PDA

View Full Version : Smarter Desktop Background

frostbyte000jm
June 6th, 2021, 19:28
So I want to change the desktop background, as we do with new games. But I want the photo to be a bit more in frame no matter whose monitor it is on.

I have ideas on how to do this, not sure what would be better. But wanted to consult the council of elders to see if anyone has already invented this wheel.

Or if anyone has attempted it and failed, and what did you do so I don’t repeat these steps.

superteddy57
June 6th, 2021, 19:31
I would suggest to use the decal system for that process and use a plain background. The decal is set to remain in the center of the screen no matter the resolution. This is just my opinion.

frostbyte000jm
June 6th, 2021, 19:35
That is one of my ideas. To separate the photo into two parts, scene (background) and image (foreground). Make the image the decal or act like a decal so it sits in front of the scene.

But wanted to ask in case someone has a better idea.

damned
June 7th, 2021, 00:06
Decal!

LordEntrails
June 8th, 2021, 18:17
If you don't use a decal, then you have to worry about 9 slices, and by default the middle slice is set to tile. You would have to re-write the behavior to cause it to center. Which is really what the decal is set to do. If you are going to the extent of changing the background behavior, I would think to add scaling or sizing options to the decal instead.