PDA

View Full Version : Evidence That Rolls are Balanced in FGU

middlemaann
May 2nd, 2021, 14:42
Good Morning!
My group and I recently switched to Fantasy Grounds from R20 and we love it! Our first session was yesterday and everything was going amazing until the combat started. What was supposed to be a simple run in with a couple goblins quickly devolved into a dangerous situation because the players COULD NOT roll above a 10.

One of my players made a (Mostly Joking) comment that perhaps FGU number generation is the issue. I decided to put this to the test.

I created a mouse macro to just click the d20 macro in game over and over - total rolls 140,000
I took the chatlog.html and parsed out all the d20 rolls with python
I then sorted the list and counted how many times each number was rolled (with code of course)

Here are the results:

From this VERY basic test it would appear that the system to generate random numbers is in fact quite balanced, more so than standard dice I would wager.
Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Have a wonderful day!

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2021, 15:27
Welcome to FG and Jolly Good.

Valyar
May 2nd, 2021, 15:33
Rolls were fired! Good stuff :)

dellanx
May 2nd, 2021, 15:35
Awesome work!

Bonkon
May 2nd, 2021, 18:04
Good Day Middlemaann :)
Great Job! Need to hold on to this for the (inevitable) posting of how the RNG in FG is broken post! :)

The Decepticon
May 3rd, 2021, 02:25
14 seems to be the sweet number. Gotta get that +1 bonus for those hard saving throws.

This is great, thank you for this.

esmdev
May 3rd, 2021, 03:17
A great test, I like how the results are formatted. The numbers come up pretty close. My big question is how long does it take to roll 136,709 times in FGU. :)

middlemaann
May 3rd, 2021, 15:17
A great test, I like how the results are formatted. The numbers come up pretty close. My big question is how long does it take to roll 136,709 times in FGU. :)

I left the macro running over night. When I woke up my computer was completely frozen and I had to hold down the power button. So I would guess a couple hours of spam clicking at most. :)

damned
May 3rd, 2021, 16:15
MoreCore can roll up to 100,000 dice for you and report results in a very similar format.