PDA

View Full Version : Want to startup FG publishing house

Dementia Five
July 30th, 2007, 22:31
Hope this is read in the spirit it was intended...

I have completed an FG campaign that is getting some strong reviews, and after much deliberation have decided to publish it independently. I have dedicated about a year of time and over 20,000 words to this task.

What I would like to know is if there are others that have worked closely with the FG application and created modules they feel are fit for "public use"... meaning the material does NOT infringe on copywritten law. If so, and you wish to collaborate with me and begin a publishing venture for the sole purpose of distributing FG campaigns/materials for fun and profit, I am prepared to hear anyone on this matter.

I cannot help but notice what I consider to be a lacking in FG campaigns for download in the market. I would like to change this.

If you are interested, feel free to email me... no need to clog the message boards on this matter. If I see this generating enough interest we can pursue this as a business venture together.

Thanks, and good luck.

Tailz Silver Paws
July 31st, 2007, 00:28
There might seem to be a lack of material for FG at the moment, but I would guess that is because the publishers are busy converting material from FG to FGII.

SirJoe
July 31st, 2007, 03:39
Hey ya. I am thinking of publishing some adventures as well. I have access to a good 2d / 3d artist and designer (tokens, portraits, icons, etc), who has the full adobe suite of products (Photoshop, Ilustrator, InDesign, etc), so adventures can be be published in PDF and FG2 format. I am not so shabby when it comes to mapping and writting. I'd be happy to chat with you about your ideas... I'm also thinking of contacting Digitial Adventures, FUM and others to see if they are interested, so that is another avenue you can take.

Thore_Ironrock
July 31st, 2007, 04:06
I'm also thinking of contacting Digitial Adventures, FUM and others to see if they are interested, so that is another avenue you can take.

I would be happy to chat with anyone interested in venturing into FG designing. If you're going to be at Gen Con, please stop by for a chat. :)

Dementia Five
July 31st, 2007, 05:24
Hey ya. I am thinking of publishing some adventures as well. I have access to a good 2d / 3d artist and designer (tokens, portraits, icons, etc), who has the full adobe suite of products (Photoshop, Ilustrator, InDesign, etc), so adventures can be be published in PDF and FG2 format. I am not so shabby when it comes to mapping and writting. I'd be happy to chat with you about your ideas... I'm also thinking of contacting Digitial Adventures, FUM and others to see if they are interested, so that is another avenue you can take.

Indeed, I did contact Digital Adventures, but I needed some immediacy on this. I am confident that self-publication is the proper protocol; I have some experience with publishing and like yourself am comfortable with the tools. Frankly, I relish the opportunity to answer to no-one but the client (and the bank) and to run with my ideas, not chase them.

I'm looking forward to more feedback. Thanks for the reply (all of you).

SirJoe
July 31st, 2007, 06:20
[QUOTE=Frankly, I relish the opportunity to answer to no-one but the client (and the bank) and to run with my ideas, not chase them. [/QUOTE]

I don't think that the Banks will be a big issue with this... from what (little) I know of the online RPG market, it's a lot like the off-line market in that you need to have a good set of channels in order to generate sales. On top of that, going after the FG2 market niche is a sub-set of an already small market. So in my thinking, it's likely that you'd not see much of a cash return as a ratio of the amount of work being put (that is when compared to, say, my previous role of technology consulting.) But that's not why we do this... it's because it's FUN and we are PASSIONATE about our hobbie.

Personally, I'd like to open a dialog with others already publishing online adventures. They probably have learnt some hard lessons along the way, and it's always good to listen if not work to them, especially when they don't agree with you. Not that you need to take their advice, but an open ear always helps get more sales. :-)

Cheers,
Sir Joe

kepli
July 31st, 2007, 08:47
FUM would also be interested :)
Remember that FUM is just a small company though ;)