PDA

View Full Version : PFRPG and 3.5E Effects

Orimn
May 23rd, 2021, 01:07
Hello, New FG user here so my apologies if this topic has been covered already.

I am going through the motions of getting everything set up for the game I am running, and one of my players has an item he uses that boosts his STR stat +2

I used this information to make an effect to give a stat boost.

The thing is I tested it a couple different ways to make sure it was working as intended.
When I used a bonus of +2 it added a correct bonus of +1 to the character HIT roll.

When I changed it to +1 it added nothing to to character HIT roll which makes sense if his STR score was 18

The problem is a +1 bonus would have moved his STR score from 19 to 20 giving the +1 bonus.

It seems when using the PFRPG and 3.5E Effects to modify stat scores it adds or removes bonuses bases on a 2 point increment and not based on the character's actual score.

Now, I may be wrong I am new to the software so any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks !

Kelrugem
May 23rd, 2021, 01:23
Hello, New FG user here so my apologies if this topic has been covered already.

I am going through the motions of getting everything set up for the game I am running, and one of my players has an item he uses that boosts his STR stat +2

I used this information to make an effect to give a stat boost.

The thing is I tested it a couple different ways to make sure it was working as intended.
When I used a bonus of +2 it added a correct bonus of +1 to the character HIT roll.

When I changed it to +1 it added nothing to to character HIT roll which makes sense if his STR score was 18

The problem is a +1 bonus would have moved his STR score from 19 to 20 giving the +1 bonus.

It seems when using the PFRPG and 3.5E Effects to modify stat scores it adds or removes bonuses bases on a 2 point increment and not based on the character's actual score.

Now, I may be wrong I am new to the software so any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks !

You probably tested in PF1? Yes, then this is true, those are actually some rules of PF1: Temporary bonusses do not add to the ability scores, they instead add to the mod directly for each even number (so, only a bonus of 2, 4, ... gives something). The effects' system of FG (PF1) respects that PF1 rule :) 3.5e though uses it as you would expect instead :)

Orimn
May 23rd, 2021, 01:31
Really ?

I'm old school, learned to play the game on first edition AD&D then moved to 2nd edition.
I had stopped playing before 3rd came out, but now I find myself back into the game playing with friends in pathfinder 1st edition.

I definitely appreciate the response and the rule clarification.
I will pass it along to my group !

Kelrugem
May 23rd, 2021, 01:36
Really ?

I'm old school, learned to play the game on first edition AD&D then moved to 2nd edition.
I had stopped playing before 3rd came out, but now I find myself back into the game playing with friends in pathfinder 1st edition.

I definitely appreciate the response and the rule clarification.
I will pass it along to my group !

Yup :) I am a bit lazy now, so, I hope someone provides a link for that :D

Hence, permanent bonusses should be tracked in the sheet directly; but if you prefer to use effects, then just stick with the temporary bonus rules of PF1 for everything :)

Orimn
May 23rd, 2021, 02:08
I trust you Kelrugem ;)

I edited this comment because It's late and my idea was incorect.

But again, Thanks for the info !

LordEntrails
May 23rd, 2021, 04:48
MOD: moved to PF forum.

Zygmunt Molotch
May 23rd, 2021, 06:03
Yup :) I am a bit lazy now, so, I hope someone provides a link for that :D

Hence, permanent bonusses should be tracked in the sheet directly; but if you prefer to use effects, then just stick with the temporary bonus rules of PF1 for everything :)

Actually...

I'd suggest using this :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61371-PFRPG-Ability-Drain-and-Permanent-Bonuses

by Bmos

you may as well play with the proper rules, rather than the FG ruleset :D

Orimn
May 23rd, 2021, 10:13
Actually...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61371-PFRPG-Ability-Drain-and-Permanent-Bonuses

by Bmos

Cool thanks, I have just been working my way through the base software getting familiar with it so I haven't looked into any of the user made modifications

Just a quick question, If I use this extension ( which looks quite useful ) do all the people in my group also need to install the extension or is it synched to them automatically ?
I'm running an Ultimate license and they use the free player software.

Kelrugem
May 23rd, 2021, 11:39
Actually...

by Bmos

Ah, I forgot this extension, thanks! :D (though one still needs to check stacking of these bonusses with the effects' system, I think)

Cool thanks, I have just been working my way through the base software getting familiar with it so I haven't looked into any of the user made modifications

Just a quick question, If I use this extension ( which looks quite useful ) do all the people in my group also need to install the extension or is it synched to them automatically ?
I'm running an Ultimate license and they use the free player software.

Only the DM needs the extension :)

Orimn
May 23rd, 2021, 13:20
You guys are great !

Thanks for all the help :D

bmos
May 23rd, 2021, 17:26
though one still needs to check stacking of these bonusses with the effects' system, I thinkAn important clarification!
As an example: if there is a permenent enhancement bonus via the extension and a temporary enhancement bonus (via effects), the two will stack (but they do not based on the rules of PF).