College. The "optics" of it aren't good.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2021, 22:47

Regards,
JPG
I agree. The options presented pretty much result in overlap with product names/abbreviations.

ChrisRevocateur
June 14th, 2021, 23:05
(Repeating myself from Reddit here)

I really don't think "Community" is a good way to go because the FG Community consists of many additional people beyond those that make use of the College. The "optics" of it aren't good.

Completely agree. The Fantasy Grounds Community is everyone here on the forums, on the Discord, AND the people involved with Fantasy Grounds College.

Kelrugem
June 14th, 2021, 23:08

Regards,
JPG

FG Academy does indeed sound the best for me, too :)

Fear Grounds
June 14th, 2021, 23:17
No need to change the name.

Everyone knows that Fantasy Grounds College is Synonymous with learning how to use and improve the user experience in Fantasy Grounds. I send new people your way regularly.

With the Classic client coming toward the end of it's life, you'll soon be able to use the FGC with no worry about confusion.

bmos
June 14th, 2021, 23:30
Completely agree. The Fantasy Grounds Community is everyone here on the forums, on the Discord, AND the people involved with Fantasy Grounds College.
I agree. Branding yourself Fantasy Grounds Community doesn't recognize that you're a portion of a greater whole (and IMO the forums are the more important part of the community although you're invaluable in training new users!).

Fantasy Grounds College is Synonymous with learning how to use and improve the user experience in Fantasy Grounds.
With the Classic client coming toward the end of it's life, you'll soon be able to use the FGC with no worry about confusion.
I voted for Fantasy Grounds College to stay, but Academy would be my second choice.

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2021, 00:26
I voted to keep it FGCollege. Though I like Moon's suggestion even better, Academy.

FGU no, already confusion with the product name is... annoying.
Community, no. That implies you are all of the folks that gather about FG.

mattekure
June 15th, 2021, 00:56
I agree, FG Academy sounds the best to me.

esmdev
June 15th, 2021, 02:58
I voted for Fantasy Grounds College as I feel a change would likely create even more confusion. As time progresses and classic use fades the similarities will be less of a problem.

As a note, however, it would be nice to use a poll/vote system that doesn't have a bunch of ads. The forum has one already built in.

Agamon
June 15th, 2021, 04:46
I almost voted to keep it College, but Academy is great.

Valyar
June 15th, 2021, 05:24
Academy is great suggestion!

viviolay
June 15th, 2021, 07:30
I quite like FG Academy or FG College (the original) - in no particular order. I don't like FGU mostly because I was looking forward to not have to clarify which FGC now that classic is sunsetting and don't really think the possible mix-up would be good.

Mytherus
June 15th, 2021, 12:20
With no disrespect to anyone, i dont see the need to change it at all. Are we really at the point that intelligent enthusiasts of Fantasy Grounds will be confused or mislead between FGC as meaning fantasy grounds classic or fantasy grounds college.

I mean just my pov but i want the persons life who has so little responsibility or concern in their day to day that this throws them a loop or puts a "bad taste" in their mouth so to speak.

also in my little circle of player and dm friends we use the terms "classic" and "unity" more than saying the "fantasy grounds" part as thats implied by context.

Finally, FGC as Fantasy Grounds College has brand recognition. Many people spell it out and refer folks new to the vtt there. I've recommended dozens over the years of me using it. Again, i dont think many will be that confused.

HywelPhillips
June 15th, 2021, 14:26
I voted don't care, but I think I'll revise that opinion.

Changing to University is a bad idea. It removes any existing brand recognition and creates confusion in an unhelpful way. It's not the biggest deal, but if you're changing it anyway, why deliberately recreate a potential clash when you have the chance not to?

Leaving it as College keeps existing brand recognition and reduces the clash gracefully with time.

Community is a bad idea because the community is significantly bigger than the College part of it. Fantasy Grounds Community College would be fine - FGCC - but not sure how much value that has (does "community college" have bad connotations in the US?)

If you want a rebrand and refresh generally, now is a great time to do it as FG Classic goes and FG Unity becomes the platform going forward. FG Classic has a poor reputation in some circles for being overly complex and lacking functionality, and Unity is a great improvement. So why not take the opportunity to rebrand the College too?

Academy seems like a fine idea.

