PDA

View Full Version : New week night game: Savage Worlds (GMT+1)

Waldo Pepper
July 30th, 2007, 18:24
Greetings,
I've recently purchased a copy of FG and am getting ready to start running a weekly game. I will be running the game on either Tuesday or Thursday nights, GMT +1 (that's European time), starting around 8pm and running for 3-4 hours per session. I haven't settled on a night yet but will do so once I get a feel for which night will work best for the players.

The details of the game I'm starting are:
The campaign is known as the "IK Files" and will be a mixture of the fantasy, pulp, horror, mystery, conspiracy, and psycho-thriller genres set in the Iron Kingdoms (https://www.privateerpress.com/ironkingdoms/default.php) setting. Briefly, the party will be a members of the Orders of Illumination assigned to investigate strange instances, occurrences, and crimes across the IK. The campaign will be episodic in nature with an underlying plot that will slowly be revealed. I plan on using both Monsternomicons extensively as a source of inspiration. in It's sort of the X-files crossed with Van Helsing crossed with the SW's Rippers setting crossed with Call of Cthulu crossed with Mind Hunters crossed with the Pendrake Encounters. :eek:

The game will be using the Savage Worlds RPG along with some mods from the Rippers setting. You don't really need to own the SW rule book (the Test Drive rules are fine) though it wouldn't hurt.

A couple of other pieces of info:

The game emphasizes role-playing and character/story development: Although combat will occur regularly, it's not the central focus of the game. If you like mystery, horror, and conspiracy type games, you'll be interested; If you just want to kill things and accumulate $$$, the game isn't for you. We will likely start with the Witchfire Trilogy, but told from a different perspective and with significant differences in the plot. After that, I have a lot of self-made adventure ideas lined up including tracking down a serial killer or two. :ninja:
The game will contain a lot of mature content (fitting the horror genre) and thus is only open to adults.
The game will likely start in mid-August and run weekly barring vacations, holidays, and other real life events.
The game will be open to a maximum of 5 players.

If you're interested please drop me a PM and I'll send you more specific info.

Waldo Pepper
August 1st, 2007, 08:05
I've had a few people PM me with interest in the game but concerned that they aren't familiar and/or don't own the Savage Worlds rules:

That is no problem at all. The rules are quite straight forward and Pinnacle provides a set of free Test Drive rules that are more than enough for you to play. The rest you can learn as we go along.

Savage Worlds is based on a different mechanic than D20, but on the surface looks and plays quite similarly. As long as you can roleplay an interesting, complex character, most of the rules remain largely in the background.

Kalan
August 1st, 2007, 08:49
I've had a few people PM me with interest in the game but concerned that they aren't familiar and/or don't own the Savage Worlds rules:

That is no problem at all. The rules are quite straight forward and Pinnacle provides a set of free Test Drive rules that are more than enough for you to play. The rest you can learn as we go along.

Savage Worlds is based on a different mechanic than D20, but on the surface looks and plays quite similarly. As long as you can roleplay an interesting, complex character, most of the rules remain largely in the background.

I'll second that remark ;) If the times were better, I'd love to get in on this, but right now a number of projects which are taking shape, not to mention the better half starting a new job, leaves me a little tapped for time ;)

Good luck in this!