PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds - Beta v5.3.0 Release

Ikael
May 18th, 2021, 18:49
Savage Worlds Adventure Edition v5.3.0 and Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition 4.11.0 are now available in Test mode.

Test Mode can be accessed by selecting the Settings button from the Fantasy Grounds launch screen, changing Build Channel to Test in the Advanced tab, and then selecting Update button to update the files to the test version.

Key Things
1) Always backup your campaign data before running the test version
2) If the GM is running on test then all of the players will also be running on test
3) If you encounter an issues log them here

Changelog
[Added] CT combatants can be edited by opening records from shortcut link
[Added] Edit button added to combat tracker
[Added] Ungroup button added to combat tracker
[Added] PC sheet supports animal smarts
[Added] Built-in in support for Low Light Vision, Night Vision and Darksight visions
[Added] Vision and light effects can be defined into character item and abilities
[Added] Modifications fields for item records
[Added] Modifications fields for all armor types
[Added] Wild die can be defined for non-wild card character with effects framework
[Added] PC portrait right click option to whisper
[Updated] Combat tracker layout updated
[Updated] Add combatant to combat tracker group by dropping shortcut link into action card icon
[Updated] Combat tracker performance improvements
[Updated] NPC wild card status can be toggled with a click
[Updated] Vehicle's combat tracker wild card status will affects rolls made from the vehicle sheet
[Updated] Change combat tracker visibility, faction, identified and wild card values for all group member values by holding ALT down
[Updated] Lightning settings updated to match Savage Worlds rules
[Updated] Distracted, vulnerable, entangled, bound, stunned and the drop effects can be applied to other combatants from effects list
[Updated] Non-wild card NPCs can have bennies in combat tracker
[Fixed] Attacking PC vehicle uses characters's size. Fixed
[Fixed] Occasional script error when removing combatant. Fixed
[Fixed] Script error when toggling AFK. Fixed
[Fixed] Add all PCs to combat tracker does not work. Fixed
[Fixed] Script error when using light effect presents. Fixed
[Fixed] NPC numbering started with 2. Fixed
[Fixed] Combat tracker group removal was flunky. Fixed
[Fixed] Party sheet bennies field was updated with wrong information. Fixed
[Removed] Combat tracker group button removed. Groups can be managed with action card and combat tracker edit buttons, see above
[Removed] Combat tracker groups collapse feature removed for sake of simplicity and consistency
[Removed] Combat tracker extract from group by drag feature removed. Use combat tracker edit feature to extract combatants, see above
[Removed] Option "CT: Host controls client CT" removed for sake of simplicity and consistency
[Removed] Option "CT: Group members inherit leader's values" removed

Mike Serfass
May 19th, 2021, 04:34
Thanks for your work Ikael! CT enhancements are nice.

Will 5.3 have support for lighting and vision? For example:

Racial abilities like low light vision will giving the character darkvision automatically without the need to use VISION: darkvision in CT or adding token vision

The ability to put vision and light effects on characters like we can put other effects on them (i.e. a glow worm that has the "glow" ability with LIGHT: 3 FF00C709 so when I drop it on the map it automatically has that light effect)

The ability to put light and vision effects on items (i.e. ring of darkvision, glowing sword) that kick in when equipped

Thanks!

Ikael
May 19th, 2021, 12:55
These changes will be soonish available in Test

Changelog
[Added] Built-in in support for Low Light Vision, Night Vision and Darksight visions
[Updated] Lightning settings updated to match Savage Worlds rules
[Fixed] Script error when using light effect presents. Fixed
[Fixed] Add all PCs to combat tracker does not work. Fixed

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/274634463860883458/844547546705428480/sw530_02.gif?width=1330&height=676

amerigoV
May 19th, 2021, 20:37
As always, thank you for all the hard work Ikael. Looking forward to Full Frontal Lighting (whatever that means, but there you go).

smokebadger
May 19th, 2021, 20:44
Yes thank you so much for this.

kronovan
May 19th, 2021, 20:53
I'm using FGU Ultimate and I can't follow the instruction the OP describes. I have a [Setting] button on the main FGU launcher, but once the dialog (it's actually a tabbed form) displays, I have to click an {Advanced} tab to see anything related to different types of installs. I also don't have a "Mode" setting, but do have a "Build Channel" drop-down box, of which "Test" is one of the menu options. Further to that I do not have an [Update] button on that tab, but do have [Uninstall], [Cancel] and [Save] buttons. On another tab named {Troubleshoot} I have 5 buttons, one that's labeled [Force App Update]. Is that perhaps the "Update" button the OP is referring to and do I need to click it?

