PDA

View Full Version : [LFG] [4-5 players] [Sunday evenings EST] [5e] Friends [~25 yrs old] looking for DM!

pooters
May 30th, 2021, 03:30
FG License: Have free but could potentially get paid!
Time Zone: EST
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Weekly games on Sunday evenings (~7pm)
Term: Long-term ideally but open to shorter
Voice: Open to any voice chat! (Discord preferred). Can download other software as well (Syrinscape, etc.)

Game System Preferred: 5e
Game System Experience: 5e
Fantasy Grounds Experience: Two of us are very familiar (running a campaign right now) but the others are new to the platform

Hey everyone,

We’re a group of 4 or 5 friends (3-4 men, 1 woman) looking to find a chill DM to run a roleplay heavy campaign on Sunday nights. We still do enjoy some good, engaging combat scenarios, but roleplaying is definitely what we’re most interested in (though a few of us are relatively new players, so it may take a few sessions for them to get used to the RP). Really, I suppose our main objective is to tell a very fun and interesting story with great individual and team story arcs, as well as an abundance of complex moral scenarios (like I’m talking so complex we might accidentally spend an entire session debating it). We love weirdness. Like crank the Wild Wasteland perk to 10, homies. We want to explore the collective unfiltered imagination of the human potential. We want to do things that surprise us; things so wild they keep us up at night after sessions.

We have no preference on which module to run (heck, if you wanted to homebrew something, we’d be down), we’re really just looking for a creative and collaborative DM who can fill the void our boring and selfish fathers left behind.

Thanks for reading! If you’re interested, feel free to reply or send a message telling me about yourself!

shezingzh
May 31st, 2021, 12:50
ok, interesting. I can run your group through a short campaign, see how it works out. I started in FGU april of 2020, been DMing in FGU ultimate for over 1.5 yrs now I am almost fully automated. It takes an average of 4-5 hrs to make a character. So making characters you might want to login when you get a chance before game day.

send me a message if you are interested. my advert:

Adventure: Life in Shadowdale (Living Shadowdale)
FG License: Unity (Ultimate)
Game System: 5E

Time Zone: CST - Florida ( UTC/GMT -4)
Day of week and time: sat 7-10pm sun
Planned start date: will be determined
Planned Duration & Frequency: 3 hour, weekly
Term: campaign

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 20/80
Number of Players in game & needed: 4-5
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1, class equipment
Character restrictions: no druids, no psion, and no unsupported class

Details of your scenario:
several combined 1 shots

I started playing back in 1974 began DMing in the early to mid 80's. started with 1e then 2e then 3e then 3.5e then stopped at 4e. Just got back into VTT last year been DMing since

shezingzh
June 1st, 2021, 12:24
I give everyone 72 hours to respond before I withdraw my offer.

shezingzh
June 2nd, 2021, 21:19
I am withdrawing my generous offer at this time as there is no real interest.

N4mddissent
June 7th, 2021, 00:15
tl;dr - I'm an old TTRPG alumnus with lots of experience, resources, and "back in my day" stories but I have limited experience with online play. I have the Ultimate version of FG and FGU and actually used FG a little with my in-person group. I have experience in both dungeon crawls and role-playing conundrums. The timing mostly works, but the sessions would have to be short on Sunday nights because I teach and after summer, I have to get up at 4:00 AM on Mondays. I feel more confident in the ability to design a campaign than using the software but no promises. I tend to use my own creations with heavily modified modules thrown in if necessary.

About Me
You sound like a fun group! I'm a greybeard that started playing during the introduction of 2E, played in 1E tournaments, had just started 3E when college, marriage, job, and kid, resulted in about a 15 year hiatus. So I missed 4E completely. Within the last couple of years, my interest was rekindled by my kid and by my students (I'm a HS science teacher) talking about D&D as it made a comeback. I DM'd a couple of campaigns for groups of students and then started looking into online play just before the pandemic. I have purchased Ultimate licenses for FG and FGU, but haven't used them very much. I have a pretty large collection of 5E modules for both.

Gaming Style
I think the players are special- that's what sets them apart from your average town guard or hedge wizard. So I like to work with each player to develop their character in terms of backstory, motivations, goals, etc...I even have a questionnaire I sometimes give to newer players to help them develop their character more fully. At times I try to use this information to bring individual hooks into whatever is going on in the overall story. I also try to give each player a "gift" at some point in the campaign when it feels appropriate or earned. I work hard to keep them balanced, but makes the character unique with a characteristic or item that is not standard. That said, it really dampens the dramatic tension if the players feel there are no consequences, so PC death is a possibility even if I had plans for their story. Those deaths are not always dramatic either. Just like real life, not every amazing life has a meaningful, dramatic death. And knowing that Indiana Jones doesn't always escape from the boulder, makes solving that puzzle/trap correctly much more motivating.

When it comes to alignment, I think the "good/evil" "law/chaos" system is vague but has its uses in a fantasy system with gods. But for clarity I tell my players to mentally replace good/evil with a spectrum of selfless/selfish. For the most part in my campaigns, if you do something to help others regardless of your own benefit that is "good" and if you do something to help yourself without regard for harm that may come to others that is "evil". It's not perfect and there may be exceptions, but you'd be amazed at how many times this fits. As for the Law/Chaos, it's a spectrum from Authoritarian to Libertarian. I try not to put too much emphasis on these except where called for by the context (clerics, magic items, spells, etc) but I want to give 2 caveats: 1)I don't forbid an "evil" party, but I feel constrained creatively and tend to be more strict in consequences for actions. (I'm more traditionalist- the world needs heroes) and 2) An evil character in the party can be a problem unless the role-playing is top notch and there is motivation to not sabotage/screw around with the rest of the party. A single player can disrupt the fun of the whole group. If that's the case, that character is added to the list of potential candidates for experiments with 1E dungeon traps.

About Sessions:
Sunday night at 7:00 PM is not ideal but possible. During the summer or holidays, I have no problem, but when school is in session, I have to get up at 4:00 AM on Monday mornings, so I can't stay up too late. As a teacher, my schedule is usually pretty fixed, however, it also requires a lot of time commitment during the week, so in the past, some sessions were hit or miss depending on how long I had to prepare. Luckily I have a long commute to and from work, so it's a good time to put on an epic soundtrack and get creative. I started D&D as completely theater of the mind, so all I really need to play and run a session is voice/video. I used discord a couple of times. I'm pretty adept at Google Meet thanks to teaching during Covid. Ideally, in addition to fantasy grounds, a voice/video chat where we can hear each other and show a window on our desktop would be great and enough to run a session in the event my lack of experience with fantasy grounds causes a problem. I have limited internet availability because I live in a rural area and the hand of the market decided it is not worth investing in an area with so few customers per square mile. However, I have always managed to make it work when video conferencing and worst case scenario can use my phone for video and chat.

The Adventure/Setting:
Will be determined based on the characters you want to play. I have a few ideas, and obviously am more familiar with some than others. But character creation is an important process. Any character or class in the PHB is acceptable, and most official supplements would be fine. I prefer stats rolled with me present in some way to prevent my personal bias. (I have personally witnessed someone get 3 "18's" when rolling. The odds of that are not good. If I had not witnessed it, I would have forever thought that player fudged their scores) I like to meet up or communicate in some way with each player individually to work out how they envision their character and offer some advice or options before the first session. I've always liked the player and DM working together to get the best fit for the campaign.

I don't know if it would work but if you would like to try, let me know!