PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Unity?

Nexos
June 3rd, 2021, 15:49
Hi folks,

I just noticed that an upgrade from FGC to FGU Standard Edition is only around 15£ on Steam. I am considering the switch, but first I wanted to ask you: is it worth it? Is FGU still in a beta stage or is it stable and fairly bug-free? Does the Gurps ruleset handle the new version nicely?

Thank you in advance!

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2021, 16:04
I can't answer the question about GURPS, but FGU has been out of beta for a number of months now. The vast majority of games are played on FGU now. If the new features in FGU look good to you, then yes it's worth it.

Mansquatch62
June 3rd, 2021, 19:24
Hey Nexos,

GURPS runs just fine on FGU. If you're familiar with it on classic, there's little functional difference between the two, other than the mechanical upgrades offered by Unity. I'm running two different GURPS campaigns and have had no major issues.

ronnke
June 4th, 2021, 05:10
In terms of the actual GURPS ruleset, there is nothing extra you will have by migrating to FGU. That said, FGU has several enhancements which are not available in FGC, lots of map tools and features you don't get in FGC. If the price is right for you, then I would recommend the upgrade. Longer term, FGU will continue to receive news features and development, while FGC will not.

Nexos
June 4th, 2021, 19:35
Longer term, FGU will continue to receive news features and development, while FGC will not.

I can't believe how profetic you were, just a few hours ago they announced the end of support for FGC! Yup, better to upgrade then. Thank you all :)

Trenloe
June 4th, 2021, 19:39
I can't believe how profetic you were, just a few hours ago they announced the end of support for FGC! Yup, better to upgrade then. Thank you all :)
Just to clarify. It's not the "end of support", it's the end of new product support. Yes, it's the first step towards what Smiteworks has always said will happen - FGC getting retired (complete end of support). But it's not end of support just yet...

ronnke
June 4th, 2021, 19:40

And the lotto numbers are.....

:D

damned
June 5th, 2021, 03:39
And the lotto numbers are.....

:D

Dont leave us hanging!