Sorry if this seems straight forward to others that are more familiar with this process, but the OP's description just doesn't read like what I observe with my FGU application. I need some clarification on this.

Ikael
May 19th, 2021, 21:45
Available soonish in Test mode

Changelog
[Added] Modifications fields for item records
[Added] Modifications fields for all armor types

PS: I also updated the first post description how to enable Test mode according.

Jiminimonka
May 19th, 2021, 21:57
Thanks for your work Ikael! CT enhancements are nice.

Will 5.3 have support for lighting and vision? For example:

Racial abilities like low light vision will giving the character darkvision automatically without the need to use VISION: darkvision in CT or adding token vision

The ability to put vision and light effects on characters like we can put other effects on them (i.e. a glow worm that has the "glow" ability with LIGHT: 3 FF00C709 so when I drop it on the map it automatically has that light effect)

The ability to put light and vision effects on items (i.e. ring of darkvision, glowing sword) that kick in when equipped

Thanks!

Set it to Test - the save, and Update. Boom!

amerigoV
May 20th, 2021, 01:15
So playing around with the test version.

1. The new grouping fixes the application of effects from the quickbar to an NPC in the group - thank goodness :)

2. There is a weird display for some NPCs when they are grouped. See the attached picture at what I circled in red. That is a standard orc. If I do a roll (even from those stats) it rolls the right dice, just the display is wrong. This happens if I add a creature to the CT, then group them. If I drag the link directly from the NPC menu to the Action Card, it groups it and displays the correct stats.

Mike Serfass
May 20th, 2021, 04:35
@Ikael

I'm very much looking forward to this update!

btw, shouldn't <distance><diagmult> in gameelements.xml be set to 1 rather than 1.5, since swade measures diagonal distances as 1"? Sorry to be nit picky, but that throws off all the players (and me). They measure distance with the pointers a lot.

Thanks for your awesome work!

Ikael
May 20th, 2021, 16:49
Available soon in Test mode

Changelog
[Added] Vision and light effects can be defined into character item and abilities
[Updated] Distracted, vulnerable, entangled, bound, stunned and the drop effects can be applied to other combatants from effects list

Jiminimonka
May 20th, 2021, 20:20
Truly amazing Ikael!

Ikael
May 20th, 2021, 22:43
@Ikael

I'm very much looking forward to this update!

btw, shouldn't <distance><diagmult> in gameelements.xml be set to 1 rather than 1.5, since swade measures diagonal distances as 1"? Sorry to be nit picky, but that throws off all the players (and me). They measure distance with the pointers a lot.

Thanks for your awesome work!

Years ago I was asking the same question myself and did some research and testing regarding it. I don't recall reasons but I came to conclusion that 1.5 is needed when using square grid. Nowadays I recommend using hex grid because it is now fully supported and IMO it works much better with SavageWorlds, especially if you use FGU and change grid to be transparent.

amerigoV
May 21st, 2021, 00:04
This is coming together very nicely!

1. The Targeting using the Target/Spell Effects/Quickbar is working again - yea!
2. The item I posted about above with the weird stats thing in the CT depending on how you group is fixed.
3. The light effect on items (candle, torch, etc) is working nicely.

The effect from the Light Power does not look to be working. I tried several ways but while there is an effect in the CT, its not providing light.

Dr0W
May 21st, 2021, 05:49
I get [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_effect.lua"]:318: setNumberData: Invalid parameter
Whenever I try to drag the light effects from the Effects window. Clicking them and dragging them from the chat seems nice.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a change in TEST, but it appears that I cannot drag and drop attacks & damages to the Hotbar anymore.

