PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Comminity Ruleset?

thrylax
July 23rd, 2007, 19:04
I have gone through the forums over the last few weeks and picked up snipets of code from here and there and used it to create a custom ruleset that I called "d20 Plus". A lot of people I have been playing with have asked for copies of it and the changes I made to the ruleset seem to be the same things that most people with custom rulesets end up with as well.
Anyway, this got me thinking that maybe we should all get together a create a custom Comminty Ruleset project where we can all get together and make a whole bunch of improvements to the base d20 ruleset and then make it available for everybody to use.
I'm not talking about making new rulesets for other copywrited systems here, but rather making useful modifications to the standard d20 ruleset which allow greater functionality for regular D&D and d20 games.
If anybody thinks this is a good idea please post your thoughts here and we can get this ball rolling.

joshuha
July 23rd, 2007, 19:38
One issue with this though is there are certain things off limits. You can't really change any of the windowclasses for things like NPCs without breaking the modules that come with the d20 set.

For other things this would be fine but I would contact Smiteworks first before you distribute it because they do own copyright on all the graphics and I am assuming the code (which they have declared under d20 OGL so should be fine).

Also, one thing you have to be aware of is the OGL has some rules about too much automatation (and character creation software) and doing things like auto-calculating the results against ACs and auto-roll damage and what not would probably violate the OGL.

Any of my stuff I have posted feel free to add to it though.

Hamish
July 23rd, 2007, 19:40
I have gone through the forums over the last few weeks and picked up snipets of code from here and there and used it to create a custom ruleset that I called "d20 Plus". A lot of people I have been playing with have asked for copies of it and the changes I made to the ruleset seem to be the same things that most people with custom rulesets end up with as well.
Anyway, this got me thinking that maybe we should all get together a create a custom Comminty Ruleset project where we can all get together and make a whole bunch of improvements to the base d20 ruleset and then make it available for everybody to use.
I'm not talking about making new rulesets for other copywrited systems here, but rather making useful modifications to the standard d20 ruleset which allow greater functionality for regular D&D and d20 games.
If anybody thinks this is a good idea please post your thoughts here and we can get this ball rolling.

I totally agree, I actually have a ruleset named d20+ :)
My own useful addition is a modification to automatically calculate the XP needed for the next level. If you set this up, I'll be glad to contribute what I can. (Which isn't much at the moment, but I hope to learn more, fast.)

bonzai95
July 23rd, 2007, 19:52
I'd be happy to contribute if I had any good contributions. Mostly what I've done is locate stuff other people have done and make changes to it.

see this thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6823
Bonzai