PDA

View Full Version : Help with adding Spells to Mod

Virtual_KO
July 26th, 2007, 21:33
First off thanks for the info in previous threads which got me this far.

I am trying to create my own custom spell list using some spells out of the CAr and Spell Compendium. I can see my First Level Spell in the box (or should I say it has a spot for it with a mini square you can click on) but when I click on it it is empty and simply has a "New Spell" in the box. It also does not show the Word Accuracy anywhere it is simply a blank box that you can click on. How do you add new spells? Can anyone see what I am missing?

Thanks!

<accuracy>
<name type="string">Accuracy</name>
<school type="string">Transmutation</school>
<level type="string">Sor/Wiz 1</level>
<components type="string">V, S, M</components>
<castingtime type="string">1 standard action</castingtime>
<range type="string">Touch</range>
<effect type="string">One Projectile or Thrown Weapon per Level</effect>
<duration type="string">10 min/Lv</duration>
<save type="string">Will negates (harmless, object)</save>
<sr type="string">Yes (harmless, object)</sr>
<description type="formattedtext"><p>When you cast this spell, you enhance one or more thrown weapons or one projectile weapon to improve its chance of hitting distant targets. For the duration of the spell, the range increment for the affected weapon or weapons is doubled.</p><p><i>Material Components:</i> Ink used to scribe a mystical character on each weapon affected by the spell.</p></description>
<shortdescription type="string">Doubles thrown weapon or projectiles range increment</shortdescription>
</accuracy>

<spelllists static="true">
<zero>
<description type="string">0 Level Spells</description>
<groups>
<level0>
<description type="string">Level 0</description>
<spells>
<acidsplash>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class><recordname>spelldesc.acidsplash@d20 Spells</recordname></link>
<level type="number">0</level>
</acidsplash>
<disruptundead>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class><recordname>spelldesc.disruptundead@d20 Spells</recordname></link>
</disruptundead>
<light>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class><recordname>spelldesc.light@d20 Spells</recordname></link>
</light>
<message>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class><recordname>spelldesc.message@d20 Spells</recordname></link>
</message>
<rayoffrost>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class><recordname>spelldesc.rayoffrost@d20 Spells</recordname></link>
</rayoffrost>
</spells>
</level0>
</groups>
</zero>
<first>
<description type="string">1st Level Spells</description>
<groups>
<level1>
<description type="string">Level 1</description>
<spells>
<accuracy>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class><recordname>spelldesc.accuracy@d20 Spells</recordname></link>
<level type="number">1</level>
</accuracy>
</spells>
</level1>
</groups>
</first>
</spelllists>

Virtual_KO
July 26th, 2007, 21:54
So I added the spell to the original d20 and that worked but I am still a little confused on the classes and mod files and how they work...

I assumed that I should have been able to do something like this...

My Mod is called SlagsSpells.mod

I had the spells listed in that mod like this...

<recordname>spelllists.first@SlagsSpells</recordname>

I also have the intro portion complete, I believe?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.0">
<library>
<SlagsSpells static="true">
<name type="string">Slags Spells</name>
<categoryname type="string">d20 Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>

I then entered the spell as any other spell <spelldesc static="true">

Finally I changed the end to equal the module I created...
<first>
<description type="string">1st Level Spells</description>
<groups>
<level1>
<description type="string">Level 1</description>
<spells>
<accuracy>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class><recordname>
spelldesc.accuracy@SlagsSpells</recordname></link>
<level type="number">1</level>
</accuracy>
</spells>
</level1>
</groups>
</first>

I can see the Module when I load FG and my new thumbnail is there and I can click on this... I can even see my other spells that reference the d20 Spells mod.

I'll keep reading and digging... Thanks Again

Virtual_KO
July 27th, 2007, 01:34
Well... Not exactly sure what I did different but diligence paid off... somehow it is working now... wish I could tell you what I did...

LOL....

ldyparadox99
July 27th, 2007, 10:46
I read this a little too late to help I think. The spell module was my biggest nemesis when I started converting my old d20 ruleset to FG2. I got it all worked out though and now it's just a data entry/transfer job which I've grossly neglected lately.

If you need anymore help feel free to contact me. Think my email is attached in my profile. :D

Virtual_KO
July 27th, 2007, 19:44
Thanks Idy!... The problem is now going to be making syntax errors as I am typing... For instance I placed in a new spell...

"Low-Light Vision" which is how the SpCom has it listed, using the hyphan. I guess that is a syntax error when you attempt to use it in the name of a spell. FG2 just kept crashing until I removed it.

Ah you gotta love learning a new language or syntax.

ldyparadox99
July 28th, 2007, 10:57
Heh, the syntax was a lot more forgiving in FG1 than FG2. I made the exact same mistake (once I got the darned mod to work in the first place since I had to make changes to the spell description layout) in spell names. I was simply copying and pasting from my old ruleset and the particular system I'm using loves hyphens in it's spells.

Needless to say I now mindlessly type out everything in lowercases, no spaces, no hyphens and often copy/paste the spell name into everyplace else that needs the same name to avoid spelling errors (since some of the spell names are very, extremely odd).

Also, you might check out the oXygen xml editor. Since the spell description and the spell list are on the same document now this particular editor makes life much easier since it has a tree on the side showing all the categories and subcategories of the document. They have a free trial, so you might check it out and see if it makes your spell mod editing a bit easier. :D