Cheers, Hywel

BelleMuerte
June 15th, 2021, 14:29
I like Fantasy Grounds Academy. Plus the initials will not be confusing with FGC or FGU. :)

Kelrugem
June 15th, 2021, 14:30
Yeah, as said, I'd vote for academy :) On Discord Mephistophelies had also the idea "Fantasy Training Grounds" :D I like that, too, due to how it plays with the FG label :D

Neovirtus
June 15th, 2021, 16:09
I voted to keep the name the same, given the options, but I agree that changing it to be something that doesn't cause confusion with FGC/FGU makes the most sense.

Edit: Looks like the options have changed since my last vote, so I went for FGA.

ChrisRevocateur
June 15th, 2021, 17:31
Yeah, as said, I'd vote for academy :) On Discord Mephistophelies had also the idea "Fantasy Training Grounds" :D I like that, too, due to how it plays with the FG label :D

That's definitely a good suggestion.

ChrisRevocateur
June 15th, 2021, 17:39
With no disrespect to anyone, i dont see the need to change it at all. Are we really at the point that intelligent enthusiasts of Fantasy Grounds will be confused or mislead between FGC as meaning fantasy grounds classic or fantasy grounds college.

I mean just my pov but i want the persons life who has so little responsibility or concern in their day to day that this throws them a loop or puts a "bad taste" in their mouth so to speak.

also in my little circle of player and dm friends we use the terms "classic" and "unity" more than saying the "fantasy grounds" part as thats implied by context.

Finally, FGC as Fantasy Grounds College has brand recognition. Many people spell it out and refer folks new to the vtt there. I've recommended dozens over the years of me using it. Again, i dont think many will be that confused.

Actually, when this poll first went up all the options were abbreviated as FGC or FGU, so the desire to rebrand had nothing to do with product confusion at all. It's been other people bringing up the product confusion as just one thing to think about in this decision to rebrand in the first place.

Your little circle of players may refer to them as classic and unity instead of FGC and FGU, but the vast majority of text communication about the products use those exact abbreviations, regardless of what you do.

Fantasy Grounds College only has brand recognition to those that already know about Fantasy Grounds in the first place. I assure you, it's NOT known outside of the Fantasy Grounds community, so having a different name going forward is going to have little, to no, impact on referring new people who are just discovering Fantasy Grounds to a place to learn how to use it.

To reiterate my main point though, this rebranding is not because of product confusion so you don't need to be so mad about it.

Laerun
June 18th, 2021, 21:27
Fantasy Grounds Academy is definitely gaining traction and popularity. Thanks for weighing in folks!:)

FGC

TheGMSource
June 18th, 2021, 21:34
Just voted for Fantasy Grounds Academy :)

Laerun
June 19th, 2021, 17:59
Thanks for voting!

Primo
June 19th, 2021, 18:32
Fantasy Grounds Academy sounds nice. If you need help with the new branding, hit me up on Discord Laerun! Would love to give back some for everything College (and soon to be Academy) gives for the community.

PlayGamesPaddy
June 21st, 2021, 23:57
I like FGA the best as it will lead to less confusion from multiple things having the same acronym. Fantasy Grounds Community I don’t like.
For me I follow 3 things called FGC, FG Classic, FG Collage and the Fighting Game Community.

Laerun
June 25th, 2021, 02:23
Thanks for all of your input the poll results are now visible based on community input.

https://strawpoll.com/1kqb5p61r/r

esmdev
June 25th, 2021, 03:00
I'm happy for consistency. :)

Marquis_de_Taigeis
June 25th, 2021, 10:28
FGCC Fantasy Grounds Community College

Mytherus
June 28th, 2021, 13:26
Actually, when this poll first went up all the options were abbreviated as FGC or FGU, so the desire to rebrand had nothing to do with product confusion at all. It's been other people bringing up the product confusion as just one thing to think about in this decision to rebrand in the first place.

Your little circle of players may refer to them as classic and unity instead of FGC and FGU, but the vast majority of text communication about the products use those exact abbreviations, regardless of what you do.

Fantasy Grounds College only has brand recognition to those that already know about Fantasy Grounds in the first place. I assure you, it's NOT known outside of the Fantasy Grounds community, so having a different name going forward is going to have little, to no, impact on referring new people who are just discovering Fantasy Grounds to a place to learn how to use it.

To reiterate my main point though, this rebranding is not because of product confusion so you don't need to be so mad about it.

Who's mad? They can call it willy wonkas vtt training academy if they so desire. I stated my opinion, no more, no less.