PDA

View Full Version : Can FG support board games such as Advanced Squad Leader?

Larsenex
May 18th, 2021, 16:16
Greetings,

I am a ardent supporter of Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds.

I am currently GM'ing a couple if campaigns of Pathfinder 2e.

I also have a life long love for ASL (Advanced Squad Leader).

I have if I counted it up probably 3 to 4 thousand dollars in modules, rare magazines, 3rd party out of print scenario packs.

Love the game, just love it. However its learning curve is perhaps the steepest I know as the rule book is several inches thick.

Can Fantasy grounds support such a game if it wanted to? Its maps are all relatively small hex based ones and well tokens are very simple.

Just curious if this topic and this game has been inquired about before and what the reply was.

Happy Tuesday!

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2021, 16:20
I don't think so. It's a pretty complicated game; but you could have a look at MoreCore.

damned
May 18th, 2021, 16:21
Better off in something like Tabletop Simulator.

LordEntrails
May 18th, 2021, 16:25
Not well. The biggest issue with FG and Board games is the GM/Player structure. The GM owns everything and players can't really 'control' much.

I believe Vassal Engine already has most/all of the ASL rules and modules. It's pretty old technology and interface, but its free.

superteddy57
May 18th, 2021, 16:33
I've played Battletech, Sharpe's Practice (converted to more grid base system), Two Hour Wargames, and Gloomhaven using FG. The only set back for me was in double blind situations. Those table top games also that require a more free roam measurement system also loses it's feel. If it can be supported by a square or hex grid were easy to use with the program. It had it's hiccups from time to time, but was still playable.

GunnarGreybeard
May 19th, 2021, 02:27
I also have a life long love for ASL (Advanced Squad Leader).

I have if I counted it up probably 3 to 4 thousand dollars in modules, rare magazines, 3rd party out of print scenario packs.

Love the game, just love it. However its learning curve is perhaps the steepest I know as the rule book is several inches thick.

Can Fantasy grounds support such a game if it wanted to? Its maps are all relatively small hex based ones and well tokens are very simple.
I would say your best bet would be using the VASL module that is for the VASSAL Engine that LordEntrails mentioned.

ShotGun Jolly
May 19th, 2021, 07:43
Yeah, Vassal is the bomb for it. Seeing it was developed specifically for SL and ASL back in the day. I used Vassal alot!