PDA

View Full Version : When buying the image packs for mapmaking....

RationalSolutions
May 28th, 2021, 18:06
does that give me rights to the images I create with them? I know when you use the subscription it is only valid while the subscription is running, but if you buy the individual packs am I able to use them to make maps and modules that contain them?

Zacchaeus
May 28th, 2021, 18:19
Yes, for your own use.

Well you can export it but anyone using the map would also require the same assets you used to create the map. So it's only useful for personal use.

RationalSolutions
May 28th, 2021, 18:57
Thanks for that clarification!

Trenloe
May 28th, 2021, 19:48
As an example, a few users are sharing maps they've made with FG artwork here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61251-FGU-Image-and-Map-Module-Exchange They can do this because they're sharing the reference to the source graphics, not the actual source graphics - so they're only useful to someone else who has the same sources.

RationalSolutions
May 28th, 2021, 20:22
Yeah, That is a tad unfortunate, as I am evaluating tools for a project and I love FGU for running my games and I was really hoping the map making would fit my needs. I really love the work you guys are doing with this program.

LordEntrails
May 30th, 2021, 04:33
Yeah, That is a tad unfortunate, as I am evaluating tools for a project and I love FGU for running my games and I was really hoping the map making would fit my needs. I really love the work you guys are doing with this program.
Yea, I agree with you on this. I too would love to use FGU for my map making. But the licensing restrictions are prohibitive for my use case, distribution. It leaves me with using CC3+ for my efforts, and then adding LOS, Effects and vision after the fact in FGU.

AlterZwerg
June 4th, 2021, 22:36
Yea, I agree with you on this. I too would love to use FGU for my map making. But the licensing restrictions are prohibitive for my use case, distribution. It leaves me with using CC3+ for my efforts, and then adding LOS, Effects and vision after the fact in FGU.

As FGC is now about to be sunset, i just began to build a map in FGU with some of those assets and i find it really useful and easy to use.
Itīs for an AD&D Module about to be published in the FG Store.
But what youīre basically saying is i canīt use Assets i bought in the FG Store to build a map in FGU for a Module about to be published in the FG Store?
So i still have to return to third parties and add LOS etc afterwards? Please say i just misunderstand things....

RationalSolutions
June 4th, 2021, 22:48
That is the way that I am understanding things.

Jiminimonka
June 4th, 2021, 23:04
As FGC is now about to be sunset, i just began to build a map in FGU with some of those assets and i find it really useful and easy to use.
But what youīre basically saying is i canīt use Assets i bought in the FG Store to build a map in FGU for a Module about to be published in the FG Store?
So i still have to return to third parties and add LOS etc afterwards? Please say i just misunderstand things....

I think you are understanding it perfectly.
Definitely not being able to use the art packs commercially is an issue. Maybe there could be a commercial license for the assets, a bit like Forgotten Adventures do with their map tokens and assets.

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2021, 23:07

If you are creating a module for the store then you will be using assets provided by the publisher to create that module. So there’s no question about creating anything for such a module. If you did then unless the users of the purchased module also own the assets you used to create the map then the map would not be there.

Sulimo
June 4th, 2021, 23:08
Mine as well.

It was explained previously (some discussion here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66253-Art-Subscription-Usage-question&p=582278&viewfull=1#post582278)) that creating images/maps with the Art Packs will only work for exported images if the importer also has the same Art Pack.

So for example, create a map using an Art Pack. Export the image.

In the export is just data on how the Art Pack assets go together, no actual image is in the export. If the person that got the export also has the same Art Pack, it will work for them, however, if they do not have the Art Pack it won't work.

AlterZwerg
June 4th, 2021, 23:25
Weīre talking AD&D here. Most of the maps in the modules on the store had to be redone from scratch using Dungeon Draft or CC3+, because you can barely use the originals "provided by the publisher" from those days for VTTs.

I have no problem using Dungeon Draft for this, i just figured it would be easier using assets coming with FGU and show what can be done with them.
Edit: Thanks for the link @Sulimo

gtw2017
June 5th, 2021, 01:57
Sounds like the World needs a commercial token pack... As an asset/image maker, I'll put it on my to-do list.