PDA

View Full Version : Custom ruleset reskinning question

Yggdrasil
July 25th, 2007, 18:23
Hello! I've been preparing to use FGII for a post-apoc setting, one which I didn't feel the default art was really appropriate for, so I've gone ahead and edited the vast majority of the existing FGII images to something more suitable.

My question is, if I keep the names of the old files, but keep the files in the (frames, Icons folder, etc.) appropriate place within the directory tree of the custom ruleset, will they new images be used by my players, or will it just default to the basic FGII artwork?

Any information, links to posts that handle basic reskinning, or anything of the sort would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching the forums, but haven't found much that isn't in XML33tsauce speak.

Malovech
July 25th, 2007, 18:35
My question is, if I keep the names of the old files, but keep the files in the (frames, Icons folder, etc.) appropriate place within the directory tree of the custom ruleset, will they new images be used by my players, or will it just default to the basic FGII artwork?

It should. As long as you've setup a custom ruleset (even if its just d20 with some tweaks) I believe the system is able to detect "last edited/modified" when you change a file and force the player to download it as an update.

Dachannien
July 25th, 2007, 20:19
In order to use any custom content, you have to define a new ruleset. The entire ruleset will then get downloaded to your players. You then copy the d20 ruleset into your custom ruleset, and change any files you want to change. There's no "if the file doesn't exist, revert to the default" anymore like there was in 1.05.

Yggdrasil
July 26th, 2007, 00:56
Thank you both!

Just out of curiosity, will that custom ruleset continue to update at a later date? For instance, lets say I really don't like the background image 3 sessions in, will I be able to replace it and have the players receive the updated image when we log on to play our forth?

joshuha
July 26th, 2007, 01:16
Yes, their local cached copies of the ruleset will automatically detect a change in the timestamp of your file and redownload the changed files.

Yggdrasil
July 26th, 2007, 01:39
Ha! This program rocks. Thanks again.