PDA

View Full Version : Official Themes of FGU on stock

*Neuro*
June 3rd, 2021, 17:02
Hello.

I am currently using Simple Gray Theme.

I wonder if the size of the theme itself has any effect on the bandwidth and how fast/slow the game will run for everyone that is connected.

I thought as using the lightest theme would benefit the game when I am GMing.

Is this thing true or not?

Or I could use any of the standard stock base themes such as Dungeon and Wood?

Appreciating replies, thank you.

rumpab2020
June 3rd, 2021, 17:11
Check this SS as a proof:

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2021, 18:17
No, the assets a theme use are trivial in file size compared to a few in game images, and only have to be sent once to each client. Then they are local and in memory.

Performance problems come from long lists (i.e. having lots of modules loaded) and then LOS and lighting complexity on maps expounded by the number of actors (CT tokens) on the map. Even large file size maps are only a single hit (transfer), it's the constant moving of tokens and calculating LOS and lighting where the vast majority of computing power is used.

damned
June 4th, 2021, 01:52
No, the assets a theme use are trivial in file size compared to a few in game images, and only have to be sent once to each client. Then they are local and in memory.

Performance problems come from long lists (i.e. having lots of modules loaded) and then LOS and lighting complexity on maps expounded by the number of actors (CT tokens) on the map. Even large file size maps are only a single hit (transfer), it's the constant moving of tokens and calculating LOS and lighting where the vast majority of computing power is used.

This is not completely accurate. Ive seen themes with 10mb desktop images.
There will be a hit on first download with the theme enabled or if the theme is updated or swapped.
Additionally themes that use a lot of tiling can impact performance.