Jiminimonka
May 21st, 2021, 08:54
I get [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_effect.lua"]:318: setNumberData: Invalid parameter
Whenever I try to drag the light effects from the Effects window. Clicking them and dragging them from the chat seems nice.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a change in TEST, but it appears that I cannot drag and drop attacks & damages to the Hotbar anymore.

I'm not getting those errors in Test. I get them in Live.

Ikael
May 21st, 2021, 09:37

You should run update in Test. That was fixed yesterday

Doswelk
May 22nd, 2021, 06:28
Years ago I was asking the same question myself and did some research and testing regarding it. I don't recall reasons but I came to conclusion that 1.5 is needed when using square grid. Nowadays I recommend using hex grid because it is now fully supported and IMO it works much better with SavageWorlds, especially if you use FGU and change grid to be transparent.

We have been having some issues with gang up on a hex grid lately, these days on FGU is use a square grid, with lock to grid switched off.

Dr0W
May 22nd, 2021, 07:21
You should run update in Test. That was fixed yesterday
The attacks to the hotbar work now. But when I drag a Light button from the effects page it still displays a LUA error. No extensions, checked for folders on the Test ruleset folder, even deleted and had SWADE ruleset and CoreRPG to download again.

We have been having some issues with gang up on a hex grid lately, these days on FGU is use a square grid, with lock to grid switched off.
What is going on? I remember it used to glitch a lot back in the day, but after Ikael said it works fine now I gave it a try and seemed to be working perfectly.

Jiminimonka
May 22nd, 2021, 09:58
On a hex grid - moving closer and range increases?
MP4 attached!

I am testing Ganging Up bonus, working fine at the moment.

Ikael
May 22nd, 2021, 11:09
Available in Test in next update

Changelog
[Fixed] Script error when dragging light present. Fixed
[Fixed] Light and Darkness power lights does not work. Fixed

amerigoV
May 23rd, 2021, 03:22
Available in Test in next update

Changelog

[Fixed] Light and Darkness power lights does not work. Fixed

Unless its not in the update pushed today, that is still not working for me. Attached pic has the light power from the Preset on the torch token, and its working. The Light Power effect from the Light/Darkness power on poor Karl is not working (If I select Karl, he is stil in a dark area, but if I move that torch token to the other side of the tree it lights the area up)

Jiminimonka
May 23rd, 2021, 09:18
Unless its not in the update pushed today, that is still not working for me. Attached pic has the light power from the Preset on the torch token, and its working. The Light Power effect from the Light/Darkness power on poor Karl is not working (If I select Karl, he is stil in a dark area, but if I move that torch token to the other side of the tree it lights the area up)

Not sure if the effects in the spells Lightness/Darkness are the appropriate ones to use (or if they have even been changed yet), you can go to Effects and use Spell - Darkness and Spell - Light and those work perfectly.

Did the working of the effects in the spells change between Live and Test?

Jiminimonka
May 23rd, 2021, 09:30
If you go in to Settings and click on the Token Lights button, you can edit the Spell - Darkness and Spell - Light - and possibly use that same editing for the spell effect (edit the spell).

Ikael
May 23rd, 2021, 10:46

The thing is that light presents are created on campaign creation. If there was a bug in light presents and you created campaign, you are stuck with broken presents. To see the fixed presents, either create new campaign or manually delete light presents from campaign db.xml

I have wrote about this concern to Smiteworks and requested if CoreRPG could have mechanism to update presents on the fly.

Jiminimonka
May 23rd, 2021, 11:20
The thing is that light presents are created on campaign creation. If there was a bug in light presents and you created campaign, you are stuck with broken presents. To see the fixed presents, either create new campaign or manually delete light presents from campaign db.xml

I have wrote about this concern to Smiteworks and requested if CoreRPG could have mechanism to update presents on the fly.
Oh, I see - yes just made a new campaign and spells are coded differently now.

amerigoV
May 23rd, 2021, 18:50

That is it - its working now from the power. If that does not get fixed in CoreRPG please lets us tech folk know how to fix it (I am not much about xml).

