PDA

View Full Version : The Eternal Question

Random
August 2nd, 2007, 07:08
Yup, same question you've heard time and time again. This time with a twist however.

I'm a longtime player and DM of AD&D 2nd edition. I have some limited experience with 3.5, limited to a game or two and a rather massive collection of books. I haven't played at all in the past 2-3 years, however I'm looking to get back into the hobby. The reasoning behind this is primarily due to the completely amazing Iron Kingdoms campaign setting.

So, with all that background info, here's the questions.

Would Fantasy Grounds be a good program for me to re-enter the hobby with?

My primary interest would be in DMing, as that's what I enjoy from gaming. Is it relatively easy to port in a campaign setting?

Would I have difficulty finding players who would be forgiving of my relative inexperience with the 3.5 rules?

I'd also like to close by saying thank you for spending the time to read my thread, and if you answer, for answering as well.

Cheers,
Random

Oberoten
August 2nd, 2007, 08:57
I believe that the main advantage of FG is just that. Giving you a chance to get back into roleplaying with a bit less hassle on finding a group near you who doesn't have so many schedule conflicts.

If you want to be a GM, you will need a full license, porting in material is mostly data-entry as long as you play 3.5.

As for the rest, as long as you are polite you will find the community welcoming and very helpful.

Best Wishes - Obe

richvalle
August 2nd, 2007, 15:49
Hello and welcome!

I think FG is a good option to jump back in for the same reasons Oberoten says.

Getting a campaign setup really depends on how much work you want to put into it. You can get by with a min. amount buy just importing in some maps. and running the rest 'on the fly'. On the other side you can make a lot of linked maps, create all the NPC's and put them on the maps, create a lot of content and story/background material.

I do the min. approch myself. :)

rv

Random
August 2nd, 2007, 19:41
Well because the Iron Kingdoms has some very distinct differences from core AD&D, I'd have to include a fair amount of background material for players to look over. It's a great setting, but a little daunting for those new to it.

richvalle
August 2nd, 2007, 20:13
Well because the Iron Kingdoms has some very distinct differences from core AD&D, I'd have to include a fair amount of background material for players to look over. It's a great setting, but a little daunting for those new to it.

Yes... but that material doesn't have to be in FG. In fact, there is a strong argument to place it elsewhere. A campaign web page would be a great place for such things. That way players can look at it without having to be in FG and they can look at it WHILE in FG by running a web browser at the same time.

Having a message board is also nice as you can do out of game stuff there and even some in character role playing as well.

Just some ideas.

rv

Waldo Pepper
August 2nd, 2007, 20:54
If you're planning on running D20 for your IK game (likely since the IK game mechanics use the SRD), then FG is a good fit. The community is relatively small but growing.

Incidentally, I'm just about to start up an Iron Kingdoms campaign using FG. I've opted to use the Savage Worlds RPG though since I don't think the D20 system is a particularly good fit with the IK setting, nor do I particularly like the D20 system (the combat system is simply too crunchy for my tastes). The SW RPG is much more streamlined and cinematic.

If you happen to be in a time zone compatible with my game (Tuesdays, 20:00-23:00 GMT+1) you're more than welcome to join us (assuming you decide to buy FG).

Random
August 3rd, 2007, 00:35
Thanks for the invitation but I doubt I'll have the program by then, and I actually prefer the D20 rules. (A certain amount of number crunching helps keep the mind sharp)