PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the new lighting effects

Percias
May 18th, 2021, 22:04
I was reading through the wiki and watching the videos and it suggests making custom effects for your campaign. I understand this concept, but my question is why make custom effects for presets when they already exist. Like for example if my players carry torches and they want to add the effect for a torch on their character why couldn't they just drag and drop (or click if they have their token selected) on the already existing torch preset? Another question, is there a way to add dim or bright light ranges to a custom effect? Right now if I say LIGHT: 20 it will give me 20' of bright and 40' of dim. I want to make an effect that only uses dim light. I tried LIGHT: 20 DIM (and lowercase dim) but that didn't work. I know I can just go and make something for the token with the map menu open but I wanted to make a custom one to speed up the game.

Kelrugem
May 18th, 2021, 22:18
I was reading through the wiki and watching the videos and it suggests making custom effects for your campaign. I understand this concept, but my question is why make custom effects for presets when they already exist. Like for example if my players carry torches and they want to add the effect for a torch on their character why couldn't they just drag and drop (or click if they have their token selected) on the already existing torch preset? Another question, is there a way to add dim or bright light ranges to a custom effect? Right now if I say LIGHT: 20 it will give me 20' of bright and 40' of dim. I want to make an effect that only uses dim light. I tried LIGHT: 20 DIM (and lowercase dim) but that didn't work. I know I can just go and make something for the token with the map menu open but I wanted to make a custom one to speed up the game.

About the second question: This is supported, e.g. LIGHT: 20/30 torch will give a torch effect where the dim light has just a 30ft. range :)

About the first question: I am not sure if I understand, but I think it is currently a bug that players cannot see the light presets in the effects' window. I think the mentioning about custom effects is for the spells adjusting light and vision? Or maybe they spoke about the light presets in the campaign options?

Zarestia
May 18th, 2021, 22:25
If you only want dim light, you would need to write/edit/create it like 0/10, so there is no bright light.

Go into Options -> Token Lights and you can add here your custom presets if you want (like Kelrugem said).

https://i.imgur.com/DRhGszU.jpg

Percias
May 18th, 2021, 22:42
Oh and I forgot if I go and set the token light to 0' bright and 20' dim then they can see other tokens on the map. Is that how lighting works? I thought that dim light made the area lightly obscured which only gave you disadvantage to perception checks. I am asking all this because in the Sunblight Fortress in ROTF it states that it is dimly light in most areas by the braziers of burning coals and my players wanted to sneak around and not use any other light sources but the ones without darkvision were unable to see any tokens even they where in the adjacent square.

Percias
May 18th, 2021, 22:48
About the second question: This is supported, e.g. LIGHT: 20/30 torch will give a torch effect where the dim light has just a 30ft. range :)

About the first question: I am not sure if I understand, but I think it is currently a bug that players cannot see the light presets in the effects' window. I think the mentioning about custom effects is for the spells adjusting light and vision? Or maybe they spoke about the light presets in the campaign options?

Yeah I was playing with it after I asked this and i noticed for the darkness preset it said 15/15 so i played with that. As far as what I mean for the first question is the video show the narrator added custom effects for a candle a torch etc so that the players can use them and I was wondering why add them if they are already in the game. But i think you answered that if you are saying there is a bug that doesnt allow players to see those presets.

Percias
May 18th, 2021, 22:50
If you only want dim light, you would need to write/edit/create it like 0/10, so there is no bright light.

Go into Options -> Token Lights and you can add here your custom presets if you want (like Kelrugem said).

https://i.imgur.com/DRhGszU.jpg

if you set bright to 0 you can't see other tokens on the map. I set it to 1 for bright and it seems to work fine.

Zarestia
May 18th, 2021, 23:25
if you set bright to 0 you can't see other tokens on the map. I set it to 1 for bright and it seems to work fine.

Works for me. In the attachments you can see my preset configuration and my token seeing an aboleth enemy. When I move 5 ft. to the left, I can't see the enemy anymore.

One can see other tokens in dim light and darkvision. Only when you have no vision (black or fog of war) you can't see tokens. Be sure to check if you've got ambient light enabled.

Be sure to check video 18-21! https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity

Percias
May 19th, 2021, 00:37
Works for me. In the attachments you can see my preset configuration and my token seeing an aboleth enemy. When I move 5 ft. to the left, I can't see the enemy anymore.

One can see other tokens in dim light and darkvision. Only when you have no vision (black or fog of war) you can't see tokens. Be sure to check if you've got ambient light enabled.

Be sure to check video 18-21! https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity

It seems to be working now even with 0 in the bright. I don't know what I was doing earlier but as I keep playing with this feature I am learning how it works. Now if someone can explain what the falloff does I have played with that and not noticed anything different.

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2021, 00:56
It seems to be working now even with 0 in the bright. I don't know what I was doing earlier but as I keep playing with this feature I am learning how it works. Now if someone can explain what the falloff does I have played with that and not noticed anything different.
Watch the videos linked above. Particularly the ones on adding lights and token lights.

Percias
May 19th, 2021, 01:31
Watch the videos linked above. Particularly the ones on adding lights and token lights.

I just watched them the one thing I was unbale to do was set a near/far range for vision on a custom effect but if I do it manually through the menu it works.