Ikael
May 23rd, 2021, 20:02
Available in Test in next update,

Changelog
[Fixed] Script error on client side when removing combatant from combat tracker

amerigoV
May 23rd, 2021, 20:34
Available in Test in next update,

Changelog
[Fixed] Script error on client side when removing combatant from combat tracker

This is before the above quoted changes, but I think they are separate. I just ran a pretty detailed fight with one player attached. This is a new campaign, no extensions. Overall, it went really smooth. Lighting overall worked to my understanding (I had one PC with LLV vs orcs with infravision, and I used global effect DIM lighting when the orcs were outside any light source). Apply effects (both Lighting and normal things like Wild Attack) using Targeting and quickbar were very smooth.

I did not have any errors Host side (note - I add Bennies one by one or use the CNTRL-Mousewheel in CT - that seems to avoid the Bennie LUA issue). Client/Playerside I had a couple of Lighting errors. One when I shared the map and there was lighting in place. It did not break anything, just threw the error. When I deleted an NPC that had a light effect on them it threw the error as well. It might have errored another time as well.

The only other error I had was when the player disconnected (go back to main FGU menu) it threw out the last error that does not appear to be lighting related.

All Win10 machines.

All logs from the player-side attached.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2021, 00:56
To reset the light presets for the Token Lights, just delete all the entries in Options->Token Lights, then reload your campaign.

Regards,
JPG

amerigoV
May 24th, 2021, 01:28
To reset the light presets for the Token Lights, just delete all the entries in Options->Token Lights, then reload your campaign.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks! I cleared the Token Lights that in the test campaign that was having the problem and it fixed it right up (I opened up the map that still had the token it is was all glowy :))

Ikael
June 3rd, 2021, 19:56
Available in Test

Changelog
[Added] Wild die can be defined for non-wild card character with effects framework
[Fixed] NPC numbering started with 2. Fixed
[Fixed] Combat tracker group removal was flunky. Fixed
[Fixed] Party sheet bennies field was updated with wrong information. Fixed

Ikael
June 4th, 2021, 21:07
Changelog

Jiminimonka
June 6th, 2021, 18:22
Changelog

Awesome thanks!

However this appears only to work for the GM - player can't whisper each other at the moment.

amerigoV
June 7th, 2021, 23:06
Just curious if this is about to push out or is it still going to be in Test for awhile? I have a game Wednesday (6/9) and I may push my players to the Test version if its not coming out on the normal Tuesday updates. It seems much cleaner then the current build at the moment.

Jiminimonka
June 7th, 2021, 23:24
Just curious if this is about to push out or is it still going to be in Test for awhile? I have a game Wednesday (6/9) and I may push my players to the Test version if its not coming out on the normal Tuesday updates. It seems much cleaner then the current build at the moment.

I don't think its ready yet. @Ikael said he wants to get the documentation done as well. But it is stable enough to run a game on now if you get everyone on Test.

amerigoV
June 7th, 2021, 23:35
I'll run the game on Test and report back any oddities.

amerigoV
June 11th, 2021, 09:07
I'll run the game on Test and report back any oddities.

Oddly enough, I really do not have any oddities to report. There might have been one - one person on a Mac did not seem to be able to use a bennie to soak. But he was otherwise spending bennies and doing normal things. That said, it just could have been a case of player-itis - ie, forgetting how how to do something despite the verbal direction (and it had been a month since the last game). So I am not convinced it was a bug just yet.

It was an overall light combat night, so not a stress test. I was pleased to be able to toss out a camp map and add a couple of campfires (a base camp map, check the grid, toss out two campfire assets, then add lighting) all on the fly. Worked nicely and set the mood.

Next up (in 2 weeks) - a classic stagecoach chase (this is Deadlands).

Jiminimonka
June 11th, 2021, 10:12
I think 5.3 is a big overhaul for SWADE to enable features I'm Savage Pathfinder like multiple arcane backgrounds etc.

So far I have had no issues with it either.

Eru the One
June 12th, 2021, 18:27
Didn't see a place for SWADE edges: Expert/Master Legendary edges are an earlier version of the rules text, current is v5.7.

Jiminimonka
June 12th, 2021, 18:55
Didn't see a place for SWADE edges: Expert/Master Legendary edges are an earlier version of the rules text, current is v5.7.

I don't understand what you are saying.

amerigoV
June 14th, 2021, 02:30
I am not sure if this is a SWADE issue or a FGU issue. I was testing out some maps with LOS and lighting. Using the current test SWADE and FGU (4.1.4). The player is seeing further than the what I think they should see. I did this both with a torch as equipped from inventory and as a effect in the CT. In both cases, the "player view" on the Host side shows I believe the right distance for a torch - 2 squares bright, 4 squares dim. But the client side (this is with a separate computer attached) sees a couple of squares further. See the attached screen captures.

GMview.png is the Host with player's view on.
playervision.png is what the client is seeing.

Jiminimonka
June 14th, 2021, 11:07
I am not sure if this is a SWADE issue or a FGU issue. I was testing out some maps with LOS and lighting. Using the current test SWADE and FGU (4.1.4). The player is seeing further than the what I think they should see. I did this both with a torch as equipped from inventory and as a effect in the CT. In both cases, the "player view" on the Host side shows I believe the right distance for a torch - 2 squares bright, 4 squares dim. But the client side (this is with a separate computer attached) sees a couple of squares further. See the attached screen captures.

GMview.png is the Host with player's view on.
playervision.png is what the client is seeing.

Its general issue. I was adding lighting to a map yesterday and the client (player) view was different from the GM view. Players lighting and map lighting was not working or was behaving unexpectedly. I had to unshared and reshare or just reshare the map for them to sync.

savagegm
June 21st, 2021, 09:15
I wanted to create a specific background and Decal for for a setting.

I used the GMW Campaign Toolkit application to create a decal extension and a background extension.
When I load FGU in "live mode" they extensions load, are selectable, and work just fine.

When I load FGU up in test mode the extensions do not show up to be selected.

amerigoV
June 21st, 2021, 14:29
I wanted to create a specific background and Decal for for a setting.

I used the GMW Campaign Toolkit application to create a decal extension and a background extension.
When I load FGU in "live mode" they extensions load, are selectable, and work just fine.

When I load FGU up in test mode the extensions do not show up to be selected.

Did you make this after having used the Test Channel? If so, you would need to copy over any extensions into the test channel after the initial copying the system does upon first using Test.

Also, you can set pictures from Assets as your tabletop background now, if you were not aware (pull up the asset and one of the buttons is to use it for a background).

Jiminimonka
June 21st, 2021, 18:39
What @amerigoV said. ;)

savagegm
June 21st, 2021, 21:55
Did you make this after having used the Test Channel? If so, you would need to copy over any extensions into the test channel after the initial copying the system does upon first using Test.

Also, you can set pictures from Assets as your tabletop background now, if you were not aware (pull up the asset and one of the buttons is to use it for a background).

I had previously used settings to to set FGU to use the Test channel.
I then created my extensions.
I put my extensions into my Data folder FGU/Extensions folder.
I see now there is a specific test folder for the extensions and I should have put them in the FGU/Channels/Test/Extensions folder.

Sorry, but thank you for the clarification.

amerigoV
June 21st, 2021, 23:39
I had previously used settings to to set FGU to use the Test channel.
I then created my extensions.
I put my extensions into my Data folder FGU/Extensions folder.
I see now there is a specific test folder for the extensions and I should have put them in the FGU/Channels/Test/Extensions folder.

Sorry, but thank you for the clarification.

Np!

Nightpaw
June 23rd, 2021, 12:05
Hi there,

I had an update today and now the SWD Modules (SW Deluxe Player Guide, SW Deluxe GM Guide) won't show up in my libraries any more, though I have the modules loaded. Is this a known bug? I also get some Errors.

Thanks and Regards
N.

Ikael
June 23rd, 2021, 15:31
Hi there,

I had an update today and now the SWD Modules (SW Deluxe Player Guide, SW Deluxe GM Guide) won't show up in my libraries any more, though I have the modules loaded. Is this a known bug? I also get some Errors.

Thanks and Regards
N.

Thank you for report, this has been addressed as hotfix.

Ikael
July 2nd, 2021, 10:15
Savage Worlds v5.3.x Beta discussion is continued here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?69460-Savage-Worlds-v5-3-x-Beta-Testing)