PDA

View Full Version : Edge of Darkness for new Keeper?

RevCain
May 14th, 2021, 20:27
I'm new to FGU and Coc.... I am however well versed in other RPG games so it didn't take me long to learn the rules. I now want to start throwing some beginner sessions so my players can get used to running this system.

I bought the Starter Set (physical) and really like the progression of adventures and the way it teaches the game as you play.

So I was looking on here and found that the "Edge of Darkness" campaign is only available in version 6, and it ways something about "installing a separate program" to run it.

Does this mean that it will not run in FGU ?

Would it be possible for me to create my own adventure in FGU with materials on the web? Its not a very big adventure so I wouldn't think it would take much time.

Any advice on getting started is greatly appreciated !

vegaserik
May 14th, 2021, 20:49
I don't know how that works in FGU I couldn't find it in the store.

But good starting scenarios I know - The Haunting is probably the best single starter adventure, followed by the book Doors to Darkness. It's got some nice advice for CoC. You can easily create adventures using the story field. You just click the green plus and it opens a new story box for you. Same with encounters, you click the green plus and then you can drag any monster you have into that encounter. Then you can drag the encounter into the story field so when playing it's right there. Same with maps.

RevCain
May 14th, 2021, 20:58
I don't know how that works in FGU I couldn't find it in the store.

But good starting scenarios I know - The Haunting is probably the best single starter adventure, followed by the book Doors to Darkness. It's got some nice advice for CoC. You can easily create adventures using the story field. You just click the green plus and it opens a new story box for you. Same with encounters, you click the green plus and then you can drag any monster you have into that encounter. Then you can drag the encounter into the story field so when playing it's right there. Same with maps.

Excellent !!! Thanks for the fast reply. A good community means a lot so it was good to get an answer so fast. I will get The Haunting today !

Making the Starter Set adventures on my own sounds like a great way to learn how to use FGU. I've been watching the videos and am really thinking of taking a few classes from FG College.

I'm really inspired by what I see them implementing in FGU and looking forward to diving head first into learning this program !

((btw: the starter kit adventures are under the "Call of Cthulhu 6E Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds". It's the last product on the last page of items for CoC in the store)).

vegaserik
May 14th, 2021, 21:03
I would suggest image googling The Haunting because there's some amazing maps and handouts people have done for it.

Jiminimonka
May 15th, 2021, 15:15
FantasyGrounds automatically converts 6th edition CoC modules to 7th edition when you load them in a 7e campaign, but it won't do it in reverse.

Jiminimonka
May 16th, 2021, 12:14
I'm new to FGU and Coc.... I am however well versed in other RPG games so it didn't take me long to learn the rules. I now want to start throwing some beginner sessions so my players can get used to running this system.

I bought the Starter Set (physical) and really like the progression of adventures and the way it teaches the game as you play.

So I was looking on here and found that the "Edge of Darkness" campaign is only available in version 6, and it ways something about "installing a separate program" to run it.

Does this mean that it will not run in FGU ?

Would it be possible for me to create my own adventure in FGU with materials on the web? Its not a very big adventure so I wouldn't think it would take much time.

Any advice on getting started is greatly appreciated !

Just in case you missed this - Edge of Darkness runs fine in 7th edition Call of Cthulhu, no conversion needed.