PDA

View Full Version : Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)

kirklandone
April 30th, 2021, 23:36
Twice in the last month I have gotten this error running a DND 5E campaign.

I can fix it by deleting the 5e.pak file and updating, but it breaks ALL the characters weapons and spells. Anything with a die roll in it. I then have to reload all the modules for my campaign and then I have to go fix everyone's weapons and spells to add the dice (mace damage 1d6 bludgeoning, etc)

Are there any known conflicts with extensions.

Kirklandone

damned
April 30th, 2021, 23:59
Youre asking us to be prescient here.
You will need to load up with NO extensions and then add them one by one till you find a combination that is breaking.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2021, 07:31
Sounds like your 5E.pak file is getting corrupted.

Are you running FGC or FGU? Live or test channel?

Do you have any active sync/cloud backup solutions copying/backing up your FG data?

kirklandone
May 3rd, 2021, 00:35
I am running FGC and I do not have an auto backup copying/backing up the FG data.

I did copy the "broken" 5E.pak files.

Would it be possible to copy those back over... turn off all extensions and try to see if things work normally again. or will it just be messed up since I have gone and updated 5E.pak and added all the dice back into all the weapons, spells, class hit dice etc.

Or would it be best to wait until it breaks again at the next update, which I am confident it will. Then at that point try turning off all the extensions and trying to find the one that is causing issue.

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2021, 00:56
I don’t think this is being caused by an extension.

If it breaks again at the next update, upload the broken 5E.pak file here, so we can try to work out why it’s happening.

kirklandone
May 4th, 2021, 01:03
I have copies of the two times this has broken. The first time was when I updated Friday April 16th and the second time was Friday April 30th. I can attach them if you wish.

Kirklandone

Trenloe
May 4th, 2021, 08:14
I have copies of the two times this has broken. The first time was when I updated Friday April 16th and the second time was Friday April 30th. I can attach them if you wish.
Please do.

kirklandone
May 6th, 2021, 00:45
The file 5E_old.pak is the file that got corrupted the first time (April 16) and the 5E.pak got corrupted April 30th.

I will let you know if it happens again this Friday/Saturday.

Kirklandone

Trenloe
May 6th, 2021, 07:21
The file 5E_old.pak is the file that got corrupted the first time (April 16) and the 5E.pak got corrupted April 30th.

I will let you know if it happens again this Friday/Saturday.

Kirklandone
Thanks for providing those. They're definitely corrupt files.

Does the issue occur after you've ran an FG update? Or does it occur after you've been using that ruleset OK and not running update?

kirklandone
May 6th, 2021, 15:26
It happens after an update. This week, I will avoid doing the update and see if the campaign loads up nicely.

Trenloe
May 6th, 2021, 15:31
It happens after an update.
In that case something is causing the file downloaded as part of the update to get corrupted - the beginning of the file is OK, but then the remainder of it gets filled out with null characters. Why 5E.pak regularly gets corrupted, and CoreRPG.pak doesn't, I'm not sure. So either the connection is getting broken, or something on your computer prevents that file from completing the download, or something changes it afterwards.

Moon Wizard
May 7th, 2021, 00:55
Make sure that you don't have a file synching service attached to the FG Data folder (such as OneDrive, DropBox, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

kirklandone
May 18th, 2021, 02:43
I played one weekend without doing any update and everything worked wonderfully. Then this weekend (5/15) I updated again and once again got the error and 5E.pak is corrupted, all the dice for HD, Weapons, Spells were wiped out plus other errors. I am certain I am not having a download problem, it fails 100% of the time I do an update. Oh, when I do this it also unloads all the modules I had previously loaded (PHB, DMG, SKT, etc).
I will have to try again but turn off all extensions before I try to load the campaign. This time I loaded up a DCC campaign first and it worked great.
I will also try to create a very simple 5E campaign with no extensions, only basic modules and some premade characters and see if it breaks every update.

Moon Wizard
May 18th, 2021, 04:11
It sounds like something is interfering with the updater downloading the updates over HTTP. You may need to check your security software, and make sure it is not interfering with any requests from FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe, nor any files it installs.

Regards,
JPG