PDA

View Full Version : Extension for active vision

Kelrugem
May 20th, 2021, 20:50
AS: I didn't know, but there are already extensions for the following and more! :D See Mattekure's extension: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/358244/Fantasy-Grounds-Select-on-Turn?affiliate_id=712946
And here for Daddyogreman's extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66336-CoreRPG-Combat-Highlighter

Hi :)

This is a small extension to synchronize the active vision with the active actor in the CT :)

What it does: This extension will automatically select the active token while clearing all other previously selected ones (only for DM), then you will also always see through the eyes of the active token :) But only if you you change the actor by the next actor or next round button :)
(not if you manually set the active token by drag&drop of the active marker; I just had some minutes for some coding while I eat. If I have more time, then I will try that, too :) )

I speak of the "hard" select where a coloured ring is shown around the selected token. FG already does something similar with a "soft" selection shown by a white underlay which already automates that the active token is used for targeting purposes, as long as there is no hard select (though for CT targeting always the active one is taken as you know). The "hard" target is useful for the vision and light, which is what this extension does :)

Best,

Kelrugem

PS: The previously "hardly" selected tokens are only deleted if there is an active token in the CT, and the deletion only happens on the image with the active token. That is on purpose such that you have more "ambience" on all maps you actually play on (though that is rare edge case of playing mode); that does not affect the automation since the "hard selection" is only for targeting stuff on the corresponding map :)

PPS: Works for both, FGC and FGU, but its main purpose is of course only for FGU :)

EDIT: If you use my overlay package for PF1/3.5e, then beware that there is maybe no compatibility :) (but I think they should be compatible) If no compatibility, then I will merge this extension into my 3.5e/PF1 stuff somewhen later :)

Kelrugem
May 20th, 2021, 22:00
I just found out that Mattekure wrote a similar extension: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/358244/Fantasy-Grounds-Select-on-Turn?affiliate_id=712946

(funnily also today :D Nice occurrence that we both had the same idea roughly at the same time :D )

If you want to support Mattekure, then check it out :) Especially since I have not much time for coding right now, it is surely worth it to check it out because Mattekure may add more things to it :)

mattekure
May 20th, 2021, 22:04
That is funny, just hours apart. Great minds think alike and all that :D

nephranka
May 20th, 2021, 22:31
I believe this functionality is also in the extension: CoreRPG Combat Highlighter or is this different. I recognize that the highlighter is doing a lot more but I was mainly curious.

mattekure
May 20th, 2021, 22:33
I believe this functionality is also in the extension: CoreRPG Combat Highlighter or is this different. I recognize that the highlighter is doing a lot more but I was mainly curious.

Possibly, I hadnt heard of that extension. It looks like it is doing a whole lot more, and that this is just one small piece of what it offers.

Kelrugem
May 20th, 2021, 22:41

Ah, I thought it mainly highlights tokens on the map when hovering over their entry in the CT :) But it is a while ago that I checked its thread, so, not sure how it interacts with vision :) (since I did not run any game for a long time, I could not really test any other extensions so far :) the vision stuff was just something I faced when testing and playing around with FGU :D)

Kelrugem
May 20th, 2021, 22:46
Ah, I checked it out, and, indeed, there is an option in it for doing something similar! :D Thanks, Nephranka :) Here its thread, too: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66336-CoreRPG-Combat-Highlighter

Well, at least I had a nice coding exercise today :D

nephranka
May 21st, 2021, 00:06
No worries. Some may just want this and not all the other stuff.

ChrisRevocateur
May 21st, 2021, 21:28
Yeah, but Mattekure's is marked for 5E only.

I really hate that DMsGuild restriction, it makes it really hard to find extensions on there that DO work with other rulesets just fine, because even if they do, the creator isn't even allowed to say it does.

mattekure
May 21st, 2021, 21:31
Yeah, but Mattekure's is marked for 5E only.

I really hate that DMsGuild restriction, it makes it really hard to find extensions on there that DO work with other rulesets just fine, because even if they do, the creator isn't even allowed to say it does.

DMsGuild is for 5e, but nowhere do I mark my extension as 5E only. It should be fully compatible with ALL CoreRPG based rulesets. There is absolutely no 5E ruleset code referenced at all. I just pushed an update on mine, so players also have the option to select on turn and can choose between only their owned characters, all PCs, and all friendly in the CT. I need to make my own thread about it.

ChrisRevocateur
May 21st, 2021, 21:43
DMsGuild is for 5e, but nowhere do I mark my extension as 5E only. It should be fully compatible with ALL CoreRPG based rulesets. There is absolutely no 5E ruleset code referenced at all. I just pushed an update on mine, so players also have the option to select on turn and can choose between only their owned characters, all PCs, and all friendly in the CT. I need to make my own thread about it.

The very first line in the description of said extension: "This is an EXTENSION for use with the Fantasy Grounds VTT and specifically the D&D 5E ruleset only!"

That very, very clearly is marking it as 5E only.

I understand that's what you have to say to be able to put it on DM's Guild, and that currently DM's Guild is the only place licensed to sell FG extensions. Thus my mini-rant about how it sucks that DMs Guild has that requirement. I'm not trying to blame you for the situation.

mattekure
May 21st, 2021, 21:46
The very first line in the description of said extension: "This is an EXTENSION for use with the Fantasy Grounds VTT and specifically the D&D 5E ruleset only!"

Ahh, I see. Yes you are correct. Rob adds that disclaimer for DMsGuild benefit. In this case, there is nothing 5E about it. Anyway, I dont want to flood this thread with my own extension discussion, I created a thread specifically for mine here.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?68658-Select-On-Turn

Hopefully once the Smiteworks Solution becomes available, those kinds of posting restrictions will go away and it will be much easier to find compatible